VOY: Bride of Chaotica

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

VOY: Bride of Chaotica

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I have the feeling this could have been a 10 episode but 8 feels about right.

I feel like they lacked the kind of joy a Star Wars parody would be (and Star Wars was originally going to be Flash Gordon). There's a little much willingness to look down on this sort of cheesy science fiction in-universe when Star Trek isn't much better.

Like making fun of the miniskirts in the DS9 Tribble episode is done with a smile while this is with an eyeroll.

But Chaotica is easily one of the best villains in the show.
stryke
Captain

Re: VOY: Bride of Chaotica

Post by stryke »

This is one of the few eps I disagree with Chuck on because I don't at all get the eyeroll energy coming from this.

It's in character for the Voyager crew to not at all get it apart from Kim and Paris, while it's entirely in character for Jadzia to be in love with the miniskirts because that was an era she was still alive for.

It makes Janeway getting into the swing of things all the funnier because she was so resistant initially.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Its kind of funny the maybe/maybe not mocking of the miniskirts in retrospect given how both the Reboot and SNW have embraced them - although SNW also has pants alongside them? I dunno. Starfleet uniform code has always been nonsense anyway.

Incidentally, isn't it time we brought back the male skirt from TNG? I'm serious. I think it was probably the most progressive thing about TNG season 1 - the problem was that the 1980s and 1990s were not ready for it. I find it really unbelievable actually that in the ultra-liberal Federation it will still only be women who wear skirts.

Come on, have the balls to do it, Star Trek. You always like to claim that you are breaking down barriers. Lets break down one that is obviously going to happen irl one day and you'll get some free publicity from the terminally offended.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:30 am Incidentally, isn't it time we brought back the male skirt from TNG? I'm serious. I think it was probably the most progressive thing about TNG season 1 - the problem was that the 1980s and 1990s were not ready for it. I find it really unbelievable actually that in the ultra-liberal Federation it will still only be women who wear skirts.

Come on, have the balls to do it, Star Trek. You always like to claim that you are breaking down barriers. Lets break down one that is obviously going to happen irl one day and you'll get some free publicity from the terminally offended.
No. It looked ridiculous. Much better getting rid of them for everyone, just as (eventually) getting rid of Troi's outfit and putting her in a proper uniform was.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Riedquat wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:53 am
clearspira wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:30 am Incidentally, isn't it time we brought back the male skirt from TNG? I'm serious. I think it was probably the most progressive thing about TNG season 1 - the problem was that the 1980s and 1990s were not ready for it. I find it really unbelievable actually that in the ultra-liberal Federation it will still only be women who wear skirts.

No. It looked ridiculous. Much better getting rid of them for everyone, just as (eventually) getting rid of Troi's outfit and putting her in a proper uniform was.
The design was stupid, the concept isn't.

Star Trek's incredible liberal utopia still has an extremely conservative view of gender. And that's me of all people saying that.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I mean Boimler and Mariner both wore the skants but that's because it's Lower Decks.

They were also redesigned to look like Medieval tunics, which actually worked pretty well for them.

Just give some pants under them (women used to wear hose) and they're fine.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:38 pm

Star Trek's incredible liberal utopia still has an extremely conservative view of gender. And that's me of all people saying that.
It makes sense for everyone to have pants for the uniform just from a PPE standard. They crawl around Jeffries tubes and do maintenance work in them, after all.

The basic point is sound though; in real life I know a few guys who casually wear kilts just for comfort. Has to be a kilt though, those little skirts from TNG would not make the cut.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:34 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:38 pm

It makes sense for everyone to have pants for the uniform just from a PPE standard. They crawl around Jeffries tubes and do maintenance work in them, after all.

The basic point is sound though; in real life I know a few guys who casually wear kilts just for comfort. Has to be a kilt though, those little skirts from TNG would not make the cut.
Well you should wear pants to cover the legs. Not just the knees.

Its funny with kilts. I have worn them (with underwear), and they are very comfortable because everything is free and breezy. Even with underwear.
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:30 am Its kind of funny the maybe/maybe not mocking of the miniskirts in retrospect given how both the Reboot and SNW have embraced them - although SNW also has pants alongside them? I dunno. Starfleet uniform code has always been nonsense anyway.

Incidentally, isn't it time we brought back the male skirt from TNG? I'm serious. I think it was probably the most progressive thing about TNG season 1 - the problem was that the 1980s and 1990s were not ready for it. I find it really unbelievable actually that in the ultra-liberal Federation it will still only be women who wear skirts.

You know, you may have a point there. I am surprised to find myself agreeing with you. I'd like to see some starfleet men in skirts.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Shouldn't uniforms be, um uniform?