Interstella 5555

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Interstella 5555

Post by RobbyB1982 »

This was supposed to be up as a double feature for Christmas, but the bots wouldn't allow it.
Because even though the whole thing is up on youtube, playing the same thing edited and without music clips is apparently still bad. Weird.

youtu.be/FaOp8EToGj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOp8EToGj0

Chuck brings it up at the start of the video, but the title is indeed prounounced "four five", which goes back to Galaxy Empress 999, created by the same guy that did the designs and directing for the special, Leiji Matsumoto.... and the title of that was similarly pronounced "three nine" rather than "nine nine nine".

I'd never realized before that the 5555 was supposed to be an homage before and read the same way. Neat! Random new thing I learned today!
Last edited by RobbyB1982 on Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Re: Interstella 5555

Post by SFDebris »

I just want to say that by the time I was recording this, I'd already had a full week that started on Sunday, put in a 16 hour day on Christmas Eve, slept about five hours, then was on hour 12 of Christmas Day. So that's why I gave up on pronouncing foreign names, I didn't compromise on working on the review at all, but I was so exhausted I didn't want to go searching for stuff like that. I hope it doesn't make it look like I didn't care about the reviews.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

SFDebris wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:15 pm I just want to say that by the time I was recording this, I'd already had a full week that started on Sunday, put in a 16 hour day on Christmas Eve, slept about five hours, then was on hour 12 of Christmas Day. So that's why I gave up on pronouncing foreign names, I didn't compromise on working on the review at all, but I was so exhausted I didn't want to go searching for stuff like that. I hope it doesn't make it look like I didn't care about the reviews.
You are the man who kept on working after his doctor told him not to and after he had a house fall on his head. Your work ethic is not in doubt mate :lol:
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

It's also a very stupid way to pronounce '5555'. At least in English - maybe that makes more sense in Japanese, I don't know.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

SFDebris wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:15 pm I hope it doesn't make it look like I didn't care about the reviews.
Not in the least! I wouldn't know that at all if I hadn't seen the movies years ago. That's a bonus fact I was adding, not a correction! I'm so sorry if I phrased that badly.

Until you did this video and pointed out how 5555 is supposed to be pronounced, I NEVER made the connection before. I thought it was five five five five! But it falls right into place once you say that, it was a tribute. I learned something new!

You work way too hard as is CHuck,no one thinks you were slacking, especially when you tried to get up THREE surprise videos on Christmas!
Last edited by RobbyB1982 on Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Frustration wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:41 pm It's also a very stupid way to pronounce '5555'. At least in English - maybe that makes more sense in Japanese, I don't know.
It's not intuitive when you're *reading* it, no, but it makes perfect sense when you're saying it out loud and don't have the number to look at.

When your saying it out loud it helps clarify how many digits there are and that you're not stuttering or repeating. It also works as an abbreviation shorthand.

If you see 8000, do you say eight zero zero zero or eight thousand? If your phone number is 456-7800, you'll usually say "double zero" or " eight hundred" as opposed to "eight zero zero" because it rolls off the tongue easier than saying the same thing multiple times. Or discarding numbers entirely, if your last name has repeat letters like "Letterman" you'll probably say "two t's" rather than "t-t" to help make the distinction and be perfectly clear how many of that you want there.

Weird to *read* it like that, pretty natural to *say* it like that.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Post by stellar_coyote »

Love this album, and the music movie as well. And Chuck is right, this is very much a labor of love and a passion project in every sense of the word.

I used to work as a sign twirler back in college; this and the soundtrack to Tron Legacy helped get me through my work day so I have fond memories of the film.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:32 pm
If you see 8000, do you say eight zero zero zero or eight thousand? If your phone number is 456-7800, you'll usually say "double zero" or " eight hundred" as opposed to "eight zero zero" because it rolls off the tongue easier than saying the same thing multiple times. Or discarding numbers entirely, if your last name has repeat letters like "Letterman" you'll probably say "two t's" rather than "t-t" to help make the distinction and be perfectly clear how many of that you want there.

There are certain ways certain numbers are said, and in certain situations. "Four five" isn't one I've ever encountered and certainly doesn't feel natural. "Fifty-five fifty-five," maybe. The double zero or eight hundred in your phone number example are often used , but if you said "eight two zero" 820 is what just about everyone would read. Four fives, perhaps, but that would still be somewhat unusual and as an intended title would be better stated explicitly. Without the plural though (just going by the posts, I've not even seen the review yet!) "four five" would always be interpreted as 45.
Formless One
Officer

Post by Formless One »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:32 pmIt's not intuitive when you're *reading* it, no, but it makes perfect sense when you're saying it out loud and don't have the number to look at.

When your saying it out loud it helps clarify how many digits there are and that you're not stuttering or repeating. It also works as an abbreviation shorthand.

Uh, no, as far as I am aware no one in the US and Canada says "double zero" when stating a phone number (and I work retail, where inputting phone numbers is how we look up loyalty accounts, so I hear a lot of people speak their phone number aloud on a daily basis). Its either "seventy eight hundred" or just "seven eight zero zero". Saying "double zero" is a provably British thing. So to an American reading the title of this film, our instinct would be to either say "five five five five" or "fifty-five fifty-five". THAT is what sounds natural to us.
“If something burns your soul with purpose and desire, it’s your duty to be reduced to ashes by it. Any other form of existence will be yet another dull book in the library of life.” --- Charles Bukowski
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

SFDebris wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:15 pm I hope it doesn't make it look like I didn't care about the reviews.
The review is of high quality and very enjoyable. I say this as a pretty big fan of the film since back when it was released.