What is Captain Janeway's biggest mistake?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Re: What is Captain Janeway's biggest mistake?

Post by Durandal_1707 »

StrangeDevice wrote:
Durandal_1707 wrote:If it were me, the answer's no. Not if it's just me, not if I have a squad. My squad being stuck away from home, possibly having to settle in a foreign land, is a minor inconvenience when compared to the tragedy of millions of people being hauled off to the death camps. Needs of the many.
Even if we go with the natural, moral choice of turning down the idea, that still leaves the weapon of mass destruction though. It doesn't go away, you still have it, so what are you going to do with it? Destroy it and potentially rob your side of that crucial advantage? Keep it and paint a target on your backs?
Voyager didn't have a weapon of mass destruction until they partnered with the Borg to develop it, so that's a non sequitur.

This is more like having the scientists on your team help the Nazis build an atom bomb. There's just no way to defend it.
Durandal_1707 wrote:These things are a fundamentally different form of life that can only communicate via telepathy, and you're complaining that they weren't specific enough in their wording?
Well, if there's going to be nitpicking about the etymology of "purged", it's the logical next step. You can't get picky about wording and then criticise about getting picky about wording.
Who's being picky about wording? I'm saying that the message was vague and poorly understood, and thus Voyager acted on insufficient information. And I think I've been pretty consistent about that.
Regardless, the nature of an alien intelligence is that it is alien. The parasites from TNG's "Conspiracy" wished "peaceful coexistence", but it sure as hell wasn't what the crew of the Enterprise thought was unity. Had the television series picked up that thread and shown that Picard was responsible for annihilating a taskforce reacting against the Federation, would his actions have seemed less appropriate?
Picard reacted against an alien that provably was attacking the Federation, and he didn't empower a supremely evil force to commit mass genocide on a galactic scale to do it, so no.
That's another thing... VOY's "In the Flesh" showed the aliens' idea of a simple reconnaissance mission was infiltration similar to the parasites and although "Boothby" and "Archer" were eventually reasonable, those that they had to answer to were still rallying for war (and would still do so if STO is counted). As "Boothby" says -- "I can't promise you the moon."
Their home was invaded. Voyager was there helping their invaders, and has a weapon capable of destroying them. Which they've used once. They don't trust us. Would you?

Think of Pearl Harbor, and how much that event mobilized people for war. Think if some other erstwhile neutral country had one of their planes flying in formation with those Japanese bombers, and then it turned out they'd co-designed the bombs that were used. Would the USA have been all hugs and kisses with that country during the next few years?
Durandal_1707 wrote:Standard hail: 8472 doesn't communicate this way, so they probably didn't understand its purpose. The tractor beam was likely a lot easier to understand...

Beaming aboard like pirates: Not so much. There were plenty of Borg still on that ship; calmly walking around a ship whose occupants are still alive, with neither side reacting in a hostile manner to the other, is not how pirates operate. For all 8472 knew, the Voyager crew were there to assist with the repairs. (Plus, this all assumes that 8472 even has a concept of what pirates are in the first place.)
Which more or less proves my point really. It's really easy to criticise in hindsight and point out knowledge that the characters didn't have at the time. Following this line of logic, Kirk is just as much responsible for letting Kronos One be destroyed as Chang in ST6 because Scotty told him that the torpedo tubes were still fully loaded and not checking for transporter signals to Kronos One from Enterprise.
Kirk didn't willingly collaborate with a supremely evil force to enable it to commit mass genocide on a galactic scale, so no.

Also: Kirk didn't make the torpedoes for Chang, and he didn't fire them. Both of which Voyager actually did.
StrangeDevice
Officer

Post by StrangeDevice »

Durandal_1707 wrote:Voyager didn't have a weapon of mass destruction until they partnered with the Borg to develop it, so that's a non sequitur. This is more like having the scientists on your team help the Nazis build an atom bomb. There's just no way to defend it.
In hindsight, sure. In that present moment is more questionable. The Voyager crew did possess the information necessary to develop one through research performed by the EMH. Information is power, it's why defecting scientists were considered such a hot commodity both during and after the World Wars. Operation: Paperclip and so forth.
Durandal_1707 wrote:Who's being picky about wording? I'm saying that the message was vague and poorly understood, and thus Voyager acted on insufficient information. And I think I've been pretty consistent about that.
I'm going to skip over this because it's starting to sound personal and that doesn't help anyone.
Durandal_1707 wrote:Picard reacted against an alien that provably was attacking the Federation, and he didn't empower a supremely evil force to commit mass genocide on a galactic scale to do it, so no.
Ah, but there's that word again "probably".
Durandal_1707 wrote:Their home was invaded. Voyager was there helping their invaders, and has a weapon capable of destroying them. Which they've used once. They don't trust us. Would you?

