I've started an SF Debris Wiki

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: I've started an SF Debris Wiki

Post by clearspira »

PerrySimm wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:42 pm Call me a stick in the mud, but this is just going to distract the folks that keep the TvTropes up to date.
I disagree. Tvtrope is more informal than an actual wiki.
Anyway, it will give everyone an alternative when their next unannounced site change that improves little breaks it for weeks :roll:
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Well why would it be distracting?
Power laces... alright.
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Is it possible you could create a rivalry with the two wikis, tvtropes and fandom wiki?

Beside I have to upload a few trope pages on DC cartoons and SF debris Batman, see y'all in two weeks if maybe latter if the roaches in my apartment would stop moving my furniture around, now I have to watch tv while taking a shit.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Yikes. Making a new site for talking about old TV shows and cartoons might divert a small amount of traffic from another site for talking about old TV shows and cartoons, which, I'm sure you agree, would constitute one of the major humanitarian crises of our times.

THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Hey how does this stay on the front page?
nura78
Redshirt

Post by nura78 »

We must compile a full list off all "Stupid Neelix Moments"(tm)

:lol:
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Any idea when there might be definitions for the end of video awards like Burn Baby Burn and Damn Dirty Mutant? That's something I've wanted to know for a while.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Petike
Redshirt

Post by Petike »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:48 pm Any idea when there might be definitions for the end of video awards like Burn Baby Burn and Damn Dirty Mutant? That's something I've wanted to know for a while.
I am currently the only person editing the wiki. It is supposed to be a community-based wiki. So, if you have a Fandom/Wikia account and would like to edit the descriptions in the awards (by adding them), feel free to. Just write it as accurately and informatively as you can. And try to be brief, albeit giving enough of the necessary details.

I am currently focusing on expanding the number of pages for episode reviews, and then adding the post-episode follow-ups to each review page (that alone, of course, does take some time, especially for longer follow-ups/ratings).

As SF Debris will be migrating from Vimeo (a real pity, IMHO, but I understand the concerns), I want to finish off completing the Babylon 5 episode reviews by the end of March. They're taking precedent over the Star Trek reviews and all the other stuff, for now.
nura78 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:15 pm We must compile a full list off all "Stupid Neelix Moments"(tm)

:lol:
Like everything concerning the wiki, this takes time. And working on it communally can speed up the effort considerably, as long as the level of quality is preserved. Listing SNMs is one of the more easier things to do, it doesn't need to be done as rigorously as post-episode follow-up transcripts.

The worst thing about compiling all this information, aside from the sheer amount of work needed to be done and the time required, are the all too frequent occassions when Chuck has to take down the videos and move them to another service.
King Green wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:01 pm Is it possible you could create a rivalry with the two wikis, tvtropes and fandom wiki?

Beside I have to upload a few trope pages on DC cartoons and SF debris Batman, see y'all in two weeks if maybe latter if the roaches in my apartment would stop moving my furniture around, now I have to watch tv while taking a shit.
SF Debris' audience is still niche enough that there would be no major rivalry.

Additionally, like it or not, the Fandom platform wikis are better suited for archiving more complex info from this online review show. TvTropes is better for a quick overview. I'm glad that archive exists, it's been very helpful over the years, and also while working on this wiki project of our own.

The reason I made a wiki in the first place is that even far smaller and lower quality reviewer communities on the Internet have had their's for donkey's years. SF Debris is, despite its long pedigree and pioneering credentials, a bit of an outlier in not having had a proper archive like that, until last year. Another reason is that so people could read Chuck's reviews (i.e. at least the post-episode follow-ups/stamps/etc.) forever, if some had to be taken down indefinitely and couldn't be viewed in video format. That's the whole point of an archive. ;) Preserving interesting stuff for the future. And I regard Chuck's decade+ of reviewing to be worth preserving for the future. It even has some historical value, as an artefact in the history of online reviewing.
Last edited by Petike on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Petike wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:30 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:48 pm Any idea when there might be definitions for the end of video awards like Burn Baby Burn and Damn Dirty Mutant? That's something I've wanted to know for a while.
I am currently the only person editing the wiki. It is supposed to be a community-based wiki. So, if you have a Fandom/Wikia account and would like to edit the descriptions in the awards (by adding them), feel free to.
Was hoping to see it because I don't really have a definitive explanation for them myself. =/ Ah well.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Petike
Redshirt

Post by Petike »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:02 pm Was hoping to see it because I don't really have a definitive explanation for them myself. =/ Ah well.
Burn Baby Burn: Awarded anytime a Star Trek spacecraft (capital ship, shuttle, etc.) gets totalled or destroyed in an episode, often crash-landing or exploding in the process.

Damn Dirty Mutant: Awarded anytime a Star Trek character gets transformed into a mutated creature or other being of a different nature or species.

Do you deem these definitions sufficient ? :)