Stargate: Atlantis - Brain Storm

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fianna
Captain

Stargate: Atlantis - Brain Storm

Post by Fianna »

https://www.sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/atls5e16.php

Looks like a fun episode. Kind of reminds me of the show Eureka.
Sir Will
Officer

Re: Stargate: Atlantis - Brain Storm

Post by Sir Will »

Yeah I really liked that episode.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I never did buy the McKay/Keller relationship. It has the same stink as the Seven/Chakotay relationship. Just throwing them together at the end of the show. Especially as she also had ''hot bod'' Ronan after her at the same time.

McKay's relationship with the plant girl was far more believable, and dare I say it, more adorable. And the writers broke that up in the stupidest way. McKay is not dumb enough to take a wedding ring back after he has already told a woman about it. He just isn't.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

So for this episode Stargate filmed a "Bill Nye the Science Guy"-style wrap-up ending. In the end they decided not to use it because they felt it would make the whole thing feel too much like self-parody, but it was included as a deleted scene on the season's DVD release.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Chuck's speech about Rodney's heart is great and it describes in a nutshell why people love this character. It's kind of like Arnold Rimmer when you think about it. They are both massive dicks that we should hate, and yet they both have breakout status.

It's acting that dies it. Hewlett and Barrie are masters of the quiet sell. This material in the hands of anyone else wouldn't work.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Yeah, the episode does have an Eureka-like feeling about it.
I always found it a bit distracting from the main story, at the time it aired, the show was cancelled by SyFy so I, as well as other fans, were angry that the last episodes are basically just a bunch of weird low-budgeted adventures, and had jack shit to do with the main story. It's a nice Rodney-centric episode with some nice cameos, but that's pretty much all I can say about it, since the rest of the plot is extremely forgettable. As for the reason the episode even exists in the first place:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stargate/comme ... _with_bts/

So basically the episode only exists because the network demanded a green-themed episode. I guess this explains why the writers had Keller say Carlin's famous line: "You know, my Uncle George, he always hated the phrase "save the planet"" as their subtle way of trolling the network.
That, or Keller really is related to George Carlin.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:22 am I never did buy the McKay/Keller relationship. It has the same stink as the Seven/Chakotay relationship. Just throwing them together at the end of the show. Especially as she also had ''hot bod'' Ronan after her at the same time.

McKay's relationship with the plant girl was far more believable, and dare I say it, more adorable. And the writers broke that up in the stupidest way. McKay is not dumb enough to take a wedding ring back after he has already told a woman about it. He just isn't.
I bought it. Keller never felt like she was the type to fall for the brooding types like Ronan in the first place. She was opposite of Ronan in just very way. They didn't even click in that one episode about the other Runner.

The Chakotay/Seven thing was thrown at us in the literal last episode with zero buildup. Like how much interaction they really have leadogn up to Endgame? Keller and McKay had plenty of that and made far more sense.
I got nothing to say here.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:22 am I never did buy the McKay/Keller relationship. It has the same stink as the Seven/Chakotay relationship. Just throwing them together at the end of the show. Especially as she also had ''hot bod'' Ronan after her at the same time.

I mean, they didn't know there'd be no more Atlantis and they did build to it, more than a couple tangential holograms and then the finale. But I agree that he seemed to fit better with plant girl. But I still found their relationship ok.
McAvoy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:33 am I bought it. Keller never felt like she was the type to fall for the brooding types like Ronan in the first place. She was opposite of Ronan in just very way. They didn't even click in that one episode about the other Runner.
Agreed.
BlackoutCreature2 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:21 pm So for this episode Stargate filmed a "Bill Nye the Science Guy"-style wrap-up ending. In the end they decided not to use it because they felt it would make the whole thing feel too much like self-parody, but it was included as a deleted scene on the season's DVD release.
That's cool.