Voy - Renaissance Man

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
PerrySimm
Captain

Re: Voy - Renaissance Man

Post by PerrySimm »

Voyager is true to form to the bitter end. Unable to stop themselves from rehashing decent and recent episodes, here's "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy" warmed over with a side of "Live Fast and Prosper."

I really enjoyed the rant about the penultimate episode needing to mean something and Voyager in general.

Sure, TNG didn't 'need' it for plot reasons, but it still made it count. "Preemptive Strike" was one of the great episodes of TNG. You were crying hasperat tears for Ro Laren by the end of that one.

DS9's "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" did not focus on such a dear guest star (though "Badda Bing, Badda Bang" did) but it was likewise setting the show's doctor up against an intrigue plot - albeit one that wasn't braindead in its logic. It fit better with Bashir's overall character arc, and it gave Admiral Ross a dark edge that we didn't realize he had.

Enterprise's "Demons"/"Terra Prime" is already considered the 'real' finale and "In a Mirror Darkly" is too far from par to really seem like a penultimate ep.

I'm not sure if it's worth evaluating the other shows' second-to-last stories.
clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:19 pm I just had a look through the season 7 episode list trying to find a more suitable episode than this one to be the penultimate and I think ''Shattered'' is a good contender.
Yes, but that episode wasn't half bad. I think "Friendship One" could have been held back a few weeks and aired in this slot. It was already pretty late in Season 7 and it at least served a role as a funeral dirge for the very concept of continuity on Voyager.
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:18 pm What Janeway should have said is, "WE'RE IN A NAVY! Chakotay would be the Captain.
Agreed. If they even had the slightest ability to pull a last second plot twist, they could have just left her there, only for her time-travelling future self show up next time and wave it all away. Tuvok's whole 'Remember that time Janeway got kidnapped?' plotline in "Endgame" could have been a real thing from the show.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:39 am
Nealithi wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:58 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:23 am The way to catch a bank robber is rarely to go around rounding up the usual suspects, but to look at who suddenly has unusual spending habits and work backwards. Good hunters don't follow, they wait. That little girl who walks through walls, unless she suddenly turns up for work the next morning with a brand new bright red Ferrari 308 GTS Spider, is not going to be caught because the files say she could walk through walls. She is going to be caught because she suddenly starts flashing the cash. What is gonna stop her walking through walls in the first place? A well observed and equitable unwritten social contract which prioritises rewarding moral behaviour in the first place.
I agree with you. The concern is that may not be what the police do. The way the media likes to whip a frenzy on topics will fan hate and bigotry. So like the post civil war south. Something was allegedly robbed. There is a black male in town, get him. If he is lucky (Relative term) he spends the rest of his life in prison. Unlucky get killed. Oh yeah and he was absolutely innocent.

That again goes into why I think such a list is dangerous of itself.
How did this come to past.
I am not certain I understand the question?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:56 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:23 am The way to catch a bank robber is rarely to go around rounding up the usual suspects, but to look at who suddenly has unusual spending habits and work backwards. Good hunters don't follow, they wait. That little girl who walks through walls, unless she suddenly turns up for work the next morning with a brand new bright red Ferrari 308 GTS Spider, is not going to be caught because the files say she could walk through walls. She is going to be caught because she suddenly starts flashing the cash. What is gonna stop her walking through walls in the first place? A well observed and equitable unwritten social contract which prioritises rewarding moral behaviour in the first place.
I agree with you. The concern is that may not be what the police do. The way the media likes to whip a frenzy on topics will fan hate and bigotry. So like the post civil war south. Something was allegedly robbed. There is a black male in town, get him. If he is lucky (Relative term) he spends the rest of his life in prison. Unlucky get killed. Oh yeah and he was absolutely innocent.

How did this question get ask on this thread.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:00 pm

Ah, now I understand.
The Doctor's shapeshifting and command codes makes him a serious security breach on Voyager and logically with all that ability there should/would be safe guards. A comparison was made to the Mutant Registration Act in the X-Men movies. And we got on how the Act was and was not good and how it could be used or abused.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Just to be clear, while we would never need to register people with superpowers, people with guns should be registered so that when someone starts displaying redflag behaviours, their guns can be removed before they escalate. That is my position on gun control. Also, nobody in the UK outside licensed professionals needs a gun anyway. Not even farmers need personal weapons, in fact, especially not farmers. They can subcontract to a pest controller if they think they have too many rabbits, and that pest controller can do a proper risk and biodiversity assessment first. The UK has some of the most biodegraded ecosystems in the world, thanks to leaving farmers to self regulate.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:17 pm Just to be clear, while we would never need to register people with superpowers, people with guns should be registered so that when someone starts displaying redflag behaviours, their guns can be removed before they escalate. That is my position on gun control. Also, nobody in the UK outside licensed professionals needs a gun anyway. Not even farmers need personal weapons, in fact, especially not farmers. They can subcontract to a pest controller if they think they have too many rabbits, and that pest controller can do a proper risk and biodiversity assessment first. The UK has some of the most biodegraded ecosystems in the world, thanks to leaving farmers to self regulate.
Oooo. I thought when farmers were mentioned there were still wolves etc that threatened farm animals.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:47 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:00 pm

Ah, now I understand.
The Doctor's shapeshifting and command codes makes him a serious security breach on Voyager and logically with all that ability there should/would be safe guards. A comparison was made to the Mutant Registration Act in the X-Men movies. And we got on how the Act was and was not good and how it could be used or abused.
My beginning point is that Star Trek is ridiculous to allow shape-shifters and telepaths to run around without countermeasures. I used the mutant registration act because it raises questions that Star Trek should logically ask but is glossing over.

Despite the X-Men and gun control talk, this is still fundamentally a Star Trek question. It ultimately comes down to crap worldbuilding.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:08 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:17 pm Just to be clear, while we would never need to register people with superpowers, people with guns should be registered so that when someone starts displaying redflag behaviours, their guns can be removed before they escalate. That is my position on gun control. Also, nobody in the UK outside licensed professionals needs a gun anyway. Not even farmers need personal weapons, in fact, especially not farmers. They can subcontract to a pest controller if they think they have too many rabbits, and that pest controller can do a proper risk and biodiversity assessment first. The UK has some of the most biodegraded ecosystems in the world, thanks to leaving farmers to self regulate.
Oooo. I thought when farmers were mentioned there were still wolves etc that threatened farm animals.
We exterminated all of our wolves and big cats centuries ago - precisely because they were threatening lifestock and people back then didn't have the same animal laws holding us back from take the appropriate action. This is going to be a controversial statement i'm sure, but Britain is better off without them. I wonder how many people who cry about such things would be happy to have a pack of hungry wolves cross their back yard.

We have a saying in Britain - NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard). It refers to people who want more cell towers or schools or big vicious animals in the world just as long as it takes place in someone else's street.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

clearspira wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:08 pm
We exterminated all of our wolves and big cats centuries ago - precisely because they were threatening lifestock and people back then didn't have the same animal laws holding us back from take the appropriate action. This is going to be a controversial statement i'm sure, but Britain is better off without them. I wonder how many people who cry about such things would be happy to have a pack of hungry wolves cross their back yard.

We have a saying in Britain - NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard). It refers to people who want more cell towers or schools or big vicious animals in the world just as long as it takes place in someone else's street.
I do wonder how that effect the environment outside of the farms.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:11 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:08 pm

I do wonder how that effect the environment outside of the farms.
Given the population of Britain, it seems necessary. Britain is about the size of Oregon, and has a population density like Connecticut.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu