Drone (VOY)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CMWaters
Officer

Drone (VOY)

Post by CMWaters »

While Chuck did a good review of this, I feel like he glossed over something that I saw in this that others have too.

This is Seven experiencing motherhood in a way, then the pain of losing her child...something that has to be a horrific experience for any parent.

Especially when you get to One's final scene, and the exchange "You're hurting me."/"You will adapt." Might be one of the best scenes in Voyager, honestly.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
Tonesthegeek
Redshirt

Re: Drone (VOY)

Post by Tonesthegeek »

CMWaters wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:32 pm While Chuck did a good review of this, I feel like he glossed over something that I saw in this that others have too.

This is Seven experiencing motherhood in a way, then the pain of losing her child...something that has to be a horrific experience for any parent.

Especially when you get to One's final scene, and the exchange "You're hurting me."/"You will adapt." Might be one of the best scenes in Voyager, honestly.
That's what I was thinking too. I'm wondering when Chuck will get around to reviewing episodes like "Child's play" and "Imperfection" where we see Seven developing that mother/child relationship with Icheb. Which to me was something that went mostly unspoken and had potential.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Ehh...I see it more as "big sister / little brother" I think.

Also, Chuck said "But overall, yes, it's a solid show"- I think he meant to say "episode".
Tonesthegeek
Redshirt

Post by Tonesthegeek »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:33 pm Ehh...I see it more as "big sister / little brother" I think.
Seven and One perhaps, but her connection to Icheb was more Maternal.
WhiteDragon25
Redshirt

Post by WhiteDragon25 »

FINALLY! Do you know how long I've been waiting for this review!? :D

I've always had a soft spot for Drone: One's design is really unique, his and Seven's interaction's were adorable, and One's very existence is a huge untapped source of fanfic fodder!

And this episode is yet another example of Voyager's vast record of Nanoprobe Shenanigans.

Now, the question I ask after the end of the episode is: what did they do with the rest of the body?

Aside from the Doctor's mobile emitter, One's body was loaded with all sorts of crazy-advanced technology, all a complete blend of Borg and 29th-century Federation technology. There's stuff in there doesn't even exist yet (the poly-duotonic alloy in his body armor, for example), and other stuff I have no clue where it even came from (such as the internal transporter nodes - that certainly wasn't standard issue in either Borg drones or mobile holo-emitters from the future!). The cybernetics alone would've made the Daystrom Institute's cyberneticists cream themselves in glee!

Yet we have no idea what they did with One's corpse afterwards.

Personally, I'd like to think that Seven would've refused to have One's body being simply dumped into the recycling replicator, and instead it was placed into a stasis pod and tucked away in a dark corner of Cargo Bay 2 or something for later.
White Lightning FTW!
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

WhiteDragon25 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 pm Yet we have no idea what they did with One's corpse afterwards.

Personally, I'd like to think that Seven would've refused to have One's body being simply dumped into the recycling replicator, and instead it was placed into a stasis pod and tucked away in a dark corner of Cargo Bay 2 or something for later.
Take this with a grain of salt because book canon is VERY iffy, but there's a short story in the "Distant Shores" anthology that says One's remains were used to make the multispatial probe that was used a few times in the series, hence why the Voyager crew was always so eager to get it back: the material to make it was irreplaceable.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
Tonesthegeek
Redshirt

Post by Tonesthegeek »

CMWaters wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 pm Take this with a grain of salt because book canon is VERY iffy, but there's a short story in the "Distant Shores" anthology that says One's remains were used to make the multispatial probe that was used a few times in the series, hence why the Voyager crew was always so eager to get it back: the material to make it was irreplaceable.
Its a bit if a stretch, but that would explain where some of the tech used to build the Delta Flyer came from. Plus also explain why Seven was there to help retrieve the probe in that episode. And in a way, the idea that part of One was used to create a probe for exploration would honor his memory as he found the prospect of learning and exploration appealing.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

WhiteDragon25 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 pm Now, the question I ask after the end of the episode is: what did they do with the rest of the body?
Actually, that raises another question, that I don't think I've ever seen asked before: what do they normally do with the corpses of all the aliens who die on board Voyager? Do incinerate them, or just toss 'em into space, leaving a literal trail of bodies in their wake?
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

J!! wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:40 pm
WhiteDragon25 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 pm Now, the question I ask after the end of the episode is: what did they do with the rest of the body?
Actually, that raises another question, that I don't think I've ever seen asked before: what do they normally do with the corpses of all the aliens who die on board Voyager? Do incinerate them, or just toss 'em into space, leaving a literal trail of bodies in their wake?
That's disgusting to think about.

Obviously they're used in the stew pot.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

SFDebris wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:44 pm
J!! wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:40 pm
That's disgusting to think about.

Obviously they're used in the stew pot.
Well, it's TECHNICALLY not cannibalism...

Though you have to cook a Vidian just right to not get sick.
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special