Here We Go Again (Updated with Restoration Progress)

For general announcements concerning the forums such as rules, known issues, and announcement-like stuff in general.
B G
Redshirt

Re: Here We Go Again (Updated with Restoration Progress)

Post by B G »

Problem is this is going to keep happening until enough people can take these big companies to court over these copyright issues. It should fall under Fair Use for both Commentary/Criticism and Parody/Satire. But it takes a lot of time and money to do so and there is always the possibility of the court making a bad call and ruling against the reviewers even if they are with in the rights to make a commentary video on others work.

A lot of times all it takes to get them to back down is for someone make a counter claim and make it known they have contacted their lawyer and are willing to take this to court. Which I think that is more of the reason that bigger creators get away with more since they have a lawyer on retainer for other reasons and the lawyer can set things in motion to protect their clients rights.

But until we get better at crowd funding Iolta accounts to help the creators to be able to fight back in court. Or better yet to set up a non profit to take up these cases to get people to stop abusing copyright laws. It will cost the companies nothing because they can make a false DMCA take down notice and most creators are unwilling to chance the company will take them to court if they fight it. And can just drop the claim if they don't want to take it all the way to court if the creator is willing to fight with no ill effect on themselves.

But as it stands it is asking too much of Chuck to fight it when he has to worry about helping support his wife and kids. So if we want to see a change we need to find those that are willing to fight and try to help them anyway we can. And if we can get enough cases where the companies lose for abusing the DMCA to make it an unappealing tactic, we stop seeing this happen.
CrashGordon94
Redshirt

Post by CrashGordon94 »

Don't know if this is the right place but the Dominion War video here is missing: https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/d530.php
Kradeiz
Redshirt

Post by Kradeiz »

TNG's Gambit Part 1 is down due to content issues.
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Tried to rebuild the "Dendo-gate" for Internet Archive but failed due to the nigh-paracausical damage done in 2002. If the internet is officially hard-reset or damaged even further, we would have to look for an alternative extra-net creator.

Who had the Lead Balls to attack humanity's best creation of entertainment during that time?!
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Are all things video games going on youtube?
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:07 am Are all things video games going on youtube?
That's my intention.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

SFDebris wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:58 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:07 am Are all things video games going on youtube?
That's my intention.
Awesome thank you. I used youtube way more than Vimeo.
wolfieatwork
Redshirt

Post by wolfieatwork »

I wonder if unlisted will prevent Youtube from sniping them.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

wolfieatwork wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm I wonder if unlisted will prevent Youtube from sniping them.
Nope, the bots sniff them out regardless.

I have a plan, though, to get them all restored before the end of the year.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

And there was much rejoicing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmPhaG1ud38
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu