Where We Are And Where We're Going

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MoreTeaPlease
Redshirt

Re: Where We Are And Where We're Going

Post by MoreTeaPlease »

Weighing in against a P2P setup. Distributed is just not a good service model for stream quality.

I understand Chuck has done the research, so we should roll with his decision. I just wish Plex had a player you could integrate into a website, as I've seen a Plex server with 15TB of videos running very well for long times. So it would possibly be a platform for self-hosting, and with the right provider, you can roll over to their local data center with your drives and pop them in / have their service people do the transfer. (Tip: look for the data centers which have the big video platform names on their customer list.)
Dilandau3000
Redshirt

Post by Dilandau3000 »

I still don't understand why your reviews can't be on YouTube. There are plenty of review channels that use as many or more show clips than you do. Even a lot of the old Channel Awesome content is back on YouTube. So what is blocking your reviews?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Dilandau3000 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:58 pm I still don't understand why your reviews can't be on YouTube. There are plenty of review channels that use as many or more show clips than you do. Even a lot of the old Channel Awesome content is back on YouTube. So what is blocking your reviews?
Possibly because there's no other video intercutting.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

The copybot algorithm is incredibly finicky. Part 2 of TLW was a nightmare to get up, It has something to do with total video length, length of individual clips, proximity of clips to each other in runtime, and probably other things I didn't notice (for example, if I take part 1 and part 2 of TLW's review that is working just fine right now, make a single video out of it, that won't pass muster). It's not that it can't be done (TLW did finally get up after all) but it's how long it takes each to get done.
That's why the Trek reviews will be going up as regular Saturday releases, the editing it will take for each will probably be more than to do an entire new video start to finish.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
StuffWriter
Redshirt

Post by StuffWriter »

Just wanted to say I've been a big fan of yours from back when you were exclusively on YouTube. I really wish the site hadn't annihilated all your reviews back then. That said, I wish you would go back to YouTube exclusively. I think you'd be able to get a wider and ever-growing audience there, continue building your Patreon community, and (presuming that YouTube didn't automatically flag your videos) rest assured that YouTube as a site isn't going to collapse and take all your uploads with them.

I know that's much easier said than done. You'd have to trim a lot of existing copyrighted content (30-sec intro songs, other musical numbers done for comedy, long, uninterrupted clips of the actual show (cf. VOY - Unimatrix Zero)). However, that being done (and even having Paramount eat any and all advertising revenue), I still think the advantages of being on YouTube outweigh the sacrifices that you might have to make to conform to their irritating rules. Back in the day, before YouTube nearly leveled your channel, I felt that you were on the way to becoming one of the top reviewers on the site. I would really love to see more and more people watching your reviews.

That's just how I feel. Either way: I love watching what you've done. These videos have brought me a lot of laughter over the years. Best.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Where we are? Where we're going?

Where we're going, we don't need...

ROADS. 8-)
Percysowner
Redshirt

Post by Percysowner »

Chuck, I'm going to have you look at Mark Watches by Mark Oshiro. He sells reaction videos for download and he has a ton of stuff online. I have personally downloaded 25 gig of reaction videos. He watches the shows with the sound on so people can line up and watch what he is reacting to and films himself reacting, so each video is pretty big. He has a TON of stuff that he sells for download, so hosting must work somehow. His video commissions are here https://markdoesstuff.com/products/mark-reads-mark-watches-video-commission so you can get an idea of his set up. His catalog is here https://markdoesstuff.com/collections/all so you can get an idea of how much can be hosted. I don't know how he does it, or what hosting he uses. I just get the link when I want to purchase a video and download it, but it has to work somehow and might solve your problem? Good luck.
CrashGordon94
Redshirt

Post by CrashGordon94 »

StuffWriter, he has specially edited reviews redone for YouTube that seems to kinda fit your ideas.

He still goes on other sites so he can have the "unabridged" versions still.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Percysowner wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:03 pm I just get the link when I want to purchase a video and download it, but it has to work somehow and might solve your problem? Good luck.
Well, basically it uses this platform called Fetchapp, that is gear towards serving up files in an e-commerce setup. It integrates with platforms like Shopify. I messed around with the free setup for half a minute, and it seems like you can abuse the system so people can just access a link and video. However, that is abusing the system, and would probably be frowned upon. Heck, even giving away download links free would probably be frowned upon. Heck, the "unmetered bandwidth" and "custom plan" is the same deal that Vimeo has (though maybe different prices).
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

This is going to be a pretty hard decision to make but have you considered maybe doing some videos as pure podcasts (or just with a background?).

Perhaps that as an alternative to the constant struggle with copyright?

We're all here for your observations after all.