Use of transporters and shields

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
drewder
Officer

Use of transporters and shields

Post by drewder »

In today's repost of Arsenal of Freedom chuck mentions that sometimes the producers forget that they can't beam through shields. What are the episodes where they are able to beam through raised shields.
stryke
Captain

Re: Use of transporters and shields

Post by stryke »

Off the top of my head I know there's one where Scotty shows up in TNG where they claim they can do it due to having the codes.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Didn't O'Brien do it in The Wounded to get on board the Phoenix?

Do we know of examples of when one Starfleet ship cannot do it against another?
I got nothing to say here.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

"No beaming through shields" was first established in TOS: Arena. They first beamed through the shields four episodes later in TOS: A Taste of Armageddon (after being unable to do so earlier in the episode).
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Honestly I can't recall a specific one but I remember a few where the shields are up and the crew beams up to their ships anyway... which is weird cause I feel shields should be unable to ever be beamed through, even by your own transporters.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I kinda wisht why established that it is basically a matter of chance in universe if you can or can't.

Maybe show us what happens if you fail to get pass shields?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:48 pm I kinda wisht why established that it is basically a matter of chance in universe if you can or can't.

Me too. Offhand we only really see or at least hear what happens when the transporters fail/or not sophisticated enough. TMP and that one episode in Enterprise where a crew member was transported with leaves imbedded in him.

Actually Enterprise would have been the best time to show the dangers of the transporter.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:40 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:48 pm I kinda wisht why established that it is basically a matter of chance in universe if you can or can't.

Me too. Offhand we only really see or at least hear what happens when the transporters fail/or not sophisticated enough. TMP and that one episode in Enterprise where a crew member was transported with leaves imbedded in him.

Actually Enterprise would have been the best time to show the dangers of the transporter.
Enterprise did the thing where beaming up with leaves blowing around embedded the leaves into the transported and left him poisoned from them.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Nealithi wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:56 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:40 am

Enterprise did the thing where beaming up with leaves blowing around embedded the leaves into the transported and left him poisoned from them.
That was the one I was talking about. But having that happen at least a few times in the show would have sold it to the audience that the transporters were a last resort. Then again, I would have been happy if they left them out completely.