What's the last book you've read?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Re: What's the last book you've read?

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

I just read the first two Discworld books and got my first taste of Terry Pratchett. Altogether I'd say I enjoyed them and the crazy, wonderful world Sir Terry created. The jokes weren't as funny as I expected them to be, but they earned more than a few sensible chuckles out of me. I have the first four books and will spend the new few days reading Equal Rites and Mort.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Read Equal Rites and Mort. Mort was easily the best so far, with a much better and more fleshed out narrative, with fantastic characters you can't help but love. Equal Rites was good, but the weakest of the four, but still had great characters and fantastic world-building.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

The novel version of Doctor Who: City of Death.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Night Terrors Volume 3 was the last one I finished. Not the most experimental or risk-taking horror anthology, but a good one, and good enough to make me consider that maybe I've mostly run into bad anthologies in the past. It helped that the last story was the strongest one, so it really went out on a high note.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Monster Hunter Memoirs: Grunge.

It's a fun book, though many people won't like the main character, it's a book where you're not supposed to 100% like the main character (though you do sympathize with him at certain times), and it's stated that the main character is puffing himself up a bit in his memoirs.

It's a side book to the series that starts with Monster Hunter International.

The Monster Hunter International series sits at the crossroads of 80s action movies, classic "monsters are horrifying and tougher than nails" monster movies, and a certain amount of campiness/humor. Also... guns. LOTS of guns.

Not for everyone, but definitely fun books for action/horror fans.
ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:23 pm Read Equal Rites and Mort. Mort was easily the best so far, with a much better and more fleshed out narrative, with fantastic characters you can't help but love. Equal Rites was good, but the weakest of the four, but still had great characters and fantastic world-building.
Mort is an excellent place to start the Discworld series of books. It's one of the first ones I read, and it's why I ended up reading most of the discworld books.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I just finished Axiom's End. Apparently there's a sequel that's coming out that I'm in time for preorder, so hopefully it dovetails nicely.

I haven't read any fiction in a really long time so it was fun to remember to learn to read a story again opposed to sociological literature.
Power laces... alright.
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

The Darkest Hour by Erin Hunter.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

'Poorcraft: The Funnybook Fundamentals of Living Well on Less'. A great how-to on frugal living, even if the cited info's starting to get dated. They're doing a cookbook companion in March.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1945820012/
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Legion, by Brandon Sanderson. Was uncomfortably like a YA novel, but eventually went somewhere interesting. I just don't see why he needed to go there with simplistic language and short chapters that always end on an action cliffhanger. If I wanted to read Animorphs, I'd read Animorphs.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

The only one I can think of was so crapy that youtuber KrimsonRogue refuses even touch it.