Leaving the forums for a while

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Leaving the forums for a while

Post by Madner Kami »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 pm@Madner Kami I hear Asimov inspired Lucas for the concept of a Galactic Empire with a city-planet capital (Trantor instead of Coruscant).
There are older examples of what would (in hindsight), qualify as an ecumenopolis, but Asimov is pretty much the first one to popularize and manifest the concept, yes. Whether Lucas was directly or indirectly inspired by Asimov is hard to tell, given that "Foundation", the Asimov-story that introduced Trantor, was released in 1942 and city-planets were a SciFi-staple ever since.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:53 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 pm@Madner Kami I hear Asimov inspired Lucas for the concept of a Galactic Empire with a city-planet capital (Trantor instead of Coruscant).
There are older examples of what would (in hindsight), qualify as an ecumenopolis, but Asimov is pretty much the first one to popularize and manifest the concept, yes. Whether Lucas was directly or indirectly inspired by Asimov is hard to tell, given that "Foundation", the Asimov-story that introduced Trantor, was released in 1942 and city-planets were a SciFi-staple ever since.
We also have to remember that Coruscant is a 21st century idea (we know from Chuck's excellent series that ep 1 through 3 were barely if at all planned during 4 through 6.) Plenty of planet-wide cities in sci-fi before this one.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, busting out this old thread. I think I need some time away. Took a nine-day break last month. So, see ya whenever.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

You don't think you're causing a problem, do you?
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I'm not going to say it's deliberate, but the many times you have quit the forum for seemingly hours at a time is a wee bit attention seeking.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:09 am I'm not going to say it's deliberate, but the many times you have quit the forum for seemingly hours at a time is a wee bit attention seeking.
That's essentially my thought too. If he's going to take a break, take a break.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Okay, after a ten-day hiatus, I'm back. I gotta challenge the stupidity I see coming from elsewhere on the forums, where people are judging the actions of large populations of people based on the actions of a few. In this case, judging billions of people as acceptable targets. HOLY SHIT.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:06 pm Okay, after a ten-day hiatus, I'm back. I gotta challenge the stupidity I see coming from elsewhere on the forums, where people are judging the actions of large populations of people based on the actions of a few. In this case, judging billions of people as acceptable targets. HOLY SHIT.
That impulse leads nowhere good. Trust me, I know; I have to fight it, too.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Idunno, applied pacifism might be addressing symptoms, but it sure can be allieving.
Power laces... alright.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:52 am Idunno, applied pacifism might be addressing symptoms, but it sure can be allieving.
It sounded more like a "someone is wrong on the internet" impulse, combined with venting here.

The venting may be good, though. Most of us need that in some way or another.