Shows I'd like to see Chuck review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CMWaters
Officer

Re: Shows I'd like to see Chuck review

Post by CMWaters »

stryke wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 pm
CMWaters wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:07 pm I mean, the guy has dealt with Neelix the past few decades, can we really say Ronaldo is any worse?
Yes. Yes we can :D

Plus I'd say as that he's had to suffer through Neelix adding Ronaldo to that is just cruel and unusual punishment.
Counterpoint (and this is someone that's only seen clips here and there of SU save for the final ep, but does have that "Here We Are In The Future" song from the movie in my head): Ronaldo could get a verbal dressing down from Chuck like Neelix and others have had often on the show.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Still want The Expanse.

Maybe when we are well over 100 years old, he can start review the CW Arrowverse. Kinda curious on how he would review that
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

stryke wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 pm
CMWaters wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:07 pm I mean, the guy has dealt with Neelix the past few decades, can we really say Ronaldo is any worse?
Yes. Yes we can :D

Plus I'd say as that he's had to suffer through Neelix adding Ronaldo to that is just cruel and unusual punishment.
Wouldn't say he woest simply because Neelix appear in more episodes and the episodes are longer so we get more of him.
But there is few things more annoying than a stupid arrogant toxic blowhard, than a stupid arrogant toxic blowhard that the show seems to think we like and agree with.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

stryke wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:06 pm I'd be interested to see Chuck reviewing a suggested plot cut of the show, but I like him too much to want to see him subjected to the seemingly unending supply of townie episodes. No one needs Ronaldo in their life if it can be avoided.

I was reviewing/recapping the show on another forum years back, and those broke me about as hard as that sodding interminable mermaid island arc post the time skip did when I was doing One Piece.
Watching just a plot cut misses the entire point of the show. Steven having an actual life and friends and helping out his town was a crucial part of the thing. Yeah you can cut the episode count in half and go all drama all the time by cutting the townsfolk episodes, but you're losing a lot of the charm and warmth of the show, and of Steven being... Steven. It gives time to unwind and settle inbetween the death and destruction.

I know people suggest doing just a plot cut... but those are people that already saw the townsfolk episodes and know the background they add, they've seen it once so its okay to skip on a second viewing... but they don't actually know what the show would be missing without them or how the overall pacing would be thrown off.

It's like people that say "Just start with Babylon 5 season 2." Yeah that's fine on a rewatch but all the setup and character start points are in the first season. Sure maybe skip the boxing episode, but not the entire first season. (Or season 5 for that matter.)

That said, yes, cut the Ronaldo episodes, absolutely.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Plus any episodes where Onion a major player but not get gem tech.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Nah, Onion was weird enough he was worth seeing.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:31 pmWatching just a plot cut misses the entire point of the show. Steven having an actual life and friends and helping out his town was a crucial part of the thing. Yeah you can cut the episode count in half and go all drama all the time by cutting the townsfolk episodes, but you're losing a lot of the charm and warmth of the show, and of Steven being... Steven.
I'm not saying cut every single townie episode. Just y'know a fair percentage of them :D

I'm aware what the creator's wanted the point to be, though to me that didn't make them any better, and only occasionally worked depending on the townie character in focus at the time. Basically anything with Connie and her parents, any Fryman not called Ronaldo, the Pizzas, Onion, the Mayor, and Smiley sure most of their stuff is fine to great, everyone else not so much.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I actually dislike the Onion episodes I just feel anything we learn about him just make him seems boring.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

I'd really like to hear Chuck's take on some The Outer Limits episodes, both from the original and from the 1995 series, especially from the latter, since I'm more familiar with that series, I barely remember the original one.

A Stitch in Time, Trial by Fire, Tribunal, Dead Man's Switch, Quality of Mercy are worth taking a look at.