Fascism is Heroarchy

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Fascism is Heroarchy

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Bringing superheroes under government control makes sense if you don't think the government was involved in a mutant death camp like Neverland.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:13 pm Bringing superheroes under government control makes sense if you don't think the government was involved in a mutant death camp like Neverland.
How corrupt the government is or isn't in Marvel or DC is dependent on writer and era. And mutants have never made sense in Marvel anyway. They work so much better when they exist in their own universe because having the public hate mutants whilst adoring superheroes is all kinds of nonsensical. Either they love powers or they don't.

Either way, the registration act has always made sense to me. It would be nice to know that if a superhero demolishes my house that I can sue them. It would also be nice to know that due process exists.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:13 pm Bringing superheroes under government control makes sense if you don't think the government was involved in a mutant death camp like Neverland.
I think you're a bit draconian in your consideration. When you implement policy it isn't to target people. You make note of activities in an ideally indiscriminate manner and decide that the select individuals that perform the activities to the caliber specified in the policy are subject to certain stipulations of interventional conduct. That is lest they break the rules and the public starts taking note.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:29 pm I think you're a bit draconian in your consideration. When you implement policy it isn't to target people. You make note of activities in an ideally indiscriminate manner and decide that the select individuals that perform the activities to the caliber specified in the policy are subject to certain stipulations of interventional conduct. That is lest they break the rules and the public starts taking note.
Which is what I'm getting at. The assumption is that the policy being implemented is to be fair and any bad results are accidental but in the case of mutants in the Marvel comic verse (and superheroes in general to a lesser extent), a lot of the laws are deliberately designed to target them under false pretenses.

The premise of Civil War actually was pretty good at this because the New Warriors weren't stupid amateurs as the media portrayed but victims of a conspiracy. They tried and FAILED to stop Nitro.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:24 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:29 pm I think you're a bit draconian in your consideration. When you implement policy it isn't to target people. You make note of activities in an ideally indiscriminate manner and decide that the select individuals that perform the activities to the caliber specified in the policy are subject to certain stipulations of interventional conduct. That is lest they break the rules and the public starts taking note.
Which is what I'm getting at. The assumption is that the policy being implemented is to be fair and any bad results are accidental but in the case of mutants in the Marvel comic verse (and superheroes in general to a lesser extent), a lot of the laws are deliberately designed to target them under false pretenses.

The premise of Civil War actually was pretty good at this because the New Warriors weren't stupid amateurs as the media portrayed but victims of a conspiracy. They tried and FAILED to stop Nitro.
Between mutants and superheroes, one is more a Senate issue while the other is a House issue. And it's like comparing Collin Kaepernick to Trevar Martin. The controversy surrounding him is a big nuisance on some level, but it's not the same thing as the issue he's representing.
Power laces... alright.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I have increasingly grown to hate the Mutant Allegory for Marginalized people premise. Realistically the people without Superpowers are the ones who would become marginalized. The first episode of the Anime Cross Ange actually seems like the beginning of an exploration of this reversal of that common trope, but then pivots about being something else entirely.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:14 pm I have increasingly grown to hate the Mutant Allegory for Marginalized people premise. Realistically the people without Superpowers are the ones who would become marginalized. The first episode of the Anime Cross Ange actually seems like the beginning of an exploration of this reversal of that common trope, but then pivots about being something else entirely.
Mutant powers are a metaphor for the power of the oppressed to stand up against their oppressors. The oppressors have wealth, the Military Industrial Complex, social pressure, and normalization. The essential metaphor is, "What makes you different is beautiful and society will say you are hateful, ugly, and monstrous because society sucks."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I doubt mutants would take power without magneto’s regimen. Mutants aren’t inherently powerful, as there’s a bunch of people that the x-men are standing up for. And while there’s a lot more that aren’t shown, humans still outnumber them quite a bit.

Aside from that, the idea is pretty steady that they aren’t necessarily aggressive and would need some sort of contingent, which takes place in the form of Magneto.

What’s the problem with… the overall franchise… again?
Power laces... alright.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:14 pm I have increasingly grown to hate the Mutant Allegory for Marginalized people premise. Realistically the people without Superpowers are the ones who would become marginalized. The first episode of the Anime Cross Ange actually seems like the beginning of an exploration of this reversal of that common trope, but then pivots about being something else entirely.
Allegory also breaks down at several points as being say LGBT does not allow you to walk through walls, or fly, or shoot laser beams out of your eyes.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

phantom000 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:24 pm Allegory also breaks down at several points as being say LGBT does not allow you to walk through walls, or fly, or shoot laser beams out of your eyes.
To be fair, that's because it is an allegorical escapist power fantasy. Which is different. Black Panther resonated so well with black Americans because not only is he black but he's also an incredibly rich super dude. The allegory of being a mutant is that you are someone who is loathed by society but at least you get fucking awesome powers out of it.

Alan Ball used an even more problematic metaphor with vampires=gay people. When confronted on it, he basically said, "Yeah, it's problematic. However, gay people are always either the victims or villains in the media I grew up on. Here, they can just walk over their oppressors."

He especially cited a scene where Bill makes a cop piss himself when he tries to harass him and Sookie.