What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
McAvoy
Captain

What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

Post by McAvoy »

Not sure if this was done already. If it has we can create a link through this to keep it going.

So what is going on with your lives? Jobs. Personal lives. Ups and downs. Whatever.

I will go first.

Had to buy a new car. Technically a used car. I bought a 2018 Honda Civic. Originally was going to buy a 2022 Honda Civic. Turns out they are widely popular where Honda dealerships dont have the stock available. So I got the first hand sticker shock of how expensive a used car is nowadays.

So I paid $22.6k for a four year old car with 39k miles on it compared to the basic 2022 Honda Civic that I wanted which was $25k. Now granted the car I got has a little bit more with it.

Had to buy a new car because my 15 year old Nissan Altima (pre-CVT) stalled three times on Monday. More like hiccups. But I have been nickle and dimed for the past year with the car.

For reference on used cars. If my 2007 Nissan Altima was in better shape, it would be worth $6-7k.

Last time was only three weeks ago where my coolant was gone and the car was overheated. The hoses were so old that they were just leaking it from micro cracks. A interesting coolant leak sealer fixed it but it still cost me $180 that day.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I got my '02 mid-size in 2015 for 7-8k. It had 65,000 miles on it, which was both really low for how old it was and the make/model also.
Power laces... alright.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

My 09 Astra's getting a bit long in the tooth now, sounding rather rough and clutch issues (again). Annoying, because I really, really don't like modern cars full of electronic silliness (and my current one's bad enough for that).
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:15 pm My 09 Astra's getting a bit long in the tooth now, sounding rather rough and clutch issues (again). Annoying, because I really, really don't like modern cars full of electronic silliness (and my current one's bad enough for that).
Yeah my old 07 Nissan was still mostly analog but this new Honda I got has way too much. And from what I am hearing these gadgets do have issues. Alot of new cars have electrical issues.
I got nothing to say here.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Well, as apparently this is the car thread; I got a 2018 Nissan Leaf recently, as I'm now back in the office more regularly. Runs nicely, but getting an outlet put in so it can charge faster.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:30 am
Riedquat wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:15 pm My 09 Astra's getting a bit long in the tooth now, sounding rather rough and clutch issues (again). Annoying, because I really, really don't like modern cars full of electronic silliness (and my current one's bad enough for that).
Yeah my old 07 Nissan was still mostly analog but this new Honda I got has way too much. And from what I am hearing these gadgets do have issues. Alot of new cars have electrical issues.
10th gen Civics definitly not. Got a 2017 model and the worst things I went through was that a garage failed to exchange *and* refill the oil, which the car was specifically for in said garage. Well and having to exchange the breaks after three years of use, which is mostly down to me having driven the Autobahn a lot (both for work and vacation), making extensive use of the natural traits of the car and putting the pedal to the metal and thus emergency breaking a whole lot more than the average user has to (I am using the Type R's sport breaks now, on my 129hp 998ccm engined hatchback... :roll: ).

(I got no current picture of my car, imagine it with different breaks, smoked side-marker LED lights and a different grill)

As for what's going on in my life, well, I will be moving in a new home in about a month. I've been prepping my stuff a bit every day and am dreading the day when I have to dismantle my PC... Dismantling a PC to move home? Well, my PC is kinda impractical when it comes to picking it up and moving it...

On the upside, I'll have a reason and excuse to rearrange the internals and fix some issues of which I only learned through the use and had no idea during the building process. The amount of flow mechanics and piping theories I learned over the years is baffling. Let me tell you, that proper plumbing is both an art and a science, which nobody appreciates until it's broken. Treat your professional plumbers nicely, people.

On the downside, work is garbage. Got passed over for a promotion which was promised to me three years ago and am considering quitting my job as a result.

Oh well. Let me end this post with another nice thing, as CoViD isn't restricting my movements anymore and I finally got back into the hobby I had to put aside for almost two years thanks to that fucking disease (and had troubles picking up again due to aquired lethargy). Namely: traveling and (aerial) photography (click for silly amounts of pixels):

Last edited by Madner Kami on Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:56 pm
McAvoy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:30 am Yeah my old 07 Nissan was still mostly analog but this new Honda I got has way too much. And from what I am hearing these gadgets do have issues. Alot of new cars have electrical issues.
10th gen Civics definitly not. Got a 2017 model and the worst things I went through was that a garage failed to exchange *and* refill the oil, which the car was specifically for in said garage. Well and having to exchange the breaks after three years of use, which is mostly down to me having driven the Autobahn a lot (both for work and vacation), making extensive use of the natural traits of the car and putting the pedal to the metal and thus emergency breaking a whole lot more than the average user has to (I am using the Type R's sport breaks now, on my 129hp 998ccm engined hatchback... :roll: ).
Seems pretty hard to get hold of second hand Civics at the moment.

The annoying thing is that my useage pattern would really suit an electric, but I really loathe the computers on wheels that are all modern cars, which means any half decent electric car. Hopefully at some point conversions for very ordinary older cars will be reasonably affordable and decent.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:08 pmSeems pretty hard to get hold of second hand Civics at the moment.

The annoying thing is that my useage pattern would really suit an electric, but I really loathe the computers on wheels that are all modern cars, which means any half decent electric car. Hopefully at some point conversions for very ordinary older cars will be reasonably affordable and decent.
Do. Not. Go. Anywhere. Near. A. Tesla.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:13 pm
Riedquat wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:08 pmSeems pretty hard to get hold of second hand Civics at the moment.

Do. Not. Go. Anywhere. Near. A. Tesla.
I've figured that out :)
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Those are some great pictures!

Had my car in the shop for MONTHS while they were waiting on parts (just plastic shell stuff but enough to keep it from being street legal). Every dealer around me was sold out of everything but pickups and SUVs as of August. Insurance paid most of the rental so it wasn't as bad as could have been.

For new in life, I got transferred to a new department in the same company. Working days for the first time in a decade, it's nice but work being the beginning of the day not the end is a big shift. Finally got all my ID to have the same name on it, yay bureaucracy.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.