Fascism is Heroarchy

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Fascism is Heroarchy

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:54 am Alan Ball used an even more problematic metaphor with vampires=gay people. When confronted on it, he basically said, "Yeah, it's problematic. However, gay people are always either the victims or villains in the media I grew up on. Here, they can just walk over their oppressors."
I'd say it becomes more contingent on the quality of the art with something like that. Ultimately I think it's more innocuous than lead on when you consider lgbt issues as a proper avenue for vampirism rather than trying to suggest that the art depicts an ulterior view of vampires.

Star Trek allegory changes over time with each show or movie series having different cultural conceptions for the aliens in the series. If they were just static and never changed over time then it would be kind of verging on stereotyping and akin to more problematic recurring tropes that people tend to look down upon.
Power laces... alright.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

The trailer for Rebel Moon repeats a sentiment from the Owl Movie that I feel plays into Thomas Carlyle's Heroarchy philosophy, the idea Hero Myths are good even if they distort the truth.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

It has always been my position that Star Wars stories set after ROTJ are more interesting when they deal political difficulties of building a New Republic in the aftermath of the War. But as I look at where Disney SW has been going in it's post ROTJ stories, it seems like it's usually the Soldiers of the Rebellion who are the ones who are right and the Politicians should have listened to them. And that demilitarizing so soon was one of the big mistakes. And maybe the old EU timeline was no different, I'm no expert on it.
I want to remind of everyone of that part of the OP now that I've seen Episode 3 of Ashoka, it's continuing that theme form Mandalorian season 3.

If the OT is supposed a WW2 allegory, the problem with what that the Western Allies did after the War ended wasn't that we sat back and did nothing as surviving Nazis and Fascists regrouped because we had leaders who didn't want to keep fighting. The Problem was we actively recruited them and helped them regroup to help us with the next fight because we went right back to Considering Communism the greater Evil just like the Centrists leadership was doing before 1933.

In time the Soviets wound up working with Nazis too, but that didn't become possibly till it was Clear Israel and the USSR were going to be enemies, that's what the Antisemites who prioritized Antisemitism over all else decided Communism was now the lesser evil.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

OT was intended to be about imperialism.

One Quora answer I read about the rise of the First Order looked like an obvious parallel for the fall of the Weimar Republic, but I don't know how reliable that is.

Both of those in consideration would point more to WW1.
Power laces... alright.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:15 pm OT was intended to be about imperialism.

One Quora answer I read about the rise of the First Order looked like an obvious parallel for the fall of the Weimar Republic, but I don't know how reliable that is.

Honestly the same thing applies to WWI's aftermath leads to WW2, WWI Veterans feeling betrayed by weak Politicians resulted in the Fascist Combatants, the Freicorps and the American Legion. Yet they were used by those same Politicians to crush the Communists.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:22 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:15 pm OT was intended to be about imperialism.

Honestly the same thing applies to WWI's aftermath leads to WW2, WWI Veterans feeling betrayed by weak Politicians resulted in the Fascist Combatants, the Freicorps and the American Legion. Yet they were used by those same Politicians to crush the Communists.
That’s what I was saying… wwi had more imperialistic war implications while the disarray from the aftermath of wwi and the treaty of Versailles lead to the rise of first order like dictators that precipitated wwii.
Power laces... alright.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:27 am

That’s what I was saying… wwi had more imperialistic war implications while the disarray from the aftermath of wwi and the treaty of Versailles lead to the rise of first order like dictators that precipitated wwii.
My criticism is that blaming it on Politicians being too Passive is dangerous.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:19 am

Under what precedence?
Power laces... alright.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:15 pm

Under what precedence?
Under the precedent of everything we're been talking about.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:36 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:15 pm

Under what precedence?
Under the precedent of everything we're been talking about.
Well what you're getting at, with respect to all the good and bad considered, seems consistent no more no less with a cult of personality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_personality

It's something largely overlapping with both heroarchy and fascism.
Power laces... alright.