So who is going to see the eclipse?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
phantom000
Captain

So who is going to see the eclipse?

Post by phantom000 »

I'm going because the totality is just a couple hours away and I have never seen one before so I am doing!

Anyone else?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: So who is going to see the eclipse?

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Thought it was in April?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Nope today, but only visible in the Western US.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Went to see the 1999 eclipse. The bright, sunny morning turned cloudy by the time it started :(

At least I got to see (a bit of) the 2004 transit of Venus, and since there won't be another for a century I'm glad about that.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:24 pm Went to see the 1999 eclipse. The bright, sunny morning turned cloudy by the time it started :(

At least I got to see (a bit of) the 2004 transit of Venus, and since there won't be another for a century I'm glad about that.
2117, if I recall right. So actually less than a century. But yeah, our chances of experiencing that in this life are kinda slim (though not entirely out of the question).

And in regards to a clouded eclipse, I hear ya, I hear ya. There was nice weather in the forecast, so I gathered some astronomical toys from friends and self-purchases. Planned everything ahead aaaaaand... was in the one area of Germany were there was rain that day and had no time to travel far enough.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:10 am
Riedquat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:24 pm Went to see the 1999 eclipse. The bright, sunny morning turned cloudy by the time it started :(

2117, if I recall right. So actually less than a century. But yeah, our chances of experiencing that in this life are kinda slim (though not entirely out of the question).

And in regards to a clouded eclipse, I hear ya, I hear ya. There was nice weather in the forecast, so I gathered some astronomical toys from friends and self-purchases. Planned everything ahead aaaaaand... was in the one area of Germany were there was rain that day and had no time to travel far enough.
I understand that feeling. Back in october I did not get to see the totality, it was just too far to drive, but I was just above the partial path. The problem was it was completely overcast for miles! I drove for like 2 hours and I still could not get past the cloud cover.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:10 am

The century was approximate - it's near enough. Since I'm rapidly approaching 50 I think the odds of me being around in 2117 are pretty much zero no matter what medical improvements we get in the mean time.