Does humanity deserve to live?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Does humanity deserve to live?

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:04 pm
Frustration wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:25 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:45 am Laugh all you want, but it seems to me a big flaw of science these days, as an institutional body and not a philosophy, is that they have made little progress into studying the non-physical world
There IS no non-physical world. Physics is all there is. How can we study the nonexistent?
That science is called philosophy.
If it cannot be put through the scientific method then it isn't science.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:03 am
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:45 am Laugh all you want, but it seems to me a big flaw of science these days, as an institutional body and not a philosophy, is that they have made little progress into studying the non-physical world
There IS no non-physical world. Physics is all there is. How can we study the nonexistent?
But the non-physical world and people's ideas about it are ideas in a person's head. There are several entire fields of science all about ideas in a person's head, individually and as groups. Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Archeology, Economics, Linguistics...

Then throw in all those academic disciplines that aren't science but that you need a grounding in to do those sciences. Philosophy, History, Theology for a couple different religions...

Then add in all the physical stuff that overlaps in influencing how that particular biochemical computer operates and you've got basically all of medicine, but Neuroscience and Endocrinology (blood sugar, hormones, etc) are the most obviously relevant.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TGLS wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:10 am
Madner Kami wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:04 pm That science is called philosophy.
Well, Philosophy isn't a science but it is worth studying.
And:
There are two options. Either I am fairly clueless or I wrote it on purpose the way I did. Which of the two options seems more likely?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:16 pm
TGLS wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:10 am
Madner Kami wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:04 pm That science is called philosophy.
Well, Philosophy isn't a science but it is worth studying.
And:
There are two options. Either I am fairly clueless or I wrote it on purpose the way I did. Which of the two options seems more likely?
Third option: simple mistake
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Philosophy and science are subject to the same construct of logical proofing. Science was born out of philosophy and is more tailored for extrapolation while philosophy has always been about eliminating conditions of logical uncertainty for a given subject under any circumstance.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:17 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:16 pm
Third option: simple mistake
Context matters.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Sigh. Madner is totally correct that we have philosophy to give foundation to this kind of stuff, but in no way does any credible philosophy have bearing to prove that mythological worlds exist.

What we have that emerges out of more social doctrines and less innate physical doctrines is cultural studies by means of sociology and anthropology that come to mind for broad based study, along with more specific social studies in the form of legal, academic, journalistic, or psychological pursuits that can all put respective patterns to society that altogether can easily explain spiritual phenomena.
Power laces... alright.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:36 pm Sigh. Madner is totally correct that we have philosophy to give foundation to this kind of stuff, but in no way does any credible philosophy have bearing to prove that mythological worlds exist.

What we have that emerges out of more social doctrines and less innate physical doctrines is cultural studies by means of sociology and anthropology that come to mind for broad based study, along with more specific social studies in the form of legal, academic, journalistic, or psychological pursuits that can all put respective patterns to society that altogether can easily explain spiritual phenomena.
Also physical causes. Ergot, infrasound, mushrooms, the effects of fasting and sleep deprivation...
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:36 pm Sigh. Madner is totally correct that we have philosophy to give foundation to this kind of stuff, but in no way does any credible philosophy have bearing to prove that mythological worlds exist.

Also physical causes. Ergot, infrasound, mushrooms, the effects of fasting and sleep deprivation...
Its amazing to me that we live in a world where everyone carries a HD camera in their pocket and all the proof we have for ghosts and monsters and other such nonsense is always grainy shit shot at a distance. And when it isn't, its always something really unimpressive that even an amateur could knock up to impress the masses.
''Ooh! Its a ghost!! Look at this... can fall off a shelf. WHEEEE!!'' One million Likes on Youtube.

Its all unscientific nonsense peddled by charlatans and the easily fooled, and like you said, those who are under some affliction.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:18 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Its amazing to me that we live in a world where everyone carries a HD camera in their pocket and all the proof we have for ghosts and monsters and other such nonsense is always grainy shit shot at a distance. And when it isn't, its always something really unimpressive that even an amateur could knock up to impress the masses.
''Ooh! Its a ghost!! Look at this... can fall off a shelf. WHEEEE!!'' One million Likes on Youtube.
Didn't previously take you for the cynical type.
Power laces... alright.