SNW: All Those Who Wander

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: SNW: All Those Who Wander

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:40 pm
Nobody700 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:15 pm I gotta agree with the greek chorus on this one, I HATE the Gorn in SNW. I can get behind changing some stuff, but the whole point of Arena was that the Gorn WEREN'T monsters. They did bad stuff, but they're neighbors with the Klingons, any force entering their borders is an invasion to them. Hell the Gorn captain SPOKE to Kirk, and while I hate to quibble on little details, Kirk and Spock NEVER heard of the Gorn. SPOCK!

Really my main gripe is how the fuck would the Federation ever make peace with a force that literally views humans as incubators for their young. The Klingons and Romulans politically disagree with humanity, the Gorn view us as BROOD MOTHERS! That's a HUGE HURDLE in peace negotiations, and they HAVE too, given they're in Lower Decks.
I'm actually genuinely struggling to think of a species-wide retcon worse than this one.

The Borg Queen is probably up there. Taking a species that is literally about "the strength of the combined whole" and then introducing this really jealous, pissy, often suicidal leader who thinks for herself is the exact opposite of that. It says a lot that many people think Star Trek:Enterprise did the Borg justice.

Giving the Q gender and human sexes. That was another doozy given how much Q took the piss out of the idea with Picard and Vash.

Other than that though... its the Gorn. Its either 1, 2 or 3.

Edit: Female Pon Farr. It's probably a 4.
Gorn is the one thing about SNW I don't like. This could easily have been one of those species mentioned but never seen.

Borg Queen to be would have been fine if they kept her only to First Contact but Voyager truly ruined not just the Borg but the Queen. Picard was just the cherry on top.

I think the Klingons in S1 of Disco would be number two after the Gorn. Then they reverted the Klingons back to their normal look due to the backlash.
I got nothing to say here.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I wonder if Axinar messed with their plans for Season 1 of Disco. They were planning to do the Fed-Klingon war and here was a fan project that already occupied the mainstream lane of depicting it and already too far along and too well known to be ignored. Or, they decided to cover the Fed-Klingon war to justify trying to kill Axinar. Either way, Disco Season 1 was a mess.

But I agree the Gorn is the only real fly in the ointment for Strange New Worlds.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Al-1701 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:06 pm I wonder if Axinar messed with their plans for Season 1 of Disco. They were planning to do the Fed-Klingon war and here was a fan project that already occupied the mainstream lane of depicting it and already too far along and too well known to be ignored. Or, they decided to cover the Fed-Klingon war to justify trying to kill Axinar. Either way, Disco Season 1 was a mess.

But I agree the Gorn is the only real fly in the ointment for Strange New Worlds.
STD is the ENT of New Trek. Very few people think its great. Its either average to poor. Certainly very few would put it ahead of LD or SNW. Season 1 was clearly, no question, made for fans of Star Trek 2009 and not Old Trek. Given what happened to that trilogy I think we can see why that was a mistake. Abandoning the ensemble and making the whole thing about Captain Micheal ''Dylan Hunt'' Burnham was dumb too.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Al-1701 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:06 pm I wonder if Axinar messed with their plans for Season 1 of Disco. They were planning to do the Fed-Klingon war and here was a fan project that already occupied the mainstream lane of depicting it and already too far along and too well known to be ignored. Or, they decided to cover the Fed-Klingon war to justify trying to kill Axinar. Either way, Disco Season 1 was a mess.

It wasn't that mainstream. Star Trek fan films even the good ones aren't being watched even by alot of Trek fans.

If Disco producers wanted to they could have easily done something similar.

I suspect the one season of the Klingon Federation War was planned and mostly depicted how they wanted. The problem with season 1 Disco was that they couldn't stick to being a reimagining of TOS Trek or a soft reboot or a complete reboot.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:01 am I suspect the one season of the Klingon Federation War was planned and mostly depicted how they wanted. The problem with season 1 Disco was that they couldn't stick to being a reimagining of TOS Trek or a soft reboot or a complete reboot.
Most likely the biggest problem with season 1 was kicking out the showrunner and retooling the entire premise in just over a year from some time-hopping anthology intrigue show into the show we got.

The behind-the-scenes documentaries for Discovery are probably going to make "Chaos on the Bridge" look tame.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:22 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:01 am I suspect the one season of the Klingon Federation War was planned and mostly depicted how they wanted. The problem with season 1 Disco was that they couldn't stick to being a reimagining of TOS Trek or a soft reboot or a complete reboot.
Most likely the biggest problem with season 1 was kicking out the showrunner and retooling the entire premise in just over a year from some time-hopping anthology intrigue show into the show we got.

The behind-the-scenes documentaries for Discovery are probably going to make "Chaos on the Bridge" look tame.
The whole drama that I have heard about Discovery leading up to and the end of the second season always reminded me of how TNG first two season were. The only difference was that Hurley got fired but Kurtzman didn't.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Ahh Star Trek discovery season 1... how I'll never miss thee.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

We have so many episodes and so many seasons and so many movies that I have never seen a near complete reversal of one season in Trek like season 1 of Disco.

Hell the ship designs are doing reversal too. We are not seeing those Eaves type Stargleet ships from season 1 and seeing more of the 'modernized' versions that are more in line with classic Trek.

Disco/SNW Enterprise is a beautiful ship. I just hope they don't mess with the refit if she ever appears. (The least filmed major model despite being in six films and yet being considered a beautiful ship itself too).
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I suspect the ship design consistency issues comes down to way too many cooks.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:56 pm I suspect the ship design consistency issues comes down to way too many cooks.
Discovery's design came from Fuller wanting more 'flat' designs in Trek. Eaves on the other hand just tends to design 'cool' looking designs without real regard how they would function within Trek.