Film: The Dark Crystal

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ORCACommander
Officer

Re: Film: The Dark Crystal

Post by ORCACommander »

you were a most cruel educator chuck. Really School House Rock!
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

The Skeksies also look like a race from Farscape - [url=https://farscape.fandom.com/wiki/Halosian]the Halosians[/url].
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:52 pm ALso, I want to point a little something out: Jen and Kira aren't the last of the Gelfings. The film's novelization implies there are others who are out in hiding, so given how vast the Skeksis Empire is shown to be in Age of Resistance, and how they're all confined to the castle in the film, it's fair to assume other Gelfings are just hiding. And given that the Gelfling race has seemingly been restored a mere hundred years in the sequel comics, the fantastic Power of the Dark Crystal and the meh Beneath the Dark Crystal, where we see various kinds of Gelflings around Thra. And looking at how Kira is depicted in Power of the Dark Crystal, she doesn't look like she's been made into a breeding machine, so I think it's fair to say that Jen and Kira weren't a literal Adam and Eve.
Sure, if you include all kinds of information not in the film, which came out later and contradicts the film, then the film was lying... :roll:
G-Man wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:00 am The Skeksies also look like a race from Farscape - [url=https://farscape.fandom.com/wiki/Halosian]the Halosians[/url].
Other way around. ;)
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:52 pm ALso, I want to point a little something out: Jen and Kira aren't the last of the Gelfings. The film's novelization implies there are others who are out in hiding, so given how vast the Skeksis Empire is shown to be in Age of Resistance, and how they're all confined to the castle in the film, it's fair to assume other Gelfings are just hiding. And given that the Gelfling race has seemingly been restored a mere hundred years in the sequel comics, the fantastic Power of the Dark Crystal and the meh Beneath the Dark Crystal, where we see various kinds of Gelflings around Thra. And looking at how Kira is depicted in Power of the Dark Crystal, she doesn't look like she's been made into a breeding machine, so I think it's fair to say that Jen and Kira weren't a literal Adam and Eve.
that was my thinking too cuz ,the sifa have an armada of ships and can sail away with refugees & with the Dousan well...have tried hunting fremen in the Desert? you end up dead and they take your water!
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

So if I understand correctly, this is a movie with a weak story but good visuals and setting. So basically it's like Cameron's Avatar with puppets instead of CG.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

as much as i love age of resistance i do have to admit that the hunter was terrifying :shock: he looked like a unholy mix of general grievous and the Predator. :shock:
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

TGLS wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:37 pm So if I understand correctly, this is a movie with a weak story but good visuals and setting. So basically it's like Cameron's Avatar with puppets instead of CG.
I can't disagree with that generally, but I do think there is a minor difference in how Avatar felt sterile and passionless, while TDC does not.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:54 pm
TGLS wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:37 pm So if I understand correctly, this is a movie with a weak story but good visuals and setting. So basically it's like Cameron's Avatar with puppets instead of CG.
I can't disagree with that generally, but I do think there is a minor difference in how Avatar felt sterile and passionless, while TDC does not.
Does the Dark Crystal have a sequel? Because if it doesn't then at least they realised their thin premise had no more traction. Cameron however has threatened us with three more films. God only knows what material he has.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:54 am
G-Man wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:00 am The Skeksies also look like a race from Farscape - [url=https://farscape.fandom.com/wiki/Halosian]the Halosians[/url].
Other way around. ;)
D'Oh!
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

G-Man wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:53 am
Deledrius wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:54 am
Other way around. ;)
D'Oh!
Nuts.