Exosquad season one

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
thisithis
Officer

Exosquad season one

Post by thisithis »

Instead of putting a new post for every Exosquad season one EP, I'll just put the whole of Exosquad season one in one thread. That way you can talk about the whole of season one and the EPs that sfdebris already talked about. All most likely being somewhere between all three or none of you. I suggest you should start with the first EP season one with this link.

http://sfdebris.com/videos/animation/exosquad01.php

And go from there. And then talk about among yourselves as much as you like. If you want to talk about Exosquad at all. Universal Studios has done a great job of Firing Jeff Segal and covering up Exosquad after season two. The real reason why Universal Studios got rid of Exosquad and Jeff Segal was because they thought Exosquad was too grown up for kids and hard for children to understand, so they replayed Exosquad with endless crap related to Land before Time. I didn't hate Land before Time, but I do hate what it's became now a days.
Robovski
Captain

Re: Exosquad season one

Post by Robovski »

I appreciate that Chuck reviewed some of season one; I remember seeing this series when it was first aired and loving it and it is nice to revisit this some 20 years later. One thing I distinctly remember from the show merchandising was that some of the figures were actually Robotech battleoid figurines. I bought in Toys'R'Us what looked like an Excalibur (which for those of you who played classic MechWarrior/BattleTech looks like a Warhammer).
Isaac Arthur
Redshirt

Post by Isaac Arthur »

I'm glad Chuck returned to this series, it was one of my favorite cartoons growing up.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

Robovski wrote:I appreciate that Chuck reviewed some of season one; I remember seeing this series when it was first aired and loving it and it is nice to revisit this some 20 years later. One thing I distinctly remember from the show merchandising was that some of the figures were actually Robotech battleoid figurines. I bought in Toys'R'Us what looked like an Excalibur (which for those of you who played classic MechWarrior/BattleTech looks like a Warhammer).
That was Playmate toys got the license to make both Exosquad from Universal Pictures do to the fact that Playmate was going to release a toyline called ExoForce with had nothing to do with Exosquad, as well getting the license for Robotech from Harmony Gold USA, and didn't tell any the respective companies that they where merging there toy-lines. From what I could find out both Universal Pictures and Harmony Gold where not happy with what Playmate did, but any Records of a lawsuit where sealed. But Harmony Gold left, but Universal Pictures stayed with Playmates.

There was one lawsuit but that was from FASA Corporation and Jordan Weisman, claiming that Playmates stole a Exo frame designs from them and put it on Exosquad. Only to find out that Exosquad belonged to Universal Pictures, and that Playmates didn't even own the rights. The man that created Exosquad, Jeff Segal was head of Universal Pictures Animation at the time. And no forgetting that FASA Corporation and Jordan Weisman was caught taking Exo frame designs from Robotech (AKA: Macross, and many other titles.) Basically the lawsuit was laughed out of court.
Revolverman
Redshirt

Post by Revolverman »

I'm impressed how quickly the show made me wish the sun would go super-nova and wipe all these assholes off the face of the universe.

I mean, its not bad show, honestly. I just find everyone so fucking hateable. I mean, the story twists itself in knots to make Neo-Spians look as bad as possible to get you to forget we GENETICALLY ENGINEERED A FUCKING SLAVE RACE. I mean, the resistance in Chicago is a few missing skull emblems from being Werwolf. Never mind my biggest fucking hate button. People being obstructionist assholes to each other for no reason but lazy writing.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

Revolverman wrote:I'm impressed how quickly the show made me wish the sun would go super-nova and wipe all these assholes off the face of the universe.

