What's the last book you've read?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: What's the last book you've read?

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I just finished Truth of the Divine. It's a book by Lindsay Ellis, best known probably for her War of the Worlds 2005 review. It was a really good followup, though I goofed and only realized like 5/8's through the book that I had been reading all the bumper content as an epilogue to chapters instead of prologue.
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Madeline L'Engle's novel "The Severed Wasp".

I found it rather similar to her other realistic novel I've read, and I'm still not certain how the George Orwell essay she's referencing really fits into the story she created. An appropriately-frustrating read.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Burning through the Ciaphas Cain audiobooks. Fun little turn-off-your-brain adventure pulp, good performances that work well with the framing device that this is Cain telling his own story and probably lying a lot.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I have finished reading a book on French battleships but I am actually waiting on The Witcher series that apparently my brothee bought me for my birthday. The TV series has gotten me interested in the books. I am not much of a gamer.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:39 amMy point really is this, book burning means nothing if it's not a state mandated thing. It will always happen on the individual level.

It is a concern though if thousands or even just hundreds show up and contribute to one though.

Book burning is the past 20 years isn't solely American thing either.
Yeah I follow. I was just messing.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:41 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:39 amMy point really is this, book burning means nothing if it's not a state mandated thing. It will always happen on the individual level.

It is a concern though if thousands or even just hundreds show up and contribute to one though.

Book burning is the past 20 years isn't solely American thing either.
Yeah I follow. I was just messing.
I am just saying. Let me know when an actual state itself endorses a book burning.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Maybe the people claiming Rowling's books are Satanic can get together with the people claiming she's a transsexual-hating bigot and have a combined book-burning?
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Probably should get this moved to the actual thread then the Books We are Reading. Not burning.

Anyway still waiting on my Witcher books. I did read Warship 2020 though. Nice info on Frances first aircraft carrier.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Just started S. A. Barnes's "Dead Space". I really hope I like it.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Star Trek Coda book 1.