Ship of Tears

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TheGreenMan
Redshirt

Ship of Tears

Post by TheGreenMan »

This episode contains a top ten funny B5 quote (for me). "Don't thump the Book of G'Quan"

The title is rather apropos for a review at this time. RIP Mira Furlan.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Ship of Tears

Post by CrypticMirror »

Ah, the atmospheric starfury. How they did not get sued by Lucasfilm for that one is amazing. That is an X-Wing.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

There are enough structural differences that differentiate it. If you think that's bad, compare the Earthforce cruisers to the Alexey Leonov from the movie 2010.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
kpod
Redshirt

Post by kpod »

A reference to Chekhov's Gun in an episode featuring Walter Koenig. Well played.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

TheGreenMan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:48 pm RIP Mira Furlan.
Indeed. Every moment she was on screen during this review that was on my mind. Gone far too soon.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

kpod wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:07 am A reference to Chekhov's Gun in an episode featuring Walter Koenig. Well played.
It'd be even better if the ship that's the Chekhov's Gun was actually being piloted by Walter Koenig.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

kpod wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:07 am A reference to Chekhov's Gun in an episode featuring Walter Koenig. Well played.
I winced at that one, and as someone who enjoys groanworthy jokes that's a compliment!
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

My only problem with this is that Bester's contribution to the Shadow War is.....to not appear on B5 again until after the Shadow War is over, doing jack squat.

I mean, points for getting out of the way of the Army of Light, but you'd think he'd do something beyond just standing to side while the fighting is under way.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

Bester doesn't care about the higher politics. He only cares about telepaths. He plotted with the Clark cabal to ensure the safety of "his" telepaths and worked to uncover the conspiracy led by Edgars. I don't see how it would be in his interest to participate in the shadow war, and lending "his" telepaths to the fight when his primary aim is to ensure the telepaths remain in power.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Oh that's easy.
If the Shadows are aligned with Clark and helped him rise to power, and the Shadows use telepaths as canon fodder, then Clark plans to sell them out. So removing that outside threat then dealing with the fallout with Clark later is the safest path forward.
I mean it's framed more about his personal sentimentality here, but even pragmatically sticking with Clark is a losing move with the information Bester learns here.

God, every time we get a Bester episode I'm reminded of how perfect Koenig is at it. He's the smarmiest motherfucker you ever saw, but it's always played precisely enough to remind you it's just a tool in his kit, to get people riled up enough to give him an edge.