What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
clearspira
Overlord

Re: What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

Post by clearspira »

Nobody700 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:55 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:59 am I just released a new book for my cyberpunk series: MOON COPS ON THE MOON.

https://www.amazon.com/Moon-Cops-C-T-Ph ... 0CD7QKBQJ/

(Not advertising, just sharing it)

I'm now working on a novella for a Cthulhu Anthology.

Also, re-reading THE PRISM PENTAD by Troy Denning for Dark Sun.
I am very jealous and wish I could get to publishing but ironically I am too busy writing comms for fans of my work while doing my IRL job and handling my kids.
The problem is that 2023 is full of oversaturated marketplaces. Its not actually skill that puts you on the bestseller lists, or the top of Youtube, or Twitch, or even OnlyFans; its luck or its being already connected with someone famous. Most people if they make any money at all are making pennies. Your IRL job and kids are infinitely more important. If you ever do try something like this, create because you love it not because you want to sell anything. Your mental health will thank you.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:59 am I just released a new book for my cyberpunk series: MOON COPS ON THE MOON.

Good for you! :)

I'm trying a new depression treatment. Hope it at least gets rid of the depression fatigue.

Writing-wise I'm kicking around a Haunted House novel idea but it's still in the outline stage.

Still doing the job hunt. A new level of this nightmare is one potential employer asking me to submit videos of myself, which I think is illegal because potential employer's can't demand a photo from you but I'm not sure what follow-up steps I can take to see them actually punished for it and I'm not 100% clear on the law.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:23 am

Good for you! :)

I'm trying a new depression treatment. Hope it at least gets rid of the depression fatigue.

Writing-wise I'm kicking around a Haunted House novel idea but it's still in the outline stage.

Still doing the job hunt. A new level of this nightmare is one potential employer asking me to submit videos of myself, which I think is illegal because potential employer's can't demand a photo from you but I'm not sure what follow-up steps I can take to see them actually punished for it and I'm not 100% clear on the law.
They usually can if it has to do with the job. Like if it’s a modeling job then they’re understandably allowed to screen for applicants visually.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

It's not a modeling job or anything that should require visual screening. I'd be doing development and grant writing work, with a little bit of database management.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

So I googled “photo for job application in California” and one of the prompted questions read:

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE: Employers may not require or request that applicants submit photographs with their applications or require a photograph after an interview but before hiring, unless there is a defensible business reason to do so.Jan 28, 2019

You can obviously check for whichever state you reside in. Also if it’s not something you find particularly exposing for yourself in general you can ask whoever answers the phones why they require it, and proceed from there with your best judgement.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I FINALLY GOT A JOB! A JOB IN MY FIELD! 8D It's been months without income.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:16 am I FINALLY GOT A JOB! A JOB IN MY FIELD! 8D It's been months without income.
Congrats! What's your field?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:07 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:16 am I FINALLY GOT A JOB! A JOB IN MY FIELD! 8D It's been months without income.
The garden behind his parent's house. They pay him to mow the lawn now 😋

In all seriousness though: Cong Rats Fuzzy! Being monetarilly more indipendent is a big deal :)
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Congratulations Fuzzy! 🎉
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:07 am
Nonprofit fundraising. :) I'll be working at an arts org.

Thank you everyone. I've really been trying hard to find work and hoping this day would come.