Atlantis: Runner

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Atlantis: Runner

Post by clearspira »

It's kind of fun looking back on this epsiode. I cannot think of anyone else who has come further from his Stargate roots than Jason Mamoa although Christopher Judge as Kratos is a close second.

I'm really happy for him. Science fiction typecasting is such an anchor around your neck. All of the other actors who made it big such as Richard Dean Anderson, Robert Carlyle, Robert Picardo etc. were big BEFORE Stargate. And even they were kind of typecasted.

Regarding the episode itself, Ford was infinitely more interesting as an anti-villain. He's a tragic figure a bit like Gary Mitchell from TOS. He didn't ask what happened to him. It would have been nice to see him back but it really does seem as if he died on that Hive.

The problem with him as a hero is that he really is just kind of ''there''. It's very hard to pin down anything remarkable or noteworthy about him.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Atlantis: Runner

Post by McAvoy »

It is amazing Mamoa is gotten this far. And you are right at least for Stargate.

Offhand no one aside from Patrick Stewart had that sort of rise. Remember Stewart was an unknown in the US, sure he was in Excalibur and Dune but he would have been just another British actor that you would occasionally see.

Maybe Brent Spiner as a distant second. The actress that played Naomi had a nice post-Voyager career but last time I checked she retired from acting. Siddig had some nice Hollywood roles too. Kingdom of Heaven would be arguably his biggest visible one.
I got nothing to say here.