What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

That’s very good news. Glad it worked out.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

My mother has been in the hospital for almost three weeks for an infection. Back in 2020 she had a kidney transplant and did spend alot of time in the hospital due to Covid and her own health.

As of today, the doctors have exhausted all of their possibilities in treating her infection and we agreed (my Dad, me and my brother) to put her on pain management. This stops the treatments which will bring her downhill fast. I suspect she won't make the weekend.

My 40th birthday is on Saturday so go figure.
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Damn. I'm so sorry. :(
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:39 pm Damn. I'm so sorry. :(
Thanks. New update. We are holding off on withholding treatment on my Mom. She is in better shape than she was days ago. She still has the infection that won't go away, but we are not willing to pull the plug on her while she is actively talking to us.

Mind you she could be on a high as far as energy levels and health but she can go low too at any moment. But we want to give her a chance and perhaps wait until it's absolutely necessary.

Mom is 73. My brother, Dad and I had a few drinks last night for my birthday. There was supposed to be a bigger party but I had that canceled because I was just not going to be in the mood.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:12 pm
Thanks. New update. We are holding off on withholding treatment on my Mom. She is in better shape than she was days ago. She still has the infection that won't go away, but we are not willing to pull the plug on her while she is actively talking to us.

Mind you she could be on a high as far as energy levels and health but she can go low too at any moment. But we want to give her a chance and perhaps wait until it's absolutely necessary.

Mom is 73. My brother, Dad and I had a few drinks last night for my birthday. There was supposed to be a bigger party but I had that canceled because I was just not going to be in the mood.
That is good news, my friend. I've been where you are right now and words are not adequate to describe the feelings of it. You will be in my prayers tonight.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:24 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:12 pm

That is good news, my friend. I've been where you are right now and words are not adequate to describe the feelings of it. You will be in my prayers tonight.
Thank you.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

My mother died on February 29th at 5:30pm.

She went downhill and the machines were only keeping her alive. She was no longer conscious either. She had a CAT scan earlier that day and her stomach was showing signs of not getting oxygen. Which indicates her stomach was dying and they were not sure as if she were to go in surgery she wouldn't survive anyway. Even she did, she would probably have no stomach on the nearly zero chance of it working anyway.

So we took her off treatments and put on end of life medicine. We were told she would last anywhere between 3 hours to a day. She lasted only an hour and a half. So obviously we made the right choice.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:11 am My mother died on February 29th at 5:30pm.

She went downhill and the machines were only keeping her alive. She was no longer conscious either. She had a CAT scan earlier that day and her stomach was showing signs of not getting oxygen. Which indicates her stomach was dying and they were not sure as if she were to go in surgery she wouldn't survive anyway. Even she did, she would probably have no stomach on the nearly zero chance of it working anyway.

So we took her off treatments and put on end of life medicine. We were told she would last anywhere between 3 hours to a day. She lasted only an hour and a half. So obviously we made the right choice.
My condolences to your loss. You did the only "good" thing you could do for her in the end of this terrible situation and prevented her from suffering any more. I'm certain she would thank you for your actions and I am also certain she, more than anything, would want to see you happy. Cry, shout, be sad, let those emotions out. But keep on living your life to your fullest satisfaction and happyness. Honor her memory that way, because she very likely was always remembering how happy your first smile made her.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'm so sorry for your loss.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:29 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:11 am My mother died on February 29th at 5:30pm.

My condolences to your loss. You did the only "good" thing you could do for her in the end of this terrible situation and prevented her from suffering any more. I'm certain she would thank you for your actions and I am also certain she, more than anything, would want to see you happy. Cry, shout, be sad, let those emotions out. But keep on living your life to your fullest satisfaction and happyness. Honor her memory that way, because she very likely was always remembering how happy your first smile made her.
That's very touching thank you.

Yeah how quick she went and peacefully was a good thing. We didn't even get a chance to second guess ourselves either which is a good thing too.