I mean, its not bad show, honestly. I just find everyone so fucking hateable. I mean, the story twists itself in knots to make Neo-Spians look as bad as possible to get you to forget we GENETICALLY ENGINEERED A FUCKING SLAVE RACE. I mean, the resistance in Chicago is a few missing skull emblems from being Werwolf. Never mind my biggest fucking hate button. People being obstructionist assholes to each other for no reason but lazy writing.
Season two fixes a lot of that. Sadly season two also brought us the Exo-kids, I wise I was kidding. Nara Burns finally learns from her mistake when she is turned into a genetic science test, and her bother is almost killed when freeing Venus and then his killed by humans. And the screaming leader of earth resistance Sean Napier becomes a politician to help Neo-Sapiens have the ability to have children and make an alliance with humans and Neo-Sapiens. And Jonas Simbacca taking Mathew Marcus's place, and being better at Marcus's job. And of course Nara Burns killing Phaeton. And then Aliens attack.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I wonder why this has gotten no reboot. The thing is 20+ years old, it is clearly a good idea with toy-tastic possibilities, and there are plenty of ways they could clean it up and modernize it.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

Rocketboy1313 wrote:I wonder why this has gotten no reboot. The thing is 20+ years old, it is clearly a good idea with toy-tastic possibilities, and there are plenty of ways they could clean it up and modernize it.
Universal Studios wanted to forget that they even mad this show show and trying hard to cover it up so they can make more Land Before Time made for DVD movies. That was the point of firing Jeff Segal.

The only real way is for someone to go to Universal Studios and buy all the right from them. I would love it if Dreamworks or anyone bought it out and made something like a Netflix series out of it. Universal Studios clearly don't want the right to the show anymore.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

The real reason why Universal Studios got rid of Exosquad and Jeff Segal was because they thought Exosquad was too grown up for kids and hard for children to understand, so they replayed Exosquad with endless crap related to Land before Time. I didn't hate Land before Time, but I do hate what it's became now a days.
I hate this mentality. Hate it.

Kids want to see people in their appropriate roles, the roles they dream to be when they're an adult, not kids getting involve in stuff that we all know they'd have no business in.

It's also why I hate when kids shows inject kids into them that wouldn't be there, let along shouldn't. Willy DuWitt in Bucky O'Hare is a good example of that. The setting does not need a human kid getting involved when all we want to see is Bucky and his crew fighting in the Toad Wars.

As for Land Before Time. I consider the original movie to be one of the best animated movies ever made in that it channels very dark and disturbing themes and imagery. It is a movie that leaves an impression upon children in the same way classic fairytales do with the messed up stuff they contain. You know some things from childhood are good when you look back on them and you see how much they scarred you, something completely missed in today's happy feely times.

Everything after it should not exist since the ending is part of what makes the movie so bittersweet: No matter what happy ending came, it still wasn't a happy ending because Dinosaurs days were done, the kids just got to enjoy the last glimmer of happiness they'd have before they'd pass into extinction.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

Beastro wrote:I hate this mentality. Hate it.

Kids want to see people in their appropriate roles, the roles they dream to be when they're an adult, not kids getting involve in stuff that we all know they'd have no business in.

It's also why I hate when kids shows inject kids into them that wouldn't be there, let along shouldn't. Willy DuWitt in Bucky O'Hare is a good example of that. The setting does not need a human kid getting involved when all we want to see is Bucky and his crew fighting in the Toad Wars.

As for Land Before Time. I consider the original movie to be one of the best animated movies ever made in that it channels very dark and disturbing themes and imagery. It is a movie that leaves an impression upon children in the same way classic fairytales do with the messed up stuff they contain. You know some things from childhood are good when you look back on them and you see how much they scarred you, something completely missed in today's happy feely times.

Everything after it should not exist since the ending is part of what makes the movie so bittersweet: No matter what happy ending came, it still wasn't a happy ending because Dinosaurs days were done, the kids just got to enjoy the last glimmer of happiness they'd have before they'd pass into extinction.
I have nothing against Land Before Time. but I hate how Universal Studios sat there fired a man just so they can milk Land Before Time with sequel after sequel, and with each sequel the movies got worst and worst. And your right, the first land Before Time was a good film. But with Land Before Time went from 1988 all the way to 2016. And was it worth killing an American cartoon like Exosquad. Even that Batman the Animated Series beat Exosquad, with the two of them, they helped make shows like Avatar: the Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra.