Here We Go Again (Updated with Restoration Progress)

For general announcements concerning the forums such as rules, known issues, and announcement-like stuff in general.
Yargling
Redshirt

Re: Here We Go Again (Updated with Restoration Progress)

Post by Yargling »

planescaped wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm I love to just rewatch random old SF Debris TNG episodes in particular...

I miss them. D:
Same here - there is a joke about uranium rod toilets I wanted to re-listen too and its gone for now :(

Sorry for you too Chuck, you've had so much shit from video hosts.

Its not ideal, but I do have a subscription on Nebula and they seem like a good backup hosting site - it is behind a paywall so not really suitable for your main site/main host, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yargling wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:19 pm Its not ideal, but I do have a subscription on Nebula and they seem like a good backup hosting site - it is behind a paywall so not really suitable for your main site/main host, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it.
I suspect he knows about it. Sadly, it's a failstate for internet video, so I hope he doesn't adopt it like so many other short-sighted individuals have, taken in by the rhetoric and slick marketing (and, frankly, the opportunity that YouTube has created for such a failure to thrive).
User 2632
Redshirt

Post by User 2632 »

We've been watching Deep Space 9, and sometimes it feels like the DS9 reviews are never going to be re-uploaded.
waywardauthor
Redshirt

Post by waywardauthor »

Might make sense to have a patreon tier where one has access to a google drive with all of the reviews, so that when things like this happens, there are backups that relieves the pressure on Chuck to reupload them.

It may also be helpful to, in his spare time, upload a few of them a day to alternative platforms so that should something like this happen again (and it probably will), there's less effort required to move. There are a few video streaming services around, and at this point it might make sense to find all of them and put them there - and then just wait for the sky to fall in a couple months or years.

If its too time consuming, I don't think it would be out of the question to have a moderator, or someone who has been in contact with Chuck fairly frequently, to be entrusted to do some of the grunt work on a volunteer basis, or for some chump change equivalent to a beer an hour.
iafiv
Redshirt

Post by iafiv »

Anyone know how many of the old reviews are currently unavailable?At least approximately?Is it mainly Trek related stuff?
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

iafiv wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:48 pm Anyone know how many of the old reviews are currently unavailable?At least approximately?Is it mainly Trek related stuff?
It is only Trek stuff, and is mostly limited to pre-July 2018 at the moment. Anything that is on Youtube is unaffected (e.g. Spock Bio).

The most difficult part is that this is no longer a random event, it seems the eye of Sauron is actively pointed at the site now and has hampered finding a site that can A) keep the videos up, B) not have malware, C) not stream too slowly to be useful. It's taken two months of trial and error to get something that meets those criteria, and even that is deficient, leaving me to decide if I want to spend the next month or two uploading videos one at a time to a site whose only saving grace is "it works, mostly." :(
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
iafiv
Redshirt

Post by iafiv »

SFDebris wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:25 am
iafiv wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:48 pm Anyone know how many of the old reviews are currently unavailable?At least approximately?Is it mainly Trek related stuff?
It is only Trek stuff, and is mostly limited to pre-July 2018 at the moment. Anything that is on Youtube is unaffected (e.g. Spock Bio).

The most difficult part is that this is no longer a random event, it seems the eye of Sauron is actively pointed at the site now and has hampered finding a site that can A) keep the videos up, B) not have malware, C) not stream too slowly to be useful. It's taken two months of trial and error to get something that meets those criteria, and even that is deficient, leaving me to decide if I want to spend the next month or two uploading videos one at a time to a site whose only saving grace is "it works, mostly." :(
That is discouraging.Seems like someone has nothing better to do than sabotage reviews of sci-fi related stuff. :(
Sojourna
Redshirt

Post by Sojourna »

Thank you for the update, sfdebris. I had been wondering lately what had happened to some of the Star Trek reviews, and it's sad to hear that something/someone has been giving you so much trouble. Hope the situation turns in your favor.
Earl_Of_Cola
Redshirt

Post by Earl_Of_Cola »

SFDebris wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:25 am

Would you considering getting a seedbox and let users torrent these reviews? P2P might be the way forward on this. At the very least it does serve as a effective backup for if the videos ever go down again.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Earl_Of_Cola wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:53 pm Would you considering getting a seedbox and let users torrent these reviews? P2P might be the way forward on this. At the very least it does serve as a effective backup for if the videos ever go down again.
This is a better solution, but still not immune to legal action. :(