Here We Go Again (Updated with Restoration Progress)

For general announcements concerning the forums such as rules, known issues, and announcement-like stuff in general.
LinAGKar
Redshirt

Re: Here We Go Again (Updated with Restoration Progress)

Post by LinAGKar »

What about PeerTube? That should be pretty resilient, similar to BitTorrent.
Earl_Of_Cola
Redshirt

Post by Earl_Of_Cola »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:59 pm
Earl_Of_Cola wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:53 pm Would you considering getting a seedbox and let users torrent these reviews? P2P might be the way forward on this. At the very least it does serve as a effective backup for if the videos ever go down again.
This is a better solution, but still not immune to legal action. :(
Legally he is in the clear, fair use and all, so no problem there. The problem are video hosting sites who take down first and ask questions never.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Earl_Of_Cola wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:00 pm
Deledrius wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:59 pm
Earl_Of_Cola wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:53 pm Would you considering getting a seedbox and let users torrent these reviews? P2P might be the way forward on this. At the very least it does serve as a effective backup for if the videos ever go down again.
This is a better solution, but still not immune to legal action. :(
Legally he is in the clear, fair use and all, so no problem there. The problem are video hosting sites who take down first and ask questions never.
As long as the DMCA exists in its current form, "legally in the clear" doesn't matter. He is still subject to abuse under a poorly-written law.
Xabin
Redshirt

Post by Xabin »

I've been trying to keep track of the reuploading of the Star Trek videos, and noticed a disturbing trend; of the ones that have been uploaded, so far, most of the TOS ones have been flagged, once again, for content. Very few of the others, from what I can tell, have been hit, yet (with the exception, I believe, of TNG Gambit part 1). Someone should inform SF Debris of this...
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

SFDebris wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:25 am
iafiv wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:48 pm Anyone know how many of the old reviews are currently unavailable?At least approximately?Is it mainly Trek related stuff?
It is only Trek stuff, and is mostly limited to pre-July 2018 at the moment. Anything that is on Youtube is unaffected (e.g. Spock Bio).

The most difficult part is that this is no longer a random event, it seems the eye of Sauron is actively pointed at the site now and has hampered finding a site that can A) keep the videos up, B) not have malware, C) not stream too slowly to be useful. It's taken two months of trial and error to get something that meets those criteria, and even that is deficient, leaving me to decide if I want to spend the next month or two uploading videos one at a time to a site whose only saving grace is "it works, mostly." :(
How do the guys at Cinemasins or Fan Theory TV on Youtube get away with it? They show huge chunks of the movies and films they "review" all the time. Might it be worth reaching out to them to try and see if whatever their solution could work?
Quixotica
Redshirt

Post by Quixotica »

How do the guys at Cinemasins or Fan Theory TV on Youtube get away with it? They show huge chunks of the movies and films they "review" all the time. Might it be worth reaching out to them to try and see if whatever their solution could work?

Cinemasins, for better or worse, has nearly 9 million subs. That's most likely why they get away with it.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Quixotica wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:43 pm

Cinemasins, for better or worse, has nearly 9 million subs. That's most likely why they get away with it.
And they've had many videos taken down and had to re-upload them, which I assume means that edits were made to appease the Copyright Overreach Gods. Even CinemaSins is not immune. They may have the ability to get someone to talk to, but they're still not immune.
Quixotica
Redshirt

Post by Quixotica »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:56 am They may have the ability to get someone to talk to, but they're still not immune.
That's pretty much the crux of it right there. Their size gives them a voice that someone like SFDebris just isn't going to have. Their size also likely helps in getting those claims that do come in resolved rapidly and I'd be surprised if they don't get a little more padding when it comes to things like the three strikes rule too.

Channels that size essentially live outside the system everyone else is forced to deal with as they are actually big enough for Google to mildly care about.
Khrome
Redshirt

Post by Khrome »

Would a filesharing service like Dropbox or Google Drive be a solution in the interim? There's a few like that which are hosted outside of the US which don't give a flying fuck about copyright notices when it obviously concerns fair use (and also don't carry ads). And no, i don't mean Mega.
LiteYear
Redshirt

Post by LiteYear »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:56 am
Quixotica wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:43 pm

And they've had many videos taken down and had to re-upload them, which I assume means that edits were made to appease the Copyright Overreach Gods. Even CinemaSins is not immune. They may have the ability to get someone to talk to, but they're still not immune.
I don't know if even a channel as big as them has any real clout when it comes to the copyright system on YouTube. However, I think the re-uploads are more forced by their former use of music samples than the movie clips (most of their recent videos will now mention the music playing if it's relevant for one of their jokes).