Tea thread

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
FaxModem1
Captain

Tea thread

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm a fan of drinking tea. However, I'm rather amateur at it. I'd like to get some other people's opinions about this boiled leaf drink.

What's the best way to prepare it? How do you like it? What do you serve it with? What's your favorite flavor of tea? Etc.

Discuss.
Arkle
Officer

Re: Tea thread

Post by Arkle »

I'm fond of the fruitier flavors of tea. Though even when it's plain, green tea is great to drink when you have an upset stomach. I don't particularly have a favorite brand, as even the cheap stuff I get from the 99 cent store isn't bad.

This, of course, applies only to hot tea, seeing as cold tea is an affront to the gods. ;)
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Finally, a thread that's my cup of tea. Apparently there's a wiki for this.

The sun has set on the days I settled for standard black tea. Now, I use a good brand of Oolong tea, which I prefer to drink lukewarm with a fair bit of sugar and a pinch of salt.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I prefer British black tea blends myself, with milk and sugar (I picked up the habit living in Scotland). Boil water, pour over teabag, steep, remove bag add sugar and then milk to taste.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I am so heavily conditioned by memes and popular language that I expected this to be a thread dishing dirty secrets and ugly truths about people.

Herbal wise, my favorite has to be Red Zinger. In general Chamomile is pretty nice though. I'm on day 5 of a summer cold and I'm really feeling the pinch now that I've run out of it. :(
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

FaxModem1 wrote: What's the best way to prepare it? How do you like it? What do you serve it with? What's your favorite flavor of tea? Etc.

Discuss.
Because someone has to say it:

Tea; Earl Grey; Hot.

;)

No milk, with or without sugar (both are good). Bung the bag in the mug, fill with hot water, stir and leave (or should that 'leaf' for punnage points? ;p) to brew for a minute or two while preparing a snack, then stir again and remove bag and done. I generally use a massive mug (think it's roughly a pint and a half (that's a British pint by the way, not a namby pamby American pint ;p))so there's lots to savour, and it retains its heat longer than a standard mug.

Hot is actually optional as its actually nice cold as well.

Second choice is standard tea bags (not sure what the exact name is as over here in Blighty they're just sold as 'tea'). Again, no milk, sugar optional and same brewing procedure.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm liking Orange Pekoe lately. I have a kettle, and once the water is boiled, I pour it into the pot with the tea bags already in there. I add honey into my cup, and stir with a spoon. I like to serve it with sugar cookies.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Hob nobs are the best with tea, but they are a British thing.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

If I'm drinking black tea, it's with sugar or honey AND milk. If there's no milk I MIGHT settle for lemon, but only then. Straight black tea or straight black coffee is nothing but a penance.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Robovski wrote:Hob nobs are the best with tea, but they are a British thing.
Bah! Fool, everyone knows the best biscuit with tea is a Ginger Nut. I shall duel you over this, tea bags at dawn sir!

;)