SNW: All Those Who Wander

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: SNW: All Those Who Wander

Post by Deledrius »

It's a weird choice, especially since SNW is making an effort to have some elements that feel like a retro-future 60s fashion came back around. But they're stuck between that and Discovery, which didn't make a single ounce of effort to be a part of the same universe. They could have made things easier on themselves, for sure.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

So rewatched the review, here's an idea. Why not make it the insect Xindi? Say the Xindi were fractured after say, a war from an invader and so the Insect Xindi, who never really accepted peace, are now trying to recoup their species and the Xindi empire and view all life as just brood mothers to populate a dying race. Be nice to change up Alien with bugs, we know the insect stuff happened with the Xindi, and bring back a race that Star Trek barely references ever.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Nobody700 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:57 pm So rewatched the review, here's an idea. Why not make it the insect Xindi? Say the Xindi were fractured after say, a war from an invader and so the Insect Xindi, who never really accepted peace, are now trying to recoup their species and the Xindi empire and view all life as just brood mothers to populate a dying race. Be nice to change up Alien with bugs, we know the insect stuff happened with the Xindi, and bring back a race that Star Trek barely references ever.
The Xindi rank as having the most wasted potential of pretty much an Star Trek race. The fact that there is 5 (6) species of Xindi really doesn't matter in the slightest apart from what ''hat'' each one is wearing. Change the Xindi council to all being humanoid but of differing nations and basically nothing would change. And remember, these are meant to be members of the Federation by the time of the Enterprise-J, so bringing them back would make a lot of sense.

Lets spice things up. And the great thing about pissing around with an ENT-exclusive species is that almost no one will care.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:25 am
Nobody700 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:57 pm So rewatched the review, here's an idea. Why not make it the insect Xindi? Say the Xindi were fractured after say, a war from an invader and so the Insect Xindi, who never really accepted peace, are now trying to recoup their species and the Xindi empire and view all life as just brood mothers to populate a dying race. Be nice to change up Alien with bugs, we know the insect stuff happened with the Xindi, and bring back a race that Star Trek barely references ever.
The Xindi rank as having the most wasted potential of pretty much an Star Trek race. The fact that there is 5 (6) species of Xindi really doesn't matter in the slightest apart from what ''hat'' each one is wearing. Change the Xindi council to all being humanoid but of differing nations and basically nothing would change. And remember, these are meant to be members of the Federation by the time of the Enterprise-J, so bringing them back would make a lot of sense.

Lets spice things up. And the great thing about pissing around with an ENT-exclusive species is that almost no one will care.
Maybe they just wanted to use a TOS species for the TOS era show. I think we can all agree that the Gorn as portrayed here should have been another species. Not only would it change nothing but also keep Arena as is. No retcons. Like I said it could have been any of those named species we have never seen before.
I got nothing to say here.
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

I am sort of with Chuck, for my many sins. If only because SNW is the only NuTrek since the movies I've been prepared to give time of day (admittedly only because Mum bought the DVDs and wanted to watch it as part of out Tuesday Night Telly Watching). So I'm kind of okay with Gorn-as-big-bad even though it's a bti screwy with continuity.

That. Said. The egg-spray was a step WAAAAY to far. I have NEVER found the infector killer monsters to be interesting. I got over that literally as single-digit-year old child after that one nightmare I had. So it loses marks for ever bothering with trying to use that concept, period.

Doesn't matter whether it's aliens, zombies or whatever, I don't find 'em interesting. The Borg get a pass - barely - but because of everything ELSE (like the adaption and hive-mind); assimilation nanoprobes were the least interesting idea they ever came up with for the Borg, and I include the Borg Queen in that. Actually having to do a proper operation to assimilate Picard was much better.

Y'know what I want to see, one of these days? An infector-killer thingy-doofer that *completely* fracks itselfup and picks the COMPLETELY wrong targets. So that all infecty-kill-y-stuff straight up is hard countered (like a biological thingy runs up against robots or contructs or undead or something) and the whole thing switches round so the infector-killers are the ones running and hiding and failing and ultimately just getting their silly infectious arses handed to them on a silver platter.

Just for some variety.

E.g. Borg verses undead or incorporeal creatures (can't be assimilated). Movie-Zombies or vampires verses Necromancer (*casts Control Undead*). Gorn/xenomorphs/etc etc. verses, like, Transformers or Gobots or, I dunno Daleks or something.

Actually, seeing the freaking Gobots stomp all over anything would just be frackin' priceless. Just imagine how happy it'd make Cy-Kill!

Oh come, on I can't be the ONLY one around here is is both old enough to have seen and actually who liked Gobots! I mean, sure,it wasn't Transformers, but it was still pretty cool. They had that cool hyperspace and the theme song was pretty great!

I'll get my cloak.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Aotrs Commander wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:12 pmActually, seeing the freaking Gobots stomp all over anything would just be frackin' priceless. Just imagine how happy it'd make Cy-Kill!

Oh come, on I can't be the ONLY one around here is is both old enough to have seen and actually who liked Gobots! I mean, sure,it wasn't Transformers, but it was still pretty cool. They had that cool hyperspace and the theme song was pretty great!
When I was 18 I was in the garage, found the Go-Bots movie vhs hidden away, and was initially puzzled. Quickly worked out that my mum had been so annoyed with me watching it over and over as a kid, and so had taken steps. So yeah you aren't the only one :D