Wrath of Khan discussion

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Wrath of Khan discussion

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/film2yt.php

Really wasn't expecting this, but am anticipating it because I'm indifferent with WoK.
Power laces... alright.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Wrath of Khan discussion

Post by TGLS »

It points out some interesting things and was nice to listen to while my dad bought groceries
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Taurian Patriot
Officer

Post by Taurian Patriot »

Not only was this what got me into Star Trek at the age of seven, it was also one of the only movies that ever actually made me cry. (Optimus Prime dying in the Transformers movie came close, but not quite.)

I also decided a few years ago that it's got my favorite sci-fi action as well, because not one single shot is wasted. Instead of filling the screen with seizure-inducing lasers and swarms of spinning things and explosions going off for no reason, every pull of a trigger is deliberate, impactful, and important. Even in the nebula battle, the whiffed attacks serve to demonstrate how the ships' systems are impaired, especially after the surgically-precise strikes we see earlier in the movie.

Comparing this to the last decade of Trek action feels very much like a straight case of quality vs. quantity.
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

Chuck, this was simply outstanding! Sometimes I want to laugh at psycho Janeway and calling people Dork von Weenie. But sometimes, I want to hear the story behind the work, the impact, the reasons, and this review knocked that out of the park!

I feel this review couldn't have come at a better time. Wrath of Kahn is timeless, made in the era of the original Star Wars trilogy, it has and will survive the test of time. The graphics aren't wiz-bang, but the story didn't need that, and that's it. If anything, the lack of temptation of amazing graphics only helped the story by not having that crutch there. What Wrath of Kahn shows us is you can have tragedy and emotion, but everything doesn't have to be "dark and gritty and 'real.'" This showed us that even in darkness, you can have light. I'm not just talking about the hope spot at the end with Spock's coffin, but bits of the whole movie. Enterprise was hit hard, but not destroyed. Chekov and Terrell were brainwashed, but Starfleet officers to the core. The ships were hindered, but not beaten by the nebula. Genesis was set to detonate, but the distance to it was increasing. Modern shows, specifically modern Trek, doesn't seem to realize that making a good work, doesn't mean everyone has to have a dark past, be subversive, cuss like a sailor, have a mental health problem (PTSD, depression, substance abuse, etc.). Were the original characters perfect? No. But they were good people.

And it's after midnight and I'm having trouble keeping this coherent.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Ah, nice to see the return of one of Chuck's best reviews. I've listened to this one many times over the years.

Shame the main youtube version is truncated a bit to get around the bots, but the still clips and the slighlty edited script also serve well to tighten it as a review, while the long version is a bit jokier. Not quite sure why youtube red allows those uploads but not the main one.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:37 am Ah, nice to see the return of one of Chuck's best reviews. I've listened to this one many times over the years.

Shame the main youtube version is truncated a bit to get around the bots, but the still clips and the slighlty edited script also serve well to tighten it as a review, while the long version is a bit jokier. Not quite sure why youtube red allows those uploads but not the main one.
It's about risk. Red is, in the end, expendable. If there is a problem, I don't want to risk the main channel getting a strike or shut down. All the ST film reviews on Red are flagged, they're just not blocked. For the main channel, I only ever post a work that will be flagged if I feel it's reasonably safe (unlikely anyone is going to show up demanding it be taken down) and an essential part of the work, and even then, to do it on rare occasions.

Also, I'm thinking that, because of the limitations on what I could put there for so long, Blue has a substantial audience percentage that prefers the straight material. I found out, to my surprise, that my attempts to make X-Files: Drive avoid being blocked, that I apparently did so well it wasn't even flagged. I thought about posting it on Blue, but I think I'd like to try putting more Public videos on Red. There's around 800 subscribers there, it'd be nice if I could have that pay off for them in some way.

And if anyone is wondering, this was an attempt to have something relatively new to offer (you'll see especially next week with ST3 which is almost a complete re-writer) while trying to get the old versions up on Youtube. The Lost World, for instance, took days to get into a version it was happy with, I expected the same for the ST films. I started it on Nov 9, planning to work on just one of the four parts of WoK each day to slowly get it into a YT form. Imagine my shock when, preparing for this massive marathon, that each part went up without being blocked. I've no idea why, but of those six films I posted today, only one had problems. Naturally it was ST5, because that film is always a pain in my ass. What i figured would take two months was finished in less than two weeks, and that was with some caution (I had a worry that playlists mess with the flagging system, because Atlantis was fine and then suddenly all the parts became flagged). But so far, so good.

And a final thing, if you're curious. This time last year I was convinced that CBS had a bot or something watching the site because the moment I posted a ST review, it would be immediately flagged. What other possibility could it be? I finally discovered that DailyMotion's copy bot is really odd: it almost never checks the content until someone has actually viewed it. So the first person to watch it would set it off, hence why it seemed that someone was reporting it the moment it went public. :lol:
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

That's a neat distinction. I like both styles of Chuck and I'm subscribed to both channels anyway so having straight analysis and history vids on one and jokey copyright daring vids on the other makes sense as a strategy.

And hey, two takes on a classic video!

And now I'm really excited to see the review for 3!
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

I always find it interesting that the less control gene Roddenberry has over star trek the better the content tends to be.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I'm satisfied with the reasoning for the isolated issue in uploading being that ST 5 is arguably the least well received even by YT itself.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

drewder wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:49 pm I always find it interesting that the less control gene Roddenberry has over star trek the better the content tends to be.
It like sometimes a creator have a limit on what they can see their series doing.