B5: A Late Delivery From Avalon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

B5: A Late Delivery From Avalon

Post by TGLS »

I really hope this isn't punishment for all the things I've said about Neelix
No, of course not. Where would you get an idea like that? It's punishment for all the things you said about Janeway.
Cats pushing there way in here whenever I block the door
Strange; my cats are usually foiled by the door being closed. Must have smart cats:
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
SFDebris
The Doctor

Re: B5: A Late Delivery From Avalon

Post by SFDebris »

TGLS wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:00 pm
Cats pushing there way in here whenever I block the door
Strange; my cats are usually foiled by the door being closed. Must have smart cats:
Just to clarify, the door can't latch. It's a 130 year old door, the latch broke and I can't find replacement parts for it (even the screws are milled differently than modern screws so they can't thread correctly). It's a major overhaul to fix, but if this continues I'm going to have to add it to the list.

It's such a long list....
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I used to use a pair of socks to keep my bedroom door shut to keep the cats out when I had an old house. Just use it to wedge the door to the frame.
Taurian Patriot
Officer

Post by Taurian Patriot »

I re-watched this one just a month or so ago, and I loved how the characters consider Arthur's story through not only continuity, remembering that Jack the Ripper once showed up to berate Delenn for a few hours, but also actual history, noting the gap between Old English and the modern form.

Man, sci-fi is so good when it's written well.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

The "thine" and "thou" is more early Modern English than Middle English.

And Arthur would not have spoken Old English. He would have spoken a pre-English British language, as the Anglo-Saxon invasion which brought English to the island basically closed out Arthur's reign.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

That would have either made him unintelligible, unintentionally funny, or require subtitles.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Oh, and you didn't notice that Marjorie Monaghan (Tessa "Number One" Halloran) was one of the pictures on that search?
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:23 am That would have either made him unintelligible, unintentionally funny, or require subtitles.
depend. how is your latin??? or perhaps your welsh??

anyway this story isn't the first time JMS touch on the author legend, it been a theme that appear on the show a few time such as Jinx with the search of the grail. You can tell a that the legend really inspire the show runner and that why it repeat itself during the year of the show runs
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I gotta say, Dr Franklin was pretty bone-headed in this one, although maybe that was the point. If you could cure mental illness just by proving to somebody their delusions are false, therapists and psychologists would be out of a job.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

I always particularly liked this episode (perhaps it speaks to me a little more, being A Briton meself). I always found that scene where he talks to the poor old woman who'd been robbed was particularly well done.