Star Trek: Discovery temporarily open

For general announcements concerning the forums such as rules, known issues, and announcement-like stuff in general.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery temporarily open

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The problem with this is the Tardigrade is the only animal capable of surviving in space so...uh, yeah, of course they'd use it.
nebagram
Officer

Post by nebagram »

Because of course no other spaceborne lifeforms have ever been shown on-screen in Star Trek, have they?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I pitched a Star Trek episode where the ship was constantly blowing up and getting time reversed but I don't think I was ripped off for next week's episode.

:)

Mind you I may be defending them because they totally stole Babylon Five's premise for DS9 and it's the best Trek ever.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Wait, how does THAT work, Chuck? I mean... you've said over and over that all scores are relative to their series, but STD hasn't finished yet. How do you intend to judge this?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

It will almost certainly be finished by the time he starts reviewing them.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
nebagram
Officer

Post by nebagram »

The size of Chuck's queue is such that season 2 is likely to be done by the time he starts reviewing them.

(note: that's a comment on the size of the queue, not the speed at which Chuck is clearing it)
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Yukaphile wrote:Wait, how does THAT work, Chuck? I mean... you've said over and over that all scores are relative to their series, but STD hasn't finished yet. How do you intend to judge this?
The first season will be finished well before Chuck gets to it. And if ends up being only one season, then it can be judged and rated on its own.

If not, I imagine he'll skip his usual Trek ratings and do what he does for other long running series that aren't finished. Recommended, Avoid, etc. Or go the route he does for miniseries like Firefly or Modoka and say "There's only a handful of episodes, they're all important and good, no ratings."

Really it'll probably depend on what the overall quality of Discovery ends up being.
TheNewTeddy
Officer

Post by TheNewTeddy »

My opinion on discovery so far:

1 - Episodes literally get better and better. Each new one is better than the last one, and the worst part of Discovery was the opening 5 minutes.

2 - I quite enjoyed the last episode; but, don't care for the re-writing of Harry Mudd from a lovable scamp, into a mass murderer.

lastly

3 - I can't wait to see what chuck has to say about this shit
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TheNewTeddy wrote:1 - Episodes literally get better and better. Each new one is better than the last one, and the worst part of Discovery was the opening 5 minutes.
So it is like beer and you will end up with either Stockholm Syndrome or a seriously unhealthy addiction?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

One thing I would like to see is Chuck review the first two episodes of Discovery, then review the first episode of Orville, and then have him do his take on "Discovery vs. Orville." I know it's a bit of an internet cliche these days, but it would be interesting to hear Chuck's opinion on the subject, and maybe hear which series he prefers - if he even prefers either.
RobbyB1982 wrote:The first season will be finished well before Chuck gets to it. And if ends up being only one season, then it can be judged and rated on its own.
Discovery has been renewed for a second season, though according to reports I've heard, the new season won't be ready until 2019.