Merry Christmas

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Merry Christmas

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I just wanted to spread a little holiday cheer.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by ProfessorDetective »

A merry Christmas to you, as well. And a Happy Holiday to everyone else.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Merry holidays, gods bless us every one!
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah, and also Happy Circumcision Day next week.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all. We may disagree on things but I rarely take the time to say how much I love each and every one of you. And that is from the heart. We are all travellers on the road of life why not walk it together? That's what I think anyway.

I got Prime for Christmas. Its 8 in the morning, I have a tea in hand, and I'm watching Lower Decks for the first time. It's actually pretty good once you go with the flow. I'm planning to watch PIC as well but I doubt that I will "flow" that as much 😅
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Happy Hogswatch, and Merry Christmas to all who celebrate. You know what Christmas is a traditional time for? That's right, GHOST STORIES!

So as a present to y'all, here is an audiobook/podcast rendition of M. R. James's Ghost Stories of An Antiquary, read by Peter Yearsley, who was born to read ghost stories with his gorgeously sinister voice.

https://librivox.app/book/383
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:29 pm Happy Hogswatch, and Merry Christmas to all who celebrate. You know what Christmas is a traditional time for? That's right, GHOST STORIES!

So as a present to y'all, here is an audiobook/podcast rendition of M. R. James's Ghost Stories of An Antiquary, read by Peter Yearsley, who was born to read ghost stories with his gorgeously sinister voice.

https://librivox.app/book/383
Happy Yuletide to you as well.
Der Leiermann

Drüben hinterm Dorfe steht ein Leiermann,
Und mit starren Fingern dreht er was er kann.

Barfuß auf dem Eise schwankt er hin und her
Und sein kleiner Teller bleibt ihm immer leer.
Keiner mag ihn hören, keiner sieht ihn an;
Und die Hunde brummen um den alten Mann.

Und er läßt es gehen , alles wie es will,
Dreht, und seine Leier steht ihm nimmer still.

Wunderlicher Alter, soll ich mit dir gehn?
Willst zu meinen Liedern deine Leier drehn?
The Organ Grinder

Over beyond the village an organ grinder stands,
And with rigid fingers grinding as he can.

Barefoot on the ice careening forth and back
And his small plate remaining ever empty.
Noone wants to hear him, noone wants to see him;
And the dogs growling around the old man.

And he lets it go, all as it wants,
Grinding, his organ never standing still.

Queer old man, shall I go with you?
To my songs, willst thou grind your organ?
The last poem in Franz Schubert's "Winter Travels"-cycle from 1827. The poem itself was written by Wilhelm Müller in 1821/22, with Schubert composing the music. It was Schubert's last work, who was already battling with death at that point and he sang his work to his friends, inviting them in to listen with the words: "I'd like to sing a cycle of eerie songs to you". He died less than one year later, aged 31.

youtu.be/pze4NxCOjg0
Last edited by Madner Kami on Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Thank you for sharing :)

So how are y'all celebrating, if at all? I'm watching Hogfather and Balto (with Balto in between the two parts) with my partner, as well as opening the presents I got from them and the ones my aunt sent in the mail. Drinking eggnog and pear brandy I picked up at the Rennaisance Faire. Had a quorn roast for lunch and am looking forward to a tofurky vegan ham with amber ale beer glaze. Also we listened to Blackmore Night's two-disc Christmas Albumn.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:05 am Thank you for sharing :)

So how are y'all celebrating, if at all? I'm watching Hogfather and Balto (with Balto in between the two parts) with my partner, as well as opening the presents I got from them and the ones my aunt sent in the mail. Drinking eggnog and pear brandy I picked up at the Rennaisance Faire. Had a quorn roast for lunch and am looking forward to a tofurky vegan ham with amber ale beer glaze. Also we listened to Blackmore Night's two-disc Christmas Albumn.
Sitting with the family, exchanging gifts we promised we wouldn't make to each other (like every year), eating Wiener sausages with potato salad and building Lego-sets with my (by the end of next week) 5 years old nephew, who enjoys using me as a horse today. *neighs*
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Sounds jolly. :)