Star Trek (Dis): Context Is for Kings

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
kaingerc
Redshirt

Star Trek (Dis): Context Is for Kings

Post by kaingerc »

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/c103.php

good review Chuck, you even raised a few points I haven't considered before (the Seven comparison for example)

but I feel your prejudices have influenced your opinion somewhat... Tell me, what is your issue against cows?

But seriously, I feel that besides being so much unlike other Star Trek shows, the reason this show puts a lot of people off is the fact that it's trying so hard to be "Edgy".
The presentation, the lightning (sooo many lens flares), the sparse crew (if there is a large crew in the Discovery, they are trying their best not to show it), the fact that all the main characters, including the one the show revolves around, are giant assholes... hell, they even drop an F-bomb in one of the episodes seemingly just to show that they can.

No surprise that there was a running joke that this was the mirror universe (ironic, considering what is happening in recent episodes)
Wargriffin
Captain

Re: Star Trek (Dis): Context Is for Kings

Post by Wargriffin »

For the Greater ****ing MOO!!!
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

If they were really going full "SJW" there would be no character conflict and the prologue would have ended with Burnham lecturing the Klingons on toxic masculinity. Also, Saru is a cow.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Okay, the first two episodes being about a totally different crew and captain wouldn't have bothered me if the promotion of the show didn't revolve around that Captain.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

At least sfdebris not reviewing StarGate Universe which was close to Star Trek Discovery. Both wanted to take their respective franchises and make them darker than what their previous series were, and not forgetting to make then both more Sirius. I'm not kidding, both Stargate Universe and Star Trek Discovery are almost the same crapy shows, a darker and Sirius look than their processors.
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

What you were saying about the presentation of Michael Burnham echoed some of my own thoughts when watching Caretaker.

In the Voyager pilot, Tom Paris is the principle character. Almost every engagement which isn't directly related to the plight of Voyager includes, or is about, him. And the following two episodes both featured him relatively prominently as well. Given that Tom is much more likable than Michael, I was upset he didn't remain a dominant figure in the show.

There are ways they could work to take some of the power of Michael Burnham away, and that's by using each series to focus in on, and learn more about, each of the key characters. Season 1 is Michaels, maybe series 2 will be about Saru & Tilly.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
kaingerc
Redshirt

Post by kaingerc »

thisithis wrote:At least sfdebris not reviewing StarGate Universe which was close to Star Trek Discovery. Both wanted to take their respective franchises and make them darker than what their previous series were, and not forgetting to make then both more Sirius. I'm not kidding, both Stargate Universe and Star Trek Discovery are almost the same crapy shows, a darker and Sirius look than their processors.
At the very least SGU had a more likeable and relatable main character in Eli (no, not because he was a white guy) who served as a stand-in for the audience as a newcomer to all of the Stargate lore.

In contrast to Michael, his character growth was him becoming more confident throughout the seasons, while her character growth was becoming more open towards other people. (which as of the current episodes still hasn't cured her of still being kind of an asshole by forcibly taking control of the situation when her suggestions are ignored)
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

kaingerc wrote:
thisithis wrote:At least sfdebris not reviewing StarGate Universe which was close to Star Trek Discovery. Both wanted to take their respective franchises and make them darker than what their previous series were, and not forgetting to make then both more Sirius. I'm not kidding, both Stargate Universe and Star Trek Discovery are almost the same crapy shows, a darker and Sirius look than their processors.
At the very least SGU had a more likeable and relatable main character in Eli (no, not because he was a white guy) who served as a stand-in for the audience as a newcomer to all of the Stargate lore.

In contrast to Michael, his character growth was him becoming more confident throughout the seasons, while her character growth was becoming more open towards other people. (which as of the current episodes still hasn't cured her of still being kind of an asshole by forcibly taking control of the situation when her suggestions are ignored)
True, although he and the secondary characters (Park, Brody, and Volker) were like the only really likable characters, but it was something. I enjoyed their scenes more than most of the main cast. Rush's snark was amusing but he was still a jerk.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

kaingerc wrote:
At the very least SGU had a more likable and relatable main character in Eli (no, not because he was a white guy) who served as a stand-in for the audience as a newcomer to all of the Stargate lore.

First, thanks for naming the only good character in SGU. Like Star Trek Discovery everyone elsewhere all ass holes. Unlike Star Trek Discovery StarGate Universe had two likable ass holes, where Eli was surrounded by assholes and some of the dumbest idiots I have ever seen. Even that the other character in SGU was Ronald Greer character, even that he was an asshole, with the whole my father was a Monster past. heat lest was smart. He was the only one that yells at some of the stupidest shit I have ever seen until Star Trek Discovery came out. It's like watching two shows with idiots at the wheel. There is not one redeemable character Star Trek Discovery. At lest SGU gave me two characters I can relate to. But both give out the worst story writing in sci-fi I have ever seen.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Some general thoughts:

1. Michael Burnham is an interesting character but I think the show far too heavily relies on her and it's problematic because Sonequa Martin is a great actress but she's up against Michelle Yeoh and Jason Isaacs when she's allowed to emote--which leaves her overshadowed. However, she also is a character who is emotionally reserved so she can't really bond with Tilly or Saru or anyone else.

Seven of Nine had Janeway to bounce off of and Spock had Kirk to do so while Data was broadly comedic who could bond with everyone (the logical character who could bond with everyone). It's no surprise the show began working best as an ensemble when Tyler arrived on the
program.

2. I agree with Chuck about the fact they should have saved the Pilot and Battle of the Binary stars for the mid-season as it would have been a great set of flashbacks. Sort of like how they treated "The Cage."

3. I think the show's body count actually really hurt the story because Captain Georgiou was such a strong presence that you bonded with her to the point you were upset she wasn't going to be part of the main series. The same thing happened with the Security Chief who added a nice presence to the dynamic too.

It was a bit like Buffy except it'd be like if Xander and Giles died in three episodes.

4. Tilly is Wesley Crusher but awesome and looks like Meredith. Also, there's still some debate whether she's autistic as her "Special Needs" were allergies.

5. It's weird using THAT Twilight Zone reference because Fats is manipulating the protagonist. The ending is all about how Fats REGRETS devoting himself to becoming the world's greatest pool player since it caused him to waste his life.