Forum Guidelines

For general announcements concerning the forums such as rules, known issues, and announcement-like stuff in general.
TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Forum Guidelines

Post by TexasRed »

Rules for posting! (Subject to further update)

Please remember when posting to SF Debris, to always remain civil and level headed about all discussions. We seek to provide a healthy, safe atmosphere so that anyone interested in a topic can feel free to state their opinions freely, but in the proper way. Here's a few things to keep in mind when posting.
1) There is no need for excessive language. Sure, we all love profanity, and that's fine. Just please make sure to structure actual thoughts that someone can respond to, rather than just see how many times you can say 'fuck' in one sentence.

2) We don't do personal attacks. This includes everything from someone's religion to their weight. If we see it, you will get warned. If you continue to do it, or we see that you have developed a grudge against someone and only respond to their posts to flame them, we will take steps to resolve the matter by force.

2.1) Personal Attacks
This is the default case. Attacking someone’s race, gender, religion, sexual preferences, lifestyle, political views, etc. is not acceptable on this forum. Obviously, personal attacks are in the eye of the attacked, but here are some factors that will guide our decision:
Whether another person could reasonably see it’s a personal attack.
Whether or not the attacker reasonably knew in advance that it would be interpreted as a personal attack.
Whether it is part of a pattern of attacks

2.2) Impersonal Attacks
Attacks that aren’t personal are not encouraged on this forum but are also not something that we will automatically be moderated. This includes most remarks expressing distaste and derision, regardless of how colorful they are (though do make sure they aren’t personal and don’t violate rule 1). This is allowed in part because it can be cathartic to tell someone how much you hate them. This is not unlimited license to attack someone. Repeatedly attacking one person or many people will be moderated, even if you are avoiding rule 1 and making sure your attacks aren’t personal. There are two other exceptions:
Threatening other users is not acceptable. It doesn’t matter if these are threats of physical violence, threats of harassment, or even vague non-specific threats.
Encouraging people to commit self-harm is not acceptable.

2.3) Generic Attacks
Attacks on no specific person but on a broad well-defined group such as race, gender, religion, sexual preferences, lifestyle, political views, etc. are not acceptable on this forum. This is a lot fuzzier than an attack directed at a specific person, but here are some factors that can drive our decision:
Use of slurs
The language used in the attack
Whether it’s part of a pattern of attacks.
In Conclusion
Regardless of the kind of attack, consider the following before posting:
“Is it necessary to attack someone to make the point I want to make, or can I express myself differently?”
“Can I moderate my language to ensure I don’t hurt the person I am addressing?”
“Does making an attack like this hurt the position I’m arguing?”
If you have been attacked, consider the following before reacting:
“Have I contacted moderation about the attack?”
“Can I respond in an assertive matter without escalating the situation?”
“Have I considered blocking the user who attacked me?”
Finally, as much of a cliché as it is, consider taking a break and relaxing. Putting some mental distance between whatever’s made you mad and yourself can help you think about your response more clearly. There’s somebody on the other side of the screen, and they’re either trying to get a rise out of you or they’re going to get hurt if you attack them.

3) There will be no illegal content of any kind allowed. This includes posts and or links to aforementioned content. If you try, you will be warned, and the content will be deleted. If you continue to violate this rule, further action will be taken.

4) Take precaution when you want to post something that's Not Safe For Work, or NSFW. Do not post these things directly in any post, but rather link them. Make sure you label them as NSFW for any viewers who either don't want to see such content, or are not in a proper setting to view it safely.

4.1) Do not post hate imagery, this includes swastikas. If you've made a post recently with those types of image please go edit them and remove them. This is because Google Adsense doesn't like hate images and adsense is one of the ways Chuck keeps the lights on.

5) Be very careful when talking about subjects that could lead to triggering a viewer's past experiences. Now, let's be honest, this one can be tricky. Just remember that some subjects are inherently sensitive, and use your words carefully when dealing with those subjects.

6) The first rule of patreon is, do not talk about patreon. Do not discuss patron rewards until they have been made public. They are for the eyes of the rewardees only until publicly released by Chuck.

7) No sock puppets, and no exceptions will be made. If you are caught running a sock puppet account there will be consequences up to and including permanent banning.
All in all, just don't be an asshole. If you just be nice to people, they usually will be nice to you. However, if you find yourself offended, or in disagreement with someone, the best way to handle that situation is to message them privately. That doesn't mean you get to be a dick since it\'s private. It just means that when no one else is looking, issues can usually be resolved without drama. If you feel you can't resolve a problem with another member, then please contact a forum Moderator.

Please keep disagreements civil, exercise mutual respect, and contribute to a positive atmosphere for all of us. You can be yourself, just be your best self.

TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Re: Forum Guidlines

Post by TexasRed »

Update to the rules: Do not post hate imagery, this includes swastikas. If you've made a post recently with those types of image please go edit them and remove them. This is because Google Adsense doesn't like hate images and adsense is one of the ways Chuck keeps the lights on. Further updates will follow....

TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Re: Forum Guidlines

Post by TexasRed »

Forum guidelines updated.

TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Re: Forum Guidelines

Post by TexasRed »

Forum Guidelines updated, see rule 7.