Think of Pearl Harbor, and how much that event mobilized people for war. Think if some other erstwhile neutral country had one of their planes flying in formation with those Japanese bombers, and then it turned out they'd co-designed the bombs that were used. Would the USA have been all hugs and kisses with that country during the next few years?
Interestingly (and disturbingly), there is a historical precedent for such an event, but it's not to do with the Nazis -- Unit 731. Instead of being tried for war crimes, the Japanese research and development unit were secretly given immunity in the United States in exchange for the information they gathered through human experimentation. The data was amalgamated into America's own biological weapons program, supposedly to safeguard it against Soviet interception. The States quashed any war crime trials for years, the Russians were more on top of it than they were at the time. There can be hugs and kisses when politically convenient, even with utter monsters.
Kirk didn't willingly collaborate with a supremely evil force to enable it to commit mass genocide on a galactic scale, so no.

Also: Kirk didn't make the torpedoes for Chang, and he didn't fire them. Both of which Voyager actually did.
However, he did try to bully the Organians into trying to fight his war and repeatedly calling them cowards when they refused to be swayed. This is all while acting in the role of a Starfleet captain. Actions that are questionable with hindsight, rather than in the immediate moment. Anyway, if she hadn't blown up the array to begin with, she wouldn't have been in the Delta Quadrant to make that decision.

Look, it doesn't appear as though anyone is going to convince anybody one way or the other. Let's just agree to disagree on this subject. It'll save us both the energy.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

StrangeDevice wrote:
Durandal_1707 wrote:Voyager didn't have a weapon of mass destruction until they partnered with the Borg to develop it, so that's a non sequitur. This is more like having the scientists on your team help the Nazis build an atom bomb. There's just no way to defend it.
In hindsight, sure. In that present moment is more questionable. The Voyager crew did possess the information necessary to develop one through research performed by the EMH. Information is power, it's why defecting scientists were considered such a hot commodity both during and after the World Wars. Operation: Paperclip and so forth.
Nobody outside Voyager knew that they had the wherewithal to build something like that (or most people on Voyager for that matter), so they couldn't be a target for this reason unless they were dealing with omniscient beings.
Durandal_1707 wrote:Picard reacted against an alien that provably was attacking the Federation, and he didn't empower a supremely evil force to commit mass genocide on a galactic scale to do it, so no.
Ah, but there's that word again "probably".
Ironically, that word is not in the bit you quoted, so I'm just confused again. :P
Durandal_1707 wrote:Their home was invaded. Voyager was there helping their invaders, and has a weapon capable of destroying them. Which they've used once. They don't trust us. Would you?

Interestingly (and disturbingly), there is a historical precedent for such an event, but it's not to do with the Nazis -- Unit 731. Instead of being tried for war crimes, the Japanese research and development unit were secretly given immunity in the United States in exchange for the information they gathered through human experimentation. The data was amalgamated into America's own biological weapons program, supposedly to safeguard it against Soviet interception. The States quashed any war crime trials for years, the Russians were more on top of it than they were at the time. There can be hugs and kisses when politically convenient, even with utter monsters.
Yes, and Wernher von Braun helped us get to the moon. That's not the same thing, though. I'm not talking about selfishly overlooking the war crimes of individuals that should have been prosecuted because we could profit from them, I'm talking about trusting a government whose craft had been seen participating on an attack on our soil. The WWII-era German and Japanese governments were completely beaten at that time, and those countries were in the process of being rebuilt by the US, so they would obviously not be seen as a threat in the post-WWII era. But suppose, say, it turned out that Switzerland had flown some bombers and lobbed a few during that attack on Pearl Harbor, and then stayed out of the rest of the war. Afterwards, would we trust the Swiss government when it tried to say it was our friend?

