Trans Women and comedy that punches down

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Deledrius
Captain

Re: Trans Women and comedy that punches down

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:57 pm I am going to point out most British comedy falls flat on American ears for the most part. There is exceptions to that but 95-99% of your comedy is different from ours. Culture differences.

Take for the example the differences between the two The Office shows. The American version tried in it's first season to be like the British version until they went in another direction in the second season.

Monty Python is just funny on all levels.
I mean, I'm weird so maybe not the best example, but as an American I've almost always found myself preferring the original British version than the American remake of the shows I've seen which attempted to jump over here. It's just how my sense of humor works, or at least appreciation of it in others.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:57 pm I am going to point out most British comedy falls flat on American ears for the most part. There is exceptions to that but 95-99% of your comedy is different from ours. Culture differences.

Take for the example the differences between the two The Office shows. The American version tried in it's first season to be like the British version until they went in another direction in the second season.

Monty Python is just funny on all levels.
What direction did the American version go in? I never liked ours, and it seems to be quite divisive here, I've noticed people either loved it or hated it. Embarrassment cringe comedy isn't my thing.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

From what i can glean, the American version is mainly about harassing an autistic coworker.

Also, I'd argue that "the basis of comedy is cruelty" is exactly the kind of thinking that leads to unfunny edgelords.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Basil Fawlty is also a classic example of the comedy that assumes the audience is aware the protagonist is an asshole. Even his immortal goose-stepping routine is something that actually has more than just bullying as the writers were inspired by the fact, "So, we're just supposed to pretend the whole thing didn't happen?" when dealing with German-English relations, something that other shows like Prime Minister would occasionally mock. Which IS critical of liberal-progressive attitudes and entirely justified.

Archie Bunker was famous for the fact that its production staff were all a bunch of progressive liberals who found themselves in an uncomfortable position when they realized the majority of their audience agreed with Archie whenever he went on a rant. Not just because he was ENTERTAINING when he did it but also because they made their mouthpiece into someone completely obnoxious.

For a more recognizable reference point, the star of the Simpsons has gradually moved from being Bart to being Homer.

VERY FEW Simpsons fans would name Lisa as their favorite character and Lisa is always at her funniest when she's completely wrong or getting horribly disillusioned.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:02 pm

Archie Bunker was famous for the fact that its production staff were all a bunch of progressive liberals who found themselves in an uncomfortable position when they realized the majority of their audience agreed with Archie whenever he went on a rant. Not just because he was ENTERTAINING when he did it but also because they made their mouthpiece into someone completely obnoxious.
Married with Children had this issue but perhaps to a lesser extent. Al Bundy would go on a rant about women in some super-Chad moment and the audience would cheer so loudly that the whole scene pauses. Al Bundy wasn't someone who cheered with, he was supposed to be a loser. Originally someone you could emphasize with but his character got twisted to the point he storming the Capitol (not that way) to rant about the canceling of Physo Dad.

Sure. You had counters like Peggy and obviously Marcy. But it was Al that was the hero even if he did fail each episode.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yeah, exactly, though Al was always meant to be the frustrated everyman too.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:49 pm Yeah, exactly, though Al was always meant to be the frustrated everyman too.
He was the everyman who worked a deadend loser job who peaked too early with a wife that he loved but walked over him and kids that took advantage of him. That was Al Bundy originally. You could empathize with him being a loser.
I got nothing to say here.