Discussing the StarFortress SF-17 Bombers from The Last Jedi aka WHERE THE HELL ARE THE Y-WINGS?!?!

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
phantom000
Captain

Re: Discussing the StarFortress SF-17 Bombers from The Last Jedi aka WHERE THE HELL ARE THE Y-WINGS?!?!

Post by phantom000 »

Al-1701 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:13 am Really, it all came down to Johnson wanting to burn everything down because he's a contrarian and the leadership in Lucasfilm letting him. The Force Awakens might've been a rehash of A New Hope, but it was a fine starting point. The Last Jedi is the millstone around the Sequel Trilogy's neck, sabotaging any potential The Force Awakens and forcing The Rise of Skywalker to waste its runtime on damage control.
It's not much of a trilogy if each part is trying to undo whatever the last part did.

I think the DST is what happens when a studio tries to do an epic by committee. They wanted to do Star Wars without understanding what made the original work in the first place so when faced with a negative reaction they tried to do the exact opposite and created more problems. Instead of taking what TFA did right and building on it they simply threw it all out and started over, ultimately repeating all the same mistakes while making a bunch of new ones.
phantom000
Captain

Re: Discussing the StarFortress SF-17 Bombers from The Last Jedi aka WHERE THE HELL ARE THE Y-WINGS?!?!

Post by phantom000 »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:48 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:13 am Those things make the TIE Bomber look like the road runner in comparison. Why would the New Republic even build such a bulky and limited craft? They could have Y-Wings or better yet B-Wings that do the same job better with a single pilot and much less material.

Really, it all came down to Johnson wanting to burn everything down because he's a contrarian and the leadership in Lucasfilm letting him. The Force Awakens might've been a rehash of A New Hope, but it was a fine starting point. The Last Jedi is the millstone around the Sequel Trilogy's neck, sabotaging any potential The Force Awakens and forcing The Rise of Skywalker to waste its runtime on damage control.
It was bound to happen when they decided to make it a round robin in the first place. Would have respected them more if they'd owned it and stuck with the original plan to have a third creative team finish it up.
You know those Trek episodes where the credits for the writers is like this wall of text that nearly blocks out the entire screen and that's usually a sign that the episode stinks? I feel like the DST is SW answer to that because it has more writing credits than the Original Trilogy. Heck, it has more writers than the Harry Potter series!
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:48 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:13 am Those things make the TIE Bomber look like the road runner in comparison. Why would the New Republic even build such a bulky and limited craft? They could have Y-Wings or better yet B-Wings that do the same job better with a single pilot and much less material.

Really, it all came down to Johnson wanting to burn everything down because he's a contrarian and the leadership in Lucasfilm letting him. The Force Awakens might've been a rehash of A New Hope, but it was a fine starting point. The Last Jedi is the millstone around the Sequel Trilogy's neck, sabotaging any potential The Force Awakens and forcing The Rise of Skywalker to waste its runtime on damage control.
It was bound to happen when they decided to make it a round robin in the first place. Would have respected them more if they'd owned it and stuck with the original plan to have a third creative team finish it up.
Didn't the third creative team meant to make IX quit when they killed off Luke because it essentially blew up all their plans and they would have to start from scratch?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Winter pointed out everything that was wrong with that battle. It's the issue with Rian Johnson or one among many when it comes to the movie. He tossed in-universe logic for the sake of suspense. He did it again with the Holdo manuever.

The Holdo manuever though breaks alot of logic established in previous movies, this breaks everything including real world physics, logic and everything established in previous movies.

This isn't even the case of nerd rage of getting the colors wrong or scaling is wrong or they reused a CGI model. It just makes no sense from start to finish.
I got nothing to say here.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

McAvoy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:20 am
The Holdo manuever though breaks alot of logic established in previous movies, this breaks everything including real world physics, logic and everything established in previous movies.
There's a strong whiff of the type of idiocy that loves to trot out "but it's science FICTION!" and point out existing exceptions to reality in order to justify whatever half-arsed nonsense they dream up and can't be bothered to work on to make it make sense even in-universe. All pretty contemptible.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Riedquat wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:38 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:20 am
There's a strong whiff of the type of idiocy that loves to trot out "but it's science FICTION!" and point out existing exceptions to reality in order to justify whatever half-arsed nonsense they dream up and can't be bothered to work on to make it make sense even in-universe. All pretty contemptible.
The mental gymnastics needed to justify this scene just because for some reason they like (which in itself is fair) is ridiculous. Winter already made all of the points about what makes this bad already, so I won't repeat her.

I mean I am sort of movie goer that requires a second viewing before I see issues because I tend to get swepped away in the movie. This scene though completely took me out of it. Actually the 'your mother' joke actually did that I never got back in to the movie until later. But overall this whole movie took me out of it where I was going the whole 'what the fuck' too much. The last movie before this that did that was the Ghostbusters 2016 movie.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

I'll say this, and never ever go into it again.

Last Jedi is a super racist film. Rian Johnson, is in my opinion, a racist man given how he writes.

That is all. Now, to why no Y fighters were there... the rebellion sucks and are idiots in the sequels.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The thing that really annoys me about that movie is that all the "twists" amount to the movie lying to you and then insulting you for believing it. "I directly led you to this conclusion with shot framing, music, editing and the general language of cinema and you believed me, you idiot".

With the one exception of Snoke's death. That one was genuinely funny, I'll give him that one.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Nobody700 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:56 pm I'll say this, and never ever go into it again.

Last Jedi is a super racist film. Rian Johnson, is in my opinion, a racist man given how he writes.

That is all. Now, to why no Y fighters were there... the rebellion sucks and are idiots in the sequels.
Ok... You now have to tell us why it's racist. I have heard it has a heavy dose of misandry in it, but not racist.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

McAvoy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:23 pm
Nobody700 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:56 pm I'll say this, and never ever go into it again.

Ok... You now have to tell us why it's racist. I have heard it has a heavy dose of misandry in it, but not racist.
Sorry, like I said, never going into it. I just have the vibe when I see his stories and how he writes non white characters... oh, this man really doesn't like non white people... a lot...

Is it frustrating I refuse to reveal why? Yes. But I prefer not going into Neo Liberalism and how it ruined the world.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.