However, he did try to bully the Organians into trying to fight his war and repeatedly calling them cowards when they refused to be swayed. This is all while acting in the role of a Starfleet captain. Actions that are questionable with hindsight, rather than in the immediate moment.
And that action was clearly portrayed as wrong by the episode. It didn't involve aiding genocide, though, so I don't see the immediate application.
Look, it doesn't appear as though anyone is going to convince anybody one way or the other. Let's just agree to disagree on this subject. It'll save us both the energy.
Fair enough.
StrangeDevice
Officer

Post by StrangeDevice »

Durandal_1707 wrote:Ironically, that word is not in the bit you quoted, so I'm just confused again. :P
I'm still doing daring one-on-one battle with the BBCode of sites like this, I can never get used to it. :P

Well, here's a good question: How would you have fixed this mistake? I've always thought that Season 4 should have been the one where the show switched gears and had the crew starting to go native. That and actually doing a Year of Hell rather than a Two-Parter of Woe.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

StrangeDevice wrote:
Durandal_1707 wrote:Ironically, that word is not in the bit you quoted, so I'm just confused again. :P
I'm still doing daring one-on-one battle with the BBCode of sites like this, I can never get used to it. :P

Well, here's a good question: How would you have fixed this mistake? I've always thought that Season 4 should have been the one where the show switched gears and had the crew starting to go native. That and actually doing a Year of Hell rather than a Two-Parter of Woe.
Both of your ideas are good; crew going native would have really differentiated Voyager from TNG, and would have facilitated story arc-based writing. I've always wished the Year of Hell was real, so that'd be great too. The way things went was pretty good, though; Season 4 was probably the high point of the series, and 7/9 was a great character, so I'd settle just for the writers acknowledging that the Borg deal was a huge mistake on Janeway's part. They kinda went partway with Chakotay objecting to the plan, but then that Janeway is Always Right thing seemed to kick in, even though Voyager didn't get anything out of the deal in the end, and all the results were negative. And I couldn't believe when the writers didn't have any sympathy for that guy from Hope and Fear. I mean, put yourself in that guy's place, how would you feel? Jeez.
StrangeDevice
Officer

Post by StrangeDevice »

Durandal_1707 wrote:Both of your ideas are good; crew going native would have really differentiated Voyager from TNG, and would have facilitated story arc-based writing. I've always wished the Year of Hell was real, so that'd be great too. The way things went was pretty good, though; Season 4 was probably the high point of the series, and 7/9 was a great character, so I'd settle just for the writers acknowledging that the Borg deal was a huge mistake on Janeway's part. They kinda went partway with Chakotay objecting to the plan, but then that Janeway is Always Right thing seemed to kick in, even though Voyager didn't get anything out of the deal in the end, and all the results were negative. And I couldn't believe when the writers didn't have any sympathy for that guy from Hope and Fear. I mean, put yourself in that guy's place, how would you feel? Jeez.
Thanks. :D Not only that but if you look at an episode like "Phage", it really doesn't fit with Janeway's character for her to be so unsympathetic either, so that's a twofer. I always thought that episode would've been stronger if you took the cold open of "Alliances", slapped it on the front and took out her decision to let the two Vidiians go. The acting there when she's struggling with the decision is marvellous enough to allow for either interpretation. We get them bargaining and Janeway immediately takes them to the medbay. A little ambiguity was all that was needed. Maybe she would've killed them to save Neelix.

Well, how's this for an idea... Take "Hope and Fear", bump it up to roughly halfway through the season and have it do what "Alliances" didn't. Let's say, just after where Paris and Chakotay are abducted aboard Annorax's ship. Already beaten low by losing her pilot and first officer, we get Arturus's story about how "Scorpion" shot his whole world to hell. Then the alliances we see in the second half of that storyline get formed over the course of several episodes, Janeway expands on what she told Tuvok on the array way back in "Caretaker":
"We never asked to be involved, Tuvok, but this is their home and we are... We are answerable to them. All of them."
She can't stay the objective scientist observing the experiment from the outside anymore. Her morals won't let her. And Voyager starts getting this rep. In some corners, she's the ship of Sherwood, in others, she's been classified as a terrorist group. Maybe towards the end of the season, we run into a species that were affiliated with Arturus who helped with the deception and we get to see their judgement of this changed captain and crew.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

MaxWylde wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 4:15 am
The Romulan Republic wrote:
TrueMetis wrote:Thomas Riker shows why the Tuvix thing what such a terrible mistake. Still wasn't her worst mistake, that would either be stranding her crew in the Delta quadrant or making the choice to pursue a command position instead of sticking to science.
Not sure I feel up to rehashing the Caretaker argument again, but I think you can make a pretty good Prime Directive defence for Janeway's actions there, and it did probably help the Ocampa at least a little. Far from her worst action, even if the rational she gave in the show was not very effective.

