The Puritanical Eye

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

The Puritanical Eye

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://specchioscuro.it/the-puritanica ... rning_brew

I think it's certainly prevelant in some communities more than others, but I'd say this holds true today.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: The Puritanical Eye

Post by hammerofglass »

Honestly, good. Sex scenes in movies and television are almost always akward and tedious time filter that aren't even sexy. The only one I can think of that I don't fast forward through out of boredom is Desperado; it's gratuitous but it's actually enjoyable to watch (just like the rest of the movie really).
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I think you're missing some of the larger implications.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I'd probably agree with their wider points more if I didn't think the stuff that they're decrying corporate media and cultural shifts from taking away were terrible.

I like sex in media, I like all the different ways it can convey ideas and feelings and the human condition. Movies and TV are just consistently terrible at it.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

*ctrl F*
*m-a-r-v-e-l*
*1/7 results*
Power laces... alright.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The gilligan cut between Verhoeven boasting about the sex he added into Bendetta in for no reason other than to be provocative to calling a reviewer puritanical for saying it seemed like it was added for no reason other than to be provocative was pretty funny. I don't think the author even noticed it.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:16 pm Movies and TV are just consistently terrible at it.
No kidding. Just look at Star Trek!
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Many of the pre-Weinstein sex scenes were pretty hellish for the actors involved. We tend to forget that these are real people in a room surrounded by cameras, lights and fifteen people.

It wasn't uncommon for directors to film these scenes with no intention whatsoever of ever putting said scene into the film. It was all for their private spank bank. Fortunately there are intimacy coordinators that deal with this sort of thing now.

We must always remember the actors when discussing these subjects.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Hear hear!
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:09 pm Many of the pre-Weinstein sex scenes were pretty hellish for the actors involved. We tend to forget that these are real people in a room surrounded by cameras, lights and fifteen people.

It wasn't uncommon for directors to film these scenes with no intention whatsoever of ever putting said scene into the film. It was all for their private spank bank. Fortunately there are intimacy coordinators that deal with this sort of thing now.

We must always remember the actors when discussing these subjects.
So many stories about that.

There is a strong element of using the feminine naked form of getting tecket sales. Boons and explosions? Cool! Got to see that!

It does seem now, the choice is now there for the female actors as well as more acceptance of seeing men naked more (as in the penis) than it ever was before. Best you got was the ass and naked upper body for men but at the same time you would still see full frontal at times of women, even if covered with public hair.
I got nothing to say here.