Strange New Worlds Season 2

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nobody700
Officer

Strange New Worlds Season 2

Post by Nobody700 »

I assume most convos of this new season will go here, so decided to make it.

Lots of ups and downs this season, but hey, still a decent season.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
stryke
Captain

Re: Strange New Worlds Season 2

Post by stryke »

Ups and downs is very much the phrase I'd think of too.

Season 1 is more consistent, while season 2 has higher highs but maybe more lows. This first one I'd make a case as one of the lows. It's a very breezy heist which didn't do a lot for me.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Discovery and Strange New Worlds... I just can't. They are completely against canon as was previously established. The characters in them that share the names of my favourite characters just. Are. Not. Them.

Who is this guy pretending to be Kirk? Who is this Spock? Who is this Uhura? How do these people in just a couple of years end up as who we knew because i'm not seeing it. This Enterprise pisses me off too. I get that they couldn't bring back the 1960s for a modern show. I get it. Some things needed to be updated.But things like two turbolifts and blue nacelles boil my blood. And the fact is that TOS, TNG, DS9, ENT, PIC, LD and TAS all say that it DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THIS.

And God damn me... i'm going to say it... Abrams did a better job of finding people that look and act like the TOS crew than this does. Even Chris Pine got there by the third film after a terrible start.

I have stretched to Lower Decks. That's good. It respects Star Trek more than I ever gave it credit for. I even kind of like Picard season 3 - it sucks but at least it tried damn it. But these two shows are unfaithful and just generally full of cringe like them all fucking singing that one time. Crap haircuts too - I don't know if that woman who is bald on both sides of her head makes it into this season but she looked as if she had been in for brain surgery. Trust me, I know what that looks like.

Hard pass. In my head these are reboots and never will be anything else. 0/10.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Your take is... uh... lot harsher than mine.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:52 am Your take is... uh... lot harsher than mine.
It is harsh, but it's not that far off how I feel about Discovery so I can't give clearspira grief for it.

I think they possibly could find something to like in SNW if you can divorce it from it's unfortunate origins but I also appreciate that does take some effort that doesn't need to be made if someone doesn't want to.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Admittedly I've only seen Chuck's reviews rather than episodes themselves but I actually really like the design style, to me it's the classic Enterprise without looking incredibly dated; as much as enjoyed the recreations in TNG and DS9 they did look and feel rather out of place. Some things just don't date well; I like to think of them as like the special effects - how it could be represented at the time, rather than an accurate representation of what the future's really supposed to look like. And many years down the line the same will be true of what we produce now.

Not getting the characterisation at all recognisable is a problem though, but I can't really judge that from the reviews.
hypocratus
Redshirt

Post by hypocratus »

One of the biggest problems for me is that the Enterprise in 'Strange New Worlds' make the Enterprise D in 'The Next Generation' look like a sub-compact when you compare the size of the interiors.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Ups and downs? I very much disagree. All ups, to varying degrees. Episode 4 is probably one of the weakest of the series, but still not bad. Episodes 7 and 9 are fantastic.

As far as episode 1 goes, the episode gets kinda looked down on but I think some are needlessly harsh. While it's overall maybe on the weaker side for the season, I think it's still a good episode with some nice fun in there.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hypocratus wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:23 am One of the biggest problems for me is that the Enterprise in 'Strange New Worlds' make the Enterprise D in 'The Next Generation' look like a sub-compact when you compare the size of the interiors.
I think it might be the more complex shots done with the SNW Enterprise than the model effects done with the Enterprise D. It could very well be just the SFX that gives you that idea. We really don't get shots that truly shows how big the Big D really is. And she is a big girl.

The SNW Enterprise is actually bigger than the TOS Enterprise but not quite as big as the Abrams Enterprise.
I got nothing to say here.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I assume this was referring to the size of the sets, particularly the crew quarters, sickbay, engineering, etc.

Everything is OMGHUGE because they're more concerned with showing off than making something that is based on asking in-universe questions when designing a space.

(And that's ignoring the worst offender: turbolift caverns)