As to command... I think that Janeway was meant to be a good commander in the show- the writing was just uneven. But if we take her as portrayed in canon... yeah, maybe.
The problem with this Prime Directive defence is that it's rather gooey. The Prime Directive itself is gooey. On the one hand, it's stated that Starfleet personnel are not allowed to interfere directly or even indirectly in the affairs of worlds deemed too primitive to understand the concept of alien star-faring races, or expose them to knowledge of such people, ostensibly. But, we've seen that Starfleet is willing to do just that, such as in A Private Little War, to prevent that world in the subject episode from becoming a Klingon satellite state.

But, then the Prime Directive kind of morphs into something that becomes so intangible one wonders why it's a general order at all, especially since we never see anyone called on the carpet for violating it (Picard came close in The Drumhead). The PD prohibits Starfleet personnel from interfering in the affairs of primitive cultures unless said culture is under threat from a more technologically sophisticated culture, and apparently this can be interpreted by the ranking officer on the scene.

There is a sound reason for the non-interference policy, and that is that Starfleet probably doesn't want to get involved in situations that detracts from their bigger missions, namely exploration (but the real one is defence). The situation in Pen Pals, where Picard and the Enterprise-D end up helping a world undergoing violent tectonic activity that threatens to shake the planet apart, is one such issue that Picard should've been court-martialed over, and it's shocking that he wasn't. I'm not against helping out little Sarjenka and her world, but consider that everything worked out all right in the end. Very convenient that all it took was a volley of torpedoes armed with special "harmonic resonators" to solve the problem. Suppose it didn't solve the problem, and it required the Enterprise-D to remain there longer, for, perhaps, days, weeks, even months? Suppose it required Picard to call in additional resources from Starfleet, thus letting the cat out of the bag? That's why he should be court-martialed, because in real militaries, general orders mean something, and if you violate them, even if everything goes well, it usually means the end of a career at the very least because Picard did not involve his chain of command in on this decision.

Which gets me back to Janeway and the Ocampa. There was no good reason to do what she did in helping them and thus stranding them out in the Delta Quadrant. We know she could've just as well destroyed the Caretaker Array and deprived the Kazon of any technology it had, and go home at the same time. She decides to help the Ocampa at the potential expense of her ship and crew. There was nobody around to tell her, "With all due respect, Captain, but this is not really your ship, but Starfleet's and the Federation. You do not have the right to strand us out here like this, for a people we hardly know, for an event that may or may not happen. And, even if the Kazon do manage to go in there and wipe out the Ocampa, at some point we can't take responsibility for this because the Caretaker kept those people in a juvenile state of lethargy for so long, out of guilt for what he did. We have a duty to return home to Federation space."

This is the kind of thing that Horatio Hornblower, upon whose stories Star Trek is loosely based on, about a lone ship with a captain who represents Great Britain and her interests because they're so far out of range of conventional communications that he has to be the embodiment of the nation he's serving in order to do his duty to King and Country, would not have done. He would not have helped out some indigenous group of people in a far away island fend off Asiatic pirates because of some worry they'd be exploited or worse, because that ship does not belong to him, but to His Majesty King George III. Unless such pirates were in some sort of league with the French and represented a direct threat to Britain and her interests in the Pacific, it's not in Hornblower's right or duty to render any sort of assistance in this regard.

So I'd say that Janeway's biggest mistake was stranding them in the Delta Quadrant to begin with. It should've been a major bone of contention throughout the freakin' Voyager series, where the Maquis were ready to pounce and assume command of the vessel at any further instances of the Captain's incompetence potentially costing them lives and time spent away from their loved ones.
I've come up with a theory regarding "A Private Little War" and "Friday's Child". Both involve primitive worlds crew members visited in the past and both involved Klingons. I'll include Organia, as well, since everyone thought it was primitive. Essentially, in the "disputed territory", the Prime Directive simply doesn't apply. Essentially, since the Klingons can move in at will, there's little point in the Federation invoking the PD since the people will be learning about space travel, anyway. Presumably, the planet in APLW was deemed insignificant from a strategic standpoint, which is why young Kirk RECOMMENDED adhering to what is normally Federation law.

In TOS, it certainly DIDN'T include letting populations be wiped out by natural occurrences as we saw it was the Enterprise's mission to stop the asteroid from hitting the planet. Spock nearly crippled the ship to succeed.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

J!! wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 am I actually come down on Janeway's side in the Tuvix thing. Yes, she executed an innocent man. And in doing so, she saved the lives of two innocent men.

