Why Hasn't BioWare Fixed These Issues in Mass Effect 2

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Why Hasn't BioWare Fixed These Issues in Mass Effect 2

Post by Winter »

A year or so ago I posted my annoyance with BioWare for removing Same Sex Romance Options from the first and second game and not restoring them in the Remastered Edition aka The Legendary Edition. Now the reason they said they couldn't restore these Romances was because the audio for them was lost which is frankly BS because fans have been able to restore some of them back, some of them a year after LE was released.

But there are other issues that I can't help but notice weren't addressed in LE that BioWare, for whatever reason, saw and didn't think was worth fixing. Including several quality of life improvements that they really REALLY should have included. Things that they've had over a decade to address to still haven't done so for whatever reason.

Things like scanning for resources in ME2 and ME3 which remains annoying and tedious, the fact that New Game+ for ME2 STILL doesn't carry over your upgrades for the Normandy, weapons and armor from previous playthroughs so you have to upgrade them again all over again. Or how Sprint for ME2 is still so short and is basically useless, or how enemies in ME2 have tracking shots so they'll still hit you even if the shots are visibly missing you. Or how the Hammerhead is still made of tissue paper that will blowup the second an enemy makes eye contact with it.

But for me the biggest problem I have with ME2 in the remaster, besides still not allowing me to romance Tali, is everything to do with Legion and the Reaper IFF.

Originally it was possible to wait on installing the IFF until you TOLD Edi to do so but for whatever reason BioWare decided to install the IFF when you got it which means your forced to not interact with Legion without getting your crew killed and likely several of your squad mates.

There's no reason to do this, as it prevents you from getting a ton of unique dialogue that many will likely never see because most of us don't want to get people killed.

To this day, 3 years after the LE came out I still don't know why BioWare didn't reinstall cut content or made several quality of life changes AND still insist on screwing over Legion when they DID fix a number of issues with Mass Effect 1 and 3. They gave us the ability to sprint outside of combat, gave the Mako a Boost feature, replaced Tali's photo with some original art instead of a photo shopped that was one Google. Yet ME2, the most popular game in the series, they fixed basically nothing and in many ways make it worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Why Hasn't BioWare Fixed These Issues in Mass Effect 2

Post by hammerofglass »

I do know for the upgrades on the New Gane +. A bunch of them change the ending if you have them or not including who lives or dies, so making thrm stick would lock you out from seeing the different variations which is half the point of the mode.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 am I do know for the upgrades on the New Gane +. A bunch of them change the ending if you have them or not including who lives or dies, so making thrm stick would lock you out from seeing the different variations which is half the point of the mode.
I can understand that for the ship upgrades directly tied to the Suicide Mission but the other upgrades aren't story related. The scanners, fuel, key weapon and power upgrades that are just a pain to reacquire not to mention upgrades to your body armor and weapons. While you can keep the armor and weapons from a first time playthrough you don't get to keep any of the upgrades you made to your gear.

Making matters worse is enemies are a LOT harder on NG+ and you get to keep the best armor you bought on a first time playthrough without any of the upgrades to that armor you might as well be wearing tissue paper. And after that it gets even worse because enemies are also a lot tougher and can take more damage so your weapons do less damage which includes the major weapons you acquire.

Mass Effect 3 honestly has the better NG+ because you get to keep all your gear and their related upgrades but on top of that they even allow to further upgrade your weapons to keep pace with the enemies which remains true if you load a NG+ from a NG+ save file and it annoys me that ME2 didn't try to do something similar. Again, I full get and agree needing to reacquire major plot items like the Normandy's Shields, Armor and Cannons but everything else makes the game a lot more frustrating to play on NG+ which is not a problem I have with the other games minus Andromeda but only because I only ever played it once and have no idea of NG+ works on that game.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Winter wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:22 pm
To this day, 3 years after the LE came out I still don't know why BioWare didn't reinstall cut content or made several quality of life changes AND still insist on screwing over Legion when they DID fix a number of issues with Mass Effect 1 and 3. They gave us the ability to sprint outside of combat, gave the Mako a Boost feature, replaced Tali's photo with some original art instead of a photo shopped that was one Google. Yet ME2, the most popular game in the series, they fixed basically nothing and in many ways make it worse.
Cause they made the remake cheaply and focused most on visual fidelity for the new era. Good graphics sells games. Adding a boost is just (Push button) -> (Vehicle Speed *= 3). Changing resource scan means doing a redesign of that system completely.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Because it never was a remake. ME1 got the most attention due to being the clunkiest but the intention wasn't ever to actually change anything.

To be honest if they'd done anything I'd have preferred a complete ME1 remake and leaving the other two alone, if there weren't enough resources to do everything.