Beast Wars: Deep Metal

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Archanubis
Officer

Beast Wars: Deep Metal

Post by Archanubis »

Was the review delayed? I noticed when checking the calendar that it was slated to be loaded this past Tuesday, but it does not appear to have been posted.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Beast Wars: Deep Metal

Post by TGLS »

Archanubis wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:57 pm Was the review delayed? I noticed when checking the calendar that it was slated to be loaded this past Tuesday, but it does not appear to have been posted.
Chuck has been demoralized by this anime situation so he's taking a short break.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

What finally broke me was listening to my brother after he lost his job. "I'm just so tired of starting over," he said again and again. Then I got home, looked at all the hard work I had already done and then shoved aside because of yet another thing beyond my control, and just couldn't start over again. Plus working on the capital punishment episode of Voyager doesn't help.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

You deserve a vacation, Chuck.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

SFDebris wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:53 pm What finally broke me was listening to my brother after he lost his job. "I'm just so tired of starting over," he said again and again. Then I got home, looked at all the hard work I had already done and then shoved aside because of yet another thing beyond my control, and just couldn't start over again. Plus working on the capital punishment episode of Voyager doesn't help.
If it's any consolation, we love you. Live can be quite the pita and the last few years have been so atrociously stupid in every imaginable way, that it's hard to imagine that anyone has had a good time. What lightened our mood every now and then were your witicisms and your really in-depth essays. Thank you for making all our lives the little bit brighter, one video at a time :)
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

I wish they'd done more with Depthcharge.

Him being a loner combined with how the series got went towards the end didn't allow for much room to show depth (heh) to his character beyond single-mind revenge.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

SFDebris wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:53 pm What finally broke me was listening to my brother after he lost his job. "I'm just so tired of starting over," he said again and again. Then I got home, looked at all the hard work I had already done and then shoved aside because of yet another thing beyond my control, and just couldn't start over again. Plus working on the capital punishment episode of Voyager doesn't help.
Yeah that's a hard episode to analyze if you're not in a good headspace. Given everything that's happened to you and your family, no wonder you're having issues with it. *hugs*
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Beastro wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:46 am I wish they'd done more with Depthcharge.

Him being a loner combined with how the series got went towards the end didn't allow for much room to show depth (heh) to his character beyond single-mind revenge.
The entire third season suffered a little from the "make things into new toys" mandate they had. In season 2 they upgraded all the characters in one fell swoop, but season 3 they had marching orders to make the new toy a specific focus... and it shows a little bit given that almost every single episode in the final season is about upgrading/introducing 1 character. Optimus, Depth Charge, Dinobot 2, Cheetor, Black Arachnia, Megatron, Tigerhawk... a full 7 out of 13 episodes are given over to doing upgrades and it affects the pacing.

(This was much, MUCH worse In the other mainframe shaow, War Planets/Shadow Raiders season 2 where it is SUPER obvious the toy company demanded the insane premise be incorporated more so the story about characters and drama turned into a thing with planets that had engines and moved around and got really really dumb.)

And of course, the most important episode where Ratrap fixes Dinobot got cut for being too dark and we got the worst episode of the series, Go With the Flow instead.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:20 am
Beastro wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:46 am I wish they'd done more with Depthcharge.

The entire third season suffered a little from the "make things into new toys" mandate they had. In season 2 they upgraded all the characters in one fell swoop, but season 3 they had marching orders to make the new toy a specific focus... and it shows a little bit given that almost every single episode in the final season is about upgrading/introducing 1 character. Optimus, Depth Charge, Dinobot 2, Cheetor, Black Arachnia, Megatron, Tigerhawk... a full 7 out of 13 episodes are given over to doing upgrades and it affects the pacing.

(This was much, MUCH worse In the other mainframe shaow, War Planets/Shadow Raiders season 2 where it is SUPER obvious the toy company demanded the insane premise be incorporated more so the story about characters and drama turned into a thing with planets that had engines and moved around and got really really dumb.)

And of course, the most important episode where Ratrap fixes Dinobot got cut for being too dark and we got the worst episode of the series, Go With the Flow instead.
I actually liked Season 2 of Shadowraiders because it got more mature and settled in. I didn't like how abruptly it ended with the story around the prison planet fragment, but I appreciated the ending where the protagonists for once "win" by simply surviving, not attaining victory. That makes the Beast Planet all the more intimidating.

Yhe only issue was that there was so much more to do with the premise of traveling around and it could have gotten darker. They could have wound up becoming like the crew of the Lexx and just led the Beast Planet around finding planets to gobble up inadvertently making its job easier in the attempt to gather forces to fight it.
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:20 am The entire third season suffered a little from the "make things into new toys" mandate they had. In season 2 they upgraded all the characters in one fell swoop, but season 3 they had marching orders to make the new toy a specific focus... and it shows a little bit given that almost every single episode in the final season is about upgrading/introducing 1 character. Optimus, Depth Charge, Dinobot 2, Cheetor, Black Arachnia, Megatron, Tigerhawk... a full 7 out of 13 episodes are given over to doing upgrades and it affects the pacing.
The ironic part was, there was question whether or not Hasbro was going to release the Tigerhawk toy for a while.