What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I finally quit the job/client that was making me miserable. Celebrating today, going to continue the job search.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Happiness? What's that? I have a job to do.

In other news, what happened to movie trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvTMN6E3Jtc

It's an interesting watch about the history of trailers, but I was a bit surprised by the resolution of the video. At the end he alludes to the fact that we don't just have one trailer now, but a barrage package of trailer, teaser, web-exclusive... down to teaser for the trailer. And it's supposed to be a modern thing.

Which is false... He mentions the iteration of the impact of blockbuster movies on the convention of trailers but, but a lot of that barrage mentioned came closer to the advent of blockbuster movies and not just the turn of the oughts/tens. There was always at least 2 trailers, a teaser, and tv exclusives back in the 90's, and the main difference today is just the fact that the internet made them hyper available.
Power laces... alright.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

I had my 33rd birthday and my kids, who I am gobsmacked seeing grown up so much, made me a picture of all five of us and it just reminds me how lucky I am to have a wonderful family, after years of fearing I'd die terribly alone and pathetically.

I also hope everyone else is doing just as wonderfully.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Good for you! Happy birthday!
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I just released a new book for my cyberpunk series: MOON COPS ON THE MOON.

https://www.amazon.com/Moon-Cops-C-T-Ph ... 0CD7QKBQJ/

(Not advertising, just sharing it)

I'm now working on a novella for a Cthulhu Anthology.

Also, re-reading THE PRISM PENTAD by Troy Denning for Dark Sun.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Nobody700 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:27 pmI also hope everyone else is doing just as wonderfully.
A week of night-shifting (which I love doing) behind me, a month of late-shifting (which works towards my natural sleep-cycle) for two months over all and a week of vacation next week ahead. Also helped a colleague find the drive to apply for a new position. Same company, almost the same occupation, but much closer to home (15 minutes drive instead of 60) and slightly better pay-grade. Pulled strings behind the curtains and whispered into the right ears the things they needed to hear to push them over the edge and his application was accepted. Didn't save the world, but made an infinitessimally small corner of it that little bit brighter. So I'd say: Yes. I am. And thank you for supporting from afar with your hopes. 😉
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:42 am
Nobody700 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:27 pmI also hope everyone else is doing just as wonderfully.
A week of night-shifting (which I love doing) behind me, a month of late-shifting (which works towards my natural sleep-cycle) for two months over all and a week of vacation next week ahead. Also helped a colleague find the drive to apply for a new position. Same company, almost the same occupation, but much closer to home (15 minutes drive instead of 60) and slightly better pay-grade. Pulled strings behind the curtains and whispered into the right ears the things they needed to hear to push them over the edge and his application was accepted. Didn't save the world, but made an infinitessimally small corner of it that little bit brighter. So I'd say: Yes. I am. And thank you for supporting from afar with your hopes. 😉
Awesome to hear!

https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/ext ... nugami.mp4
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:59 am I just released a new book for my cyberpunk series: MOON COPS ON THE MOON.

I am very jealous and wish I could get to publishing but ironically I am too busy writing comms for fans of my work while doing my IRL job and handling my kids.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nobody700 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:55 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:59 am I just released a new book for my cyberpunk series: MOON COPS ON THE MOON.

I am very jealous and wish I could get to publishing but ironically I am too busy writing comms for fans of my work while doing my IRL job and handling my kids.
Thanks, being an indie writer has its perks but it's required ten years to make a fandom and show up in sales of things like Audible and Bookbub.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Smoking turkey right now breast side up. I'm crisping the skin and hoping for a 4 hour cook or so.
Power laces... alright.