2>1
It's not that, it's that she lost two crew members and had a chance of recovering them by ending the life of a stranger. Neelix is simply a crew member, we can leave him at that since he's ultimately (and immanently) disposable, but Tuvok is member of Star Fleet and a Fed citizen. If he can be recovered then they have to owe it to him to get him back.

Tuvix is nothing beyond possibly being better for Voyager than Tuvok in some utilitarian ways that don't make up for trading someone for someone else that has only existed for a few days. It's less comparable to organ harvesting than a wife going into labour and the husband being told by the doctor something;'s gone wrong and only one can live. He has to pick: Does he pick the wife he knows and has loved for years and years or the child mainly still just a possibility in his mind that he hasn't connected with much, and then only through his wife and her stomach?

It's a shit situation to be in, but I can understand a man in that position going with his wife, just as I can see Voyager's crew wanting Tuvok and Neelix back rather than someone they just met.
The Romulan Republic wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 3:21 am None of that addresses the fact that 8472 attacked Voyager without provocation (unless "being in the vicinity of a Borg ship" constitutes provocation).

I will acknowledge that Janeway took actions which could have facilitated genocide, though her intentions were more likely to prevent genocide than to cause it.

However, I do not feel that it is fair to blame her for every subsequent assimilation by the Borg. Those losses all had multiple causes, and there is no way to know how things would have gone, or if they would have been better, in an alternate universe where Janeway did not help the Borg against 8472. Moreover, I am wary of the implication that anyone who threatens the Borg should automatically gain carte blanche.
The sticky matter is the Borg are an existential threat to everyone in the galaxy. It's a matter of when, not if they threaten everyone. With that said any dealings that strengthen the Borg increase the threat to Federation which all those other assimilated species highlight. Helping the Borg is simply not in the Federations national interest - it would be better for the Fed Voyager never get home than help the Borg. Hell, it would be better if Voyager was fully assimilated than help them.

The fundamental trouble is with the premise of the episodes themselves. They had to present 8472 as a worse threat than the Borg and they really failed to do that because both are equally bad. It would have been better for Voyager to try to contact the Fed, inform them of a new player in the game against the Borg and regardless of if they could, try to play on off against the other, especially when Voyager was able to create effective weapons against 8472 while the Borg are notoriously hard to fight due to their adaptability.

I think Voyager completely bungled the Borg. First Contact didn't help with the precedence it established (assimilation and humanizing the Borg), but that's comparable to the engines of an aircraft breaking down not being the worst problem it faced when the pilot's reaction to the crisis was to invert the plane and land it upside-down.
MaxWylde wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 4:15 am This is the kind of thing that Horatio Hornblower, upon whose stories Star Trek is loosely based on, about a lone ship with a captain who represents Great Britain and her interests because they're so far out of range of conventional communications that he has to be the embodiment of the nation he's serving in order to do his duty to King and Country, would not have done. He would not have helped out some indigenous group of people in a far away island fend off Asiatic pirates because of some worry they'd be exploited or worse, because that ship does not belong to him, but to His Majesty King George III. Unless such pirates were in some sort of league with the French and represented a direct threat to Britain and her interests in the Pacific, it's not in Hornblower's right or duty to render any sort of assistance in this regard.
That's because the RN, like any national military arm, had a clear aim and intent and made that clear to their ship commanders. The RN's focus was very very aggressive in outlook and instilled an outlook in its captains to keep their actions consistent with English/British policy.

It's why a captain could very well do no wrong by attacking, because it showed everyone that you do not fuck with Britain. If a local native group pisses a captain off, they get attacked, if pirates do something, they get attacked, if another European nations captain does something, they get attacked too. That extended even to frivolous matters, such as failing to acknowledge English rule over the ocean by firing their salute cannon first out of difference to the English monarch as Sovereign of the Seas. Failure would fall onto the lap of the captain who didn't win, but those that were successful would be backed.

This continued on for some time, as can be seen in the opening of the Suez Canal:
Although L'Aigle was officially the first vessel through the canal, HMS Newport, captained by George Nares, passed through it first. On the night before the canal was due to open, Captain Nares navigated his vessel, in total darkness and without lights, through the mass of waiting ships until it was in front of L'Aigle. When dawn broke, the French were horrified to find that the Royal Navy was first in line and that it would be impossible to pass them. Nares received both an official reprimand and an unofficial vote of thanks from the Admiralty for his actions in promoting British interests and for demonstrating such superb seamanship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Canal#Inauguration_(17_November_1869)
This is why the Navy Board, and Britain as a whole, supported Graham Moore when he went to inspect some Spanish frigates carrying New World gold off Cadiz, was rebuked, and promptly attacked without a declaration of war issued by Britain. This resulted in one frigate blowing up killing most of the crew and returning government officials onboard. Despite what you'd expect, he was praised given the other three frigates were captured and the windfall of treasure was a good boost to Moore which made it a success in British eyes striking a blow against Spanish defiance and French Continental hegemony during the Peace of Amiens, even if it official contributed to Spain siding again with France.
because that ship does not belong to him, but to His Majesty King George III.
It's also worth noting that when officers in the RN received their commission they were reminded that they answered directly to the Naval Board and not the Monarch, something which stood in contrast to the writing an Army officer received on commission which made it clear he answered to the Monarch.

In many ways, the RN was run more like a company than as what we commonly see as a military arm, something which was appropriate given its primary aim of protecting national trade that also allowed it to become unusually efficient in how it handled its logistics once the company mindset began to take over in the early-mid 17th Century.
MaxWylde wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 4:15 am The problem with this Prime Directive defence is that it's rather gooey. The Prime Directive itself is gooey. On the one hand, it's stated that Starfleet personnel are not allowed to interfere directly or even indirectly in the affairs of worlds deemed too primitive to understand the concept of alien star-faring races, or expose them to knowledge of such people, ostensibly. But, we've seen that Starfleet is willing to do just that, such as in A Private Little War, to prevent that world in the subject episode from becoming a Klingon satellite state.
The trouble is it's completely idealistic compared to something like the above English/British mindset which kept national interest in mind. Yes, that made the RN into assholes, but it also meant that whenever someone could do something nice that didn't directly impact national interest they could. The PD makes good acts bad when taken too literally.

It's been awhile since I saw it, but in "For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky", Kirk has zero reason from the later PD outlook or national interest to interfere to stop the meteor from crashing into the planet killing off two civilizations. He tries and succeeds though because what alternative is there? They'll both die and death isn't in the interest of those people and it's no harm to the Federation if he helps. It's a bad enough issue to warrant interference, same with "Pen Pals".

I'd like to think we can all agree that such existential crisis' are in keeping with the spirit of the PD, which is too balance others interests alongside the Federations, and not with Riker's "It's not our place to interfere with natural selection" talk.
cdrood wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:31 pmBoth involve primitive worlds crew members visited in the past and both involved Klingons. I'll include Organia, as well, since everyone thought it was primitive. Essentially, in the "disputed territory", the Prime Directive simply doesn't apply. Essentially, since the Klingons can move in at will, there's little point in the Federation invoking the PD since the people will be learning about space travel, anyway. Presumably, the planet in APLW was deemed insignificant from a strategic standpoint, which is why young Kirk RECOMMENDED adhering to what is normally Federation law.
That then goes into the sticky fact that the Federation is the only nation that adheres to the PD. If it's not the Klingons it'll the Romulans, Ferengi, Cardassians, everyone else won't.

Hell, I could see it in Klingons to create private armies ala the Conquistadors who then go out to conquer less advanced worlds for the fun of it, matching their tech and few of numbers against hordes of primitive fodder. Such would be glorious fighting to the Klingons. Once finished off and subdued, then it would be passed off to the Empire with the surviving Klingons becoming important officials governing the world, that is unless they then just move on to another world for more glory.

The private aspects of Klingon warrior culture are vastly under-explored in Trek. Heck, I could even see that being the "in" for Klingon warriors to justify doing non-warrior things: Conquering an entire world is certain cause to enjoy the fruits of it and what economic benefits might come to them individually by trading what comes from it. It's the very reason why Medieval aristocracy involved themselves in the economy as they sneered at it as their beloved land produced excess which could then be traded off at fairs for extra profit.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

I've never understood the prime directive argument for destroying the caretaker array. I would think interference between the relationship between the Kazon and the Ocampa was a violation of the prime directive. It seems like exactly the sort of playing god the prime directive is meant to prevent.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Snarky argument. "Bringing Neelix on board." Past that... I'm gonna say... trying to murder the unarmed man in "Equinox."
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords