Strange New Worlds Season 2

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
hypocratus
Redshirt

Re: Strange New Worlds Season 2

Post by hypocratus »

I was referring to the size of the sets. They showed the ensigns quarters where they had three small berths in a room that would make the apartments on 'Friends' envious.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:11 pm I assume this was referring to the size of the sets, particularly the crew quarters, sickbay, engineering, etc.

Everything is OMGHUGE because they're more concerned with showing off than making something that is based on asking in-universe questions when designing a space.

(And that's ignoring the worst offender: turbolift caverns)
Yep didn't see the last word: interior. Oops.

I agree. The SNW is actually bigger than the TOS Enterprise but not Abrams big. I think it's around 400 some meteters long as opposed to the TOS being 289 meters.

That infamous shot of traveling through the engineering hull would definitely push the ship to be around a kilometer long. I know what a ship's interior looks like on a ship around the Enterprise size. The modern US super carrier is over 300 meters long and believe I have walked and ran on that deck so many many many times. The hangar bay alone is huge and mostly the length of the ship and what we saw would dwarf that.
I got nothing to say here.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Deledrius wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:11 pm I assume this was referring to the size of the sets, particularly the crew quarters, sickbay, engineering, etc.

Everything is OMGHUGE because they're more concerned with showing off than making something that is based on asking in-universe questions when designing a space.

(And that's ignoring the worst offender: turbolift caverns)
They're concerned with nice looking environments that give them room to work.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

All right, so the law episode...

Am I the only one who thought Una's lawyer sucked and was a generally awful person who for all her shit, was clearly full of it and had to be forced to defend a woman just because Una committed the crime of... helping people which offended her lawyer ex friend?
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nobody700 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:53 pm All right, so the law episode...

Am I the only one who thought Una's lawyer sucked and was a generally awful person who for all her shit, was clearly full of it and had to be forced to defend a woman just because Una committed the crime of... helping people which offended her lawyer ex friend?
Her lawyer made it clear she didn't see this as a case to help her but to draw attention to the larger social issue.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yeah, not my favorite fictional lawyer.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:13 pm

Her lawyer made it clear she didn't see this as a case to help her but to draw attention to the larger social issue.
Yeah, which proves my point that she's a shit person who cares more about her causes than actual people.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Her general suckitude was part of the plot of the episode so yep totally.

This is such an odd one to me. I thought it was pretty weak on watching it, and yet the subplot about her recruitment poster in the crossover did a lot to make me view it more fondly in retrospect.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I am only on my first watching but she did annoy me. I will need to re-watch it for a better feeling on the character. When it comes to episodes or movies I need a second watching to catch things because I kinda shut down the brain when I watch them. It's not saying that I won't catch bad things, like it didn't take a second watching of Ghostbusters 2016 to catch the slapstick comedy or that scenes seem to require a laugh track so to be speak. Or the camera and lighting work in Battlefield Earth was horrible.

The lawyer though I wonder was intentionally done that way for a reason. Maybe this week I will re-watch it.

For the record I only rewatched the Lower Decks episode because I wanted to focus on the SNW crew reactions. I also just happen to enjoy that episode.
I got nothing to say here.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:20 pm

I am only on my first watching but she did annoy me. I will need to re-watch it for a better feeling on the character. When it comes to episodes or movies I need a second watching to catch things because I kinda shut down the brain when I watch them. It's not saying that I won't catch bad things, like it didn't take a second watching of Ghostbusters 2016 to catch the slapstick comedy or that scenes seem to require a laugh track so to be speak. Or the camera and lighting work in Battlefield Earth was horrible.

The lawyer though I wonder was intentionally done that way for a reason. Maybe this week I will re-watch it.

For the record I only rewatched the Lower Decks episode because I wanted to focus on the SNW crew reactions. I also just happen to enjoy that episode.
One point I shoulda made clear but did not, so shame on me, is how her behavior came off. Instead of coming off as mad at Una for how Una was... which still makes her childish to me, it came off more to me (even unintended) as 'I am very much for the rights of my people... UNLESS ONE ANNOYS ME, THAN I'M FINE WITH IT!' Like being pro civil rights... until that neighbor with the loud dog gets beaten by the cops for walking while black, than saying 'HAH, HE DESERVED IT' and highfiving everyone. She came off as a self righteous dick, which hurt the episode for me.