An Upcoming Hiatus

For general announcements concerning the forums such as rules, known issues, and announcement-like stuff in general.
SFDebris
The Doctor

An Upcoming Hiatus

Post by SFDebris »

I wanted to get this out here early, and say up front that everything is fine.

I received word today that, due to cost, Screenwave will no longer be hosting any videos directly, which means it's time to get out the re-org boots as Scott Adams put it and move again. Thankfully it looks like they will be migrating me to a different host so that unlike last time there will be less hand-wringing and hopefully less downtime. However, because nothing ever happens smoothly, I'm going to schedule another off week from Apr 29-May 5 to ensure that if there are any problems I can address them in a timely manner and not disrupt the schedule. The transition is supposed to happen on Apr 30, though please keep in mind that any new service will involve a new code for embedding videos, and there are more than a thousand that - very probably - will have to be changed by hand.*

Because Patreon normally gets reviews a week ahead of time, and that obviously this doesn't work if there's no place for the video to go, I will be posting the May 6-13 episodes (TAS: Eye of the Beholder, Beast Wars: Maximal, No More, and Exosquad Episode 12) on Apr 22, two weeks instead of one, but they will only be available for eight days. The May rewards will go out as normal since they are unrelated to video hosting.

In the past I had mentioned that the new system allowed for playlists and that I was working to get that done. I'm afraid that's now a question mark. Hopefully it will be feasible but there's no way to know at this time.

Apologies for any inconvenience this might cause, and for those of you patiently waiting for your requests, I hope that this is not discouraging. I am dedicated to covering every commitment I have made and to do so to the best of my abilities. Wherever the show is going next, I will endeavor to keep it the same program you've been watching.

Thank you.

Chuck

*By which I mean, the source data that reflects the information, not manually correcting php pages
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
TheNewTeddy
Officer

Re: An Upcoming Hiatus

Post by TheNewTeddy »

if there is anything we as users can do to help, let us know.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Damnit we just got the bugs out of the last exodus! That thing wasn't even paid off yet!
raiken_
Redshirt

Post by raiken_ »

Beginning the preparations for the upcoming re-watching of every single video in the SF Debris collection ... for Q.A. purposes ... yeah, that's the ticket ...
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Ya know I was listening to a Pod Cast from some YouTubers where they sorta mocked those who abandoned YouTube, citing what happened with Blip. And one of them was someone who had a Copyright issue just recently.

I suspect they'd consider Chuck's problems a vindication of their YouTube elitism.

Vidme works well for backing up videos, but you can't give them descriptions.
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

Either you're a big enough draw that youtube will stand by you or they will accept every copyright claim made against you and leave you to deal with it which can involve any number of pains in the ass like having to wait for them to get up off their asses and reinstate your videos after you have proven it was not filed in good faith or a lengthy court case.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Well this Podcast was all people who aren't even at a Million Subs. The one I was watching it for not even halfway there. But they're all people who feel invested in YouTube as now being the ideal entertainment medium.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Every week I get some half-assed claim on content I have made over the last 4 years. It is wearing and a big hassle.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

You have a YouTube channel? What do you YouTube about?
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

I hardly use my YouTube channel these days and I get copyright strikes for half the video game stuff I do.

A Star Wars game's yellow text scroller got flagged as me uploading Empire Strikes back. A 5 second voice clip of me saying "It's later now, I should get to bed" was similar enough to some random song that it was flagged and ad revenue went to some random claimant until I got that claim revoked after a week.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------