SNW: All Those Who Wander

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

Re: SNW: All Those Who Wander

Post by TGLS »

Al-1701 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:08 am
TGLS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:23 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:01 pm I still say they should've used the Kzinti. They are known for their savagery, hostility towards Terrans, and habit of eating sapient beings. I guess they think people wouldn't take cat people seriously.
Probably difficult to look good too.
And making the Gorn look like Randal from Monsters Inc. is better?
Better than Cats.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:40 am
Al-1701 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:01 pm I still say they should've used the Kzinti. They are known for their savagery, hostility towards Terrans, and habit of eating sapient beings. I guess they think people wouldn't take cat people seriously.
Better than Cats.
I think the real reason for the lack of Kzinti would be ''Larry Niven's Estate.''
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:25 am
TGLS wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:40 am
Better than Cats.
I think the real reason for the lack of Kzinti would be ''Larry Niven's Estate.''
Larry Niven's Estate can't do anything about the Star Fleet Universe. I don't think that Paramount would have a tougher time.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

I gotta agree with the greek chorus on this one, I HATE the Gorn in SNW. I can get behind changing some stuff, but the whole point of Arena was that the Gorn WEREN'T monsters. They did bad stuff, but they're neighbors with the Klingons, any force entering their borders is an invasion to them. Hell the Gorn captain SPOKE to Kirk, and while I hate to quibble on little details, Kirk and Spock NEVER heard of the Gorn. SPOCK!

Really my main gripe is how the fuck would the Federation ever make peace with a force that literally views humans as incubators for their young. The Klingons and Romulans politically disagree with humanity, the Gorn view us as BROOD MOTHERS! That's a HUGE HURDLE in peace negotiations, and they HAVE too, given they're in Lower Decks.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Obviously this is a big, big wait and see, even more so with the strikes, but I do think they were trying to set up some stuff in the SNW s2 finale that will bring Gorn back more into line with how they were depicted in ToS.

Also feeling sorry for Chuck. Mentions he's getting it in the neck about his views on the Gorn in the video, and then gets it even more so with gusto here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Nobody700 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:15 pm I gotta agree with the greek chorus on this one, I HATE the Gorn in SNW. I can get behind changing some stuff, but the whole point of Arena was that the Gorn WEREN'T monsters. They did bad stuff, but they're neighbors with the Klingons, any force entering their borders is an invasion to them. Hell the Gorn captain SPOKE to Kirk, and while I hate to quibble on little details, Kirk and Spock NEVER heard of the Gorn. SPOCK!

Really my main gripe is how the fuck would the Federation ever make peace with a force that literally views humans as incubators for their young. The Klingons and Romulans politically disagree with humanity, the Gorn view us as BROOD MOTHERS! That's a HUGE HURDLE in peace negotiations, and they HAVE too, given they're in Lower Decks.
I'm actually genuinely struggling to think of a species-wide retcon worse than this one.

The Borg Queen is probably up there. Taking a species that is literally about "the strength of the combined whole" and then introducing this really jealous, pissy, often suicidal leader who thinks for herself is the exact opposite of that. It says a lot that many people think Star Trek:Enterprise did the Borg justice.

Giving the Q gender and human sexes. That was another doozy given how much Q took the piss out of the idea with Picard and Vash.

Other than that though... its the Gorn. Its either 1, 2 or 3.

Edit: Female Pon Farr. It's probably a 4.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:40 pmIt says a lot that many people think Star Trek:Enterprise did the Borg justice.
I put that down to the average quality of Enterprise compared to the average of the other shows up to that point being so much lower. Any episode of Enterprise that actually managed to be kinda watchable like the Borg one ended up looking like a triumph as it's like a cup of water to someone dying of thirst which makes it seem much better than it actually is.

There's also the double whammy impact of Unimatrix Zero and Endgame. I generally like Voyager, I do, but I despise those two, the first one especially, and so being the Borg episode that came after that makes it look bloody amazing again just by comparison
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

stryke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:35 pm Obviously this is a big, big wait and see, even more so with the strikes, but I do think they were trying to set up some stuff in the SNW s2 finale that will bring Gorn back more into line with how they were depicted in ToS.

Also feeling sorry for Chuck. Mentions he's getting it in the neck about his views on the Gorn in the video, and then gets it even more so with gusto here.
Hey I'm a huge fan of SF Debris, this is just one of the rare takes of his I rather dislike and do not agree with.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I don’t recall the borg queen doing anything for herself in spite of the collective.
Power laces... alright.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

stryke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:35 pm Also feeling sorry for Chuck. Mentions he's getting it in the neck about his views on the Gorn in the video, and then gets it even more so with gusto here.
People are saying they disagree, significantly, but no-one's being rude about it or having a go at him personally (on here anyway).