Healthy food doesn't need to taste bad

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Healthy food doesn't need to taste bad

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

From tumblr user lastoneout
I know this is a tiny part of the wider problems born of diet culture, fatphobia, classicism, and racism but like god the idea that "healthy" food must inherently taste bad has completely ruined us as a society.

Every time you feel bad for having coffee with cream and sugar or ranch on your salad or putting extra butter and salt on your veggies I want you to imagine the spirit of John Harvey Kellogg in front of you and then I want you to kill him with a real gun and eat your delicious food in peace.

"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Healthy food doesn't need to taste bad

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

We figured this out around 2010.
Power laces... alright.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I can't imagine the success rate for shooting imagined spirits with a real gun is particularly high.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

There's a quite logical reason that a lot of things we call unhealthy taste good. It's because they're not unhealthy. Too much of them is though, and they're things that are very beneficial if you're a hunter-gatherer trying to survive in a tough environment. Salt's not easy to get hold of, fat is a good store of energy, and getting too much in those conditions is pretty unlikely and so on. So we've got a built-in drive to seek it out, even though we've arranged things so that we can get hold of them easily.

That said doesn't anyone feel a craving for a simple salad if they've been eating too much stodge?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Oh, I definitely crave salads. I just have a barely-repressable urge to bite anyone who says "well vegetables have a lot of sugar in them" or bitches about my choice of dressing.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville