TNG - Galaxy's Child

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: TNG - Galaxy's Child

Post by Nealithi »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:13 pm Its definitely an early 1990s piece of television. True, Geordi didn't have sex with the hologram, but she didn't know that and its not an unreasonable assumption. And yet her views of feeling like she had been raped were dismissed as ''she's being a bitch.'' This wouldn't fly today.
The problem with "she's being a bitch." and justifiable anger is that she has not shown a different attitude. She showed up pissed off that someone did anything to alter her work. And came off with an intolerant need to find reasons to be pissed off. If she had come off reasonable and this upset her that much it would not have felt like more of the same from her.

That said Geordi has been shown as terrible with women. If my memory is accurate he started the episode booby trap on a 'date' on the holodeck where the woman looked utterly bored. He tries a little too hard on 'romance' without knowing why certain things are romantic. Also not setting up false expectations. If Geordi had invited her to a quiet dinner and night in his quarters. Then his preparations come off as the setting he was suggesting. The come discuss things over dinner. He should have approached it as a dinner meeting with Data or Chief O'brien. But make it a woman and not a crisis and he got flustered. (And yes cringe worthy)

The problem with the portrayal of Dr. Brahms is that the personality on the holodeck is supposed to be taken from her actual recorded interactions. And she acted nothing like that here. Add in that she kept coming across like Geordi was going to go on trial for what he did in engineering. As opposed to he did hard work and made improvements. So she kept coming off as unreasonable
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Plus one could argue it basically the future version of fanart, creepy if you meet them but one could argue harmless if you don't know them. Heck each person have a line to draw.
cloudkitt
Officer

Post by cloudkitt »

--doublepost--
Last edited by cloudkitt on Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cloudkitt
Officer

Post by cloudkitt »

Geordi/the episode imply that she watched the "whole program," which I assume means the entire interaction from Booby Trap. (Would that have been like listening to one half of a phone conversation?) If so, it does at least make it a little more believable that he could reasonably claim that the program was not just a sex doll, at least. And that she would be calmer about it later in 10 Forward.

But yeah that he wasn't the one to apologize is...tougher to reconcile.
Last edited by cloudkitt on Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

It's been said that the holideck will be the last invention of mankind. I'd like to add to that it'll be created during the last generation of mankind.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

drewder wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:54 pm It's been said that the holideck will be the last invention of mankind. I'd like to add to that it'll be created during the last generation of mankind.
Depends. If the holodeck is operated by AI designed to please humans, I think it's plausible the AI will take up the responsibility of creating more humans.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

You hate Voyager's Tech-Tech Deus Ex Machina every episode in the last 5 minutes? You want some real engineering on Star Trek?

THIS. This Episode.

This episode is just so close to depicting how Engineering Actually Works.

People wasting the bulk of their time arguing about things that don't matter. People pounding on the primacy of experiences they failed to fully share with fellow engineers - versus people extolling the virtues of textbook specs written over 10 years ago, divorced from any direct involvement over practical concerns.

And that's not even getting into the personality traits that actual women in engineering deploy to succeed in positions that require both technical skill and executive authority. For an upper-tier research director, Brahms is downright warm.

Geordi is just so lucky to still have his job at the end of this episode, considering how the Enterprise went through four Chief Engineers in a year not too long before.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

PerrySimm wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:57 pm You hate Voyager's Tech-Tech Deus Ex Machina every episode in the last 5 minutes? You want some real engineering on Star Trek?

THIS. This Episode.

:D
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

PerrySimm wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:57 pm You hate Voyager's Tech-Tech Deus Ex Machina every episode in the last 5 minutes? You want some real engineering on Star Trek?

THIS. This Episode.

People wasting the bulk of their time arguing about things that don't matter. People pounding on the primacy of experiences they failed to fully share with fellow engineers - versus people extolling the virtues of textbook specs written over 10 years ago, divorced from any direct involvement over practical concerns.

And that's not even getting into the personality traits that actual women in engineering deploy to succeed in positions that require both technical skill and executive authority. For an upper-tier research director, Brahms is downright warm.

Geordi is just so lucky to still have his job at the end of this episode, considering how the Enterprise went through four Chief Engineers in a year not too long before.
Tbh, most of the best bosses i've had are women. But people need to realise that most people in authority are alphas; and it is an alpha trait to try and put down rivals to their throne. This is true for both men and women. In my experience, its not men that alpha women hate the most though, its younger women.

Betas are far more likely to get along in a team as they do not wish to dominate each other.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I don't know it sounds like she was being unreasonable if she gives a negative report and the enterprise keep his design and working better that mgiht raise some eyebrows.