Transphobia is just repackaged homophobia

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Transphobia is just repackaged homophobia

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
sayla0079
Captain

Re: Transphobia is just repackaged homophobia

Post by sayla0079 »

You noticed it too?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Most of these were also used for left handed folks. And women's rights, especially voting. And are currently used for autistic folks.

There should also be a second part that was racism or specifically pro-segregation before it was homophobia before it was transphobia. Most of the bathroom fear mongering, for instance.

Reactionaries have got a very small list of talking points and they use it for everything whether it makes sense or not, and it's been mostly the same list for a few hundred years.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

It just seems important to bring this all up with the Cass Report coming out. I weep for anyone who's trans in the UK.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:06 pm Most of these were also used for left handed folks. And women's rights, especially voting. And are currently used for autistic folks.

There should also be a second part that was racism or specifically pro-segregation before it was homophobia before it was transphobia. Most of the bathroom fear mongering, for instance.

Reactionaries have got a very small list of talking points and they use it for everything whether it makes sense or not, and it's been mostly the same list for a few hundred years.
I missed that how is it being used for autistic people?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

sayla0079 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:33 am
hammerofglass wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:06 pm Most of these were also used for left handed folks. And women's rights, especially voting. And are currently used for autistic folks.

I missed that how is it being used for autistic people?
Specifically "it's the parents fault" and "it's not natural". Those darn vaccines!
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Oh okay the usual B.S then that i've been hearing most of my life.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I have been saying for awhile transphobia has been steadily replacing homophobia as the 'new abominable sin'. While there still needs more work, the general acceptance of the homosexual community as a whole is a lot more accepting than it was 20 years ago. Whereas, acceptance with the trans community, I would place is where it was perhaps in the 90's.

The way I look at it, the homosexual community is getting close to acceptance of interracial marriages or coupling of let's say 40 years ago. Interracial marriages is now more or less accepted at least compared to what it was, nevermind the small percentage of those that truly believe you don't marry outside your race. I kinda figure with more and more boomers dying out, the more accepting in general society will accept homosexuals.

The big wrinkle in that with the trans community is acceptance is actually understanding. With interracial marriages, it still had in it's foundation male and female. With the homosexual community it still had male and male and female and female. Even if the concept of same sex coupling was a foreign idea.

But for many, especially those who confuse gender for sex, the idea is far more foreign. Like how can you be confused on what you are? It's just the same arguments used against the homosexual community but magnified. Trying to make this as simplified and non-offensive as possible.

I don't know if that makes sense.

Keep in mind, I am a supporter of all communities even the ones I just don't understand.
I got nothing to say here.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

I may get skewered but, that last line is my personal concern. Getting your gender changed is not like putting on a new jacket. If someone is too young to vote, too young to drink, and too young to fight for your country. How then are they old enough to make a life altering decision this big?

I think my one line in the sand is wait till you are 18 and an adult.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:53 am I may get skewered but, that last line is my personal concern. Getting your gender changed is not like putting on a new jacket. If someone is too young to vote, too young to drink, and too young to fight for your country. How then are they old enough to make a life altering decision this big?

I think my one line in the sand is wait till you are 18 and an adult.
Did you not know if you were a boy or a girl before 18?
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️