We're Back!

For general announcements concerning the forums such as rules, known issues, and announcement-like stuff in general.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Re: We're Back!

Post by Fixer »

That brings up something not in the new forums yet. A studio for fan fiction or user created content.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Fixer wrote:That brings up something not in the new forums yet. A studio for fan fiction or user created content.
Maybe that could be dealt with with a sticky thread in the Sci-fi & Fantasy board to act as a directory of user's fan work that's been uploaded to other sites (e.g. Deviantart)?
Petike
Redshirt

Post by Petike »

An honest thank you for bringing the forum back. :)

I was really saddened when it went down last year, literally on the same day I decided to visit again, to see what's new. :(

Again, I'd like to thank all the admins for their hard work, and wish the forum a good, safe future from now on.
waywardauthor
Redshirt

Post by waywardauthor »

Chuck, I think you need some moderators to help clean house. There's an issue in the sci-fi section.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

waywardauthor wrote:Chuck, I think you need some moderators to help clean house. There's an issue in the sci-fi section.
There are mods, they're just not online atm; normally they're quite quick responding to reports of spambot activity.
rickgriffin
Officer

Post by rickgriffin »

Yeah, there's a spammer on the board already.

If I may suggest, my best defense against spam on my own forum has always been a Q&A captcha for signups. Though rather than having questions that can be done with a general knowledge search, you ask questions that can be skimmed from the main site itself. Direct the person signing up to a particular page and then ask them something about it, such as "On the DS9 review of Shadowplay, what are the last two words of the video description?" or a little harder since it requires sifting a video, "What was the rating given to the TNG episode Genesis?" and you could even give a link TO that page simply because a robot would have a hard time parsing very particular knowledge.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

You know, if it weren't for the fact that it must be a bot, I think HughSom would qualify for a medal for how audacious its excessive spamming is. Were up to what...five full pages of spam threads? That's gotta be some sort of record.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Dînadan wrote:You know, if it weren't for the fact that it must be a bot, I think HughSom would qualify for a medal for how audacious its excessive spamming is. Were up to what...five full pages of spam threads? That's gotta be some sort of record.
Why are these fuckers back after such a long time?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I wonder if the robot HughSom is lonely or proud of this.

Is it saying to itself, "Man, my Turing test scores must be off the charts, nobody has caught on to me yet!"

Or is it, "Nobody even cares enough about my stuff to kill me. I wish I were DEAD!"
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
nebagram
Officer

Post by nebagram »

Two things I've found as an admin on another board that help- having each sign-up manually verified (which can be time-consuming), and automatically rejecting anyone who signs up with a 'mail.ru' email address. I'm willing to bet actual cash that HughSom's registered email dress ends '@mail